North Bank Bridge Discussion (Tower A)

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: North Bank Bridge vs North Station Ops & Future

Postby Arlington » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:21 pm

StefanW wrote:I took some pictures of the new North Bank Bridge center span from train #164 this morning http://gallery.me.com/stefanw#100186

Nice shots! I look forward to seeing the view from the other side too!
"Trying to solve congestion by making roadways wider is like trying to solve obesity by buying bigger pants."--Charles Marohn
Arlington

Postby jamesinclair » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:55 am

Rail fans are going to love this bridge.
jamesinclair

Postby MBTA3247 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:39 pm

jamesinclair wrote:Rail fans are going to love this bridge.

Let's hope they don't put those fences with the really dense links on it.
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
MBTA3247

Postby 130MM » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:52 am

All I can say is, "Don't be walking on that bridge when the snow plow goes by on the ramp above!"

DAW
130MM

Postby StefanW » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:45 pm

Arlington wrote:Nice shots! I look forward to seeing the view from the other side too!

Thanks very much!

I just put up shots of the other side. Same URL. http://gallery.me.com/stefanw#100186

Taken from the top level of a K-car this morning. I think you get a feeling for how close the bridge comes to the top of a K-car!

I was wrong about what I said before... On the Cambridge side of the tracks, the footbridge column is more restricting of the RoW than the Route 1 loop ramp column. However, it still looks like another track could go in - not that it would matter without another draw span. :-)
StefanW

Postby MickD » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:44 pm

When is this scheduled to be open for use ??
MickD

Postby Arlington » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:07 pm

MickD wrote:When is this scheduled to be open for use ??

Mass Hwy Dept project site says construction ends "Spring 2012" (http://www.mhd.state.ma.us/ProjectInfo/ ... _NO=605726 ). Since the MBTA sometimes shows projects as being in "Construction" phase long after they open, I"m hoping it opens sooner and they're just prettifying / laying sod in the spring.
"Trying to solve congestion by making roadways wider is like trying to solve obesity by buying bigger pants."--Charles Marohn
Arlington

Re: North Bank Bridge Discussion (Tower A)

Postby Arlington » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:52 pm

I spotted additional bridge sections (which looked to be the left and right sides of the Cambridge side approach) staged on trailers alongside the tracks on Saturday (Sep 10). Have they been put in place yet?
Arlington

Postby BostonUrbEx » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:55 pm

As far as I can tell, the entire steel span is in place from end to end. It completely clears the eastern end over the Millers River and it appears they're laying slabs from west to east and currently have these slabs just to the easternmost track (so I assume the western end is completely in place as well). Not sure if there will be an additional layer of some sort to go on these slabs, or if that's all there is to it.
BostonUrbEx

Postby BostonUrbEx » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:36 pm

Hmm, apparently the western-most span or two are not place, oddly enough. I guess the slabs are over the tracks only. All other sections are in though.
BostonUrbEx

Postby Ron Newman » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:47 am

130MM wrote:And with the hospital in Chelsea, visitors will no longer be able to take the train or Orange Line directly to the hospital. Progress?

I thought the plan was to move the hospital to the Charlestown Navy Yard. When did it change to Chelsea?
Ron Newman

Postby Ron Newman » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:49 am

boblothrope wrote:Wasn't it common for people to illegally cross the tracks there in the past?

Yes, I've done that several times, even carrying a bicycle with me. But haven't tried in in the last few years.
Ron Newman

Postby BostonUrbEx » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:27 am

Ron Newman wrote:
130MM wrote:And with the hospital in Chelsea, visitors will no longer be able to take the train or Orange Line directly to the hospital. Progress?

I thought the plan was to move the hospital to the Charlestown Navy Yard. When did it change to Chelsea?

Still is. The entire skeleton is already up right on the Mystic, on the Charlestown side.
BostonUrbEx

Postby boblothrope » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:51 pm

Ron Newman wrote:
boblothrope wrote:Wasn't it common for people to illegally cross the tracks there in the past?

Yes, I've done that several times, even carrying a bicycle with me. But haven't tried in in the last few years.

Wasn't the Miller's River in the way once you got to the Charlestown side of the tracks?
boblothrope

Postby Ron Newman » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:02 pm

I don't recall having to ford any river to make this crossing. I would have turned back had I found such an obstacle.
Ron Newman

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)