Books Books Books

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Books Books Books

Postby jrc520 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:32 pm

So I've started my book collection on BERy and EMSRy. I already have Streetcar Lines of the Hub, the two Color Boston Trolley volumes, the Tremont St Subway book, and my wife just gave me a 6th edition BERy System Guide. What I seek now, from my esteemed colleagues here, are recommendations on books, and likelyhood of me finding said books. And if you know how much they are, cool. I can be patient, since funds are limited anyways, and I know a lot of books I am looking for are out of print(Maybe work with BSRA or such for ebooks?) Thanks again.
jrc520

Re: Books Books Books

Postby MBTA3247 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:05 pm

I'd also be interested in hearing any recommendations for books on the Eastern Mass. The only one I've ever seen is "From Boston to the Berkshires", and that has only a general history of the system.
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
MBTA3247

Postby edbear » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:00 pm

The Connecticut Valley Chapter NRHS did a number of soft cover booklets on some aspects of the EMSR in the late 1950s into the early 1960s. They show up at local train shows now and then. Among the EMSR subjects are overview of equipment at time of incorporation of the EMSR from the ruins of the Bay State St Ry. Most of the articles are on equipment but there's data on the various lines too. Other subjects are EMSR freight operations, several articles on sem-convertible cars, Birney cars, the 6000 and 7000 lightweights, Brockton St. Ry., snowfighting equipment, Hyde Park Div.The Colegroves and Kevin Farrell sometimes have these back issues. Upcoming train shows are in Wakefield in October and Marlboro in early December. Motor Coach Age which also shows up from time to time has issues covering bus operations but they do tell about the transition from rail to bus on the Melrose and Wakefield Divisions and there is a large issue that has the entire EMSR bus story until MBTA acquired EM in the 1960s. This has motorization dates or disposition of all the rail routes. There are also a few Roll Sign issues that have EMSR articles, one on the Salem Division that I know of. BSRA, publisher of Roll Sign, does show up at some Boston area train shows and W. Springfield in January with back issues.
edbear

Postby 3rdrail » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:16 pm

520 - There is a lot of stuff still available either on Ebay, BSRA, or a local train shows. If you are interested in cars that have run over the years up to the PCC car, you can't beat the "Streetcars of Boston" series by O.R. Cummings. The six series of volumes is the very best, in my opinion, for factual descriptions of anything that you might want to know about all of these cars from the West End through the MTA. Each volume concentrates on one or two varieties. The set is a "must-have" if you are a serious researcher on the subject. Secondly, join BSRA if you're not a member already, so that you'll get all of their publications as advertised. Over the years, BSRA has contributed heavily towards publications on this subject. If you like trackless trolleys, Bradley Clarke's "Trackless Trolleys of Boston" can't be beat, and a book that is actually a children's book, but remains one of my favorite's is McKendry's "Beneath the Streets of Boston". McKendry is a local artist who has a knack for drawing images of early construction on the subway tunnels, els, etc. that I have not seen anywhere else. 3247 - for EMStRyCo, I enjoy the National Railway Historical Society's "Hyde Park Division". Lots of good stuff in this one as well. I see this one at shows all the time. Enjoy the books but also enjoy the hunt.
~Paul Joyce~
[i]Moderator: Toy Trains, Model Railroading, Outdoor and Live Steam

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Postby dieciduej » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:23 am

520 here is a listing of books and their authors that deal with Boston, BERy, MTA, MBTA, EMSRy and so on. Although I was there was a definitive book on the EMSRy, asking around it has not been written.

Boston Transit Commission Annual Reports - Boston Transit Commission
Boston Trolleys In Color Volume 1: The North Side - Volkmer
Boston Trolleys in Color Volume 2: The South Side - Volkmer
Boston, Revere Beach & Lynn Railroad, Narrow Gauge RR - Liljestrand; Sweetland
Boston's Blue Line; Through the East Boston Tunnel - Cheney
Boston's Main Line EL: The Formative Years 1879-1908 - Chiasson
Boston's Red Line; Bridging the Charles From Alewife to Braintree - Cheney
BSRA # 1 PCC Cars, Boston Elevated, MTA - Frazier
BSRA # 2 Semi-Convertible Cars, BERy, MTA (Type 1 To 5 Cars) - Frazier
BSRA # 3 Boston's Dallas Cars - Anderson
BSRA # 4 Rapid Transit Cars in Boston - BSRA
BSRA # 5 Rapid Transit Lines in Boston - BSRA
BSRA # 6 PCC Cars of Boston 1937-1967 - Anderson
BSRA # 7 The Trackless Trolleys of Boston - Clarke
BSRA # 8 Transit Boston 1850-1970 - Clarke
BSRA # 9 Rapid Transit Boston - Clarke
BSRA #10 South Shore; Quincy-Boston - Clarke; Cheney
BSRA #11 Trackless Trolleys of the Fitchburg & Lemominster St. Ry. Co. - Clarke
BSRA #12 Trolleys Along the Turnpike, Boston & Worcester St Ry. - Cummings
BSRA #13 Newport By Trolley, Bay State Newport Division - O'Hanley
BSRA #14 The Boston Transit Album - Clarke
BSRA #15 Rhode Island Transit Album - Molloy
BSRA #16 Narrow Gauge, The Story of The B.R.B. & L. - Stanley
BSRA #17 The Boston Rapid Transit Album - Clarke
BSRA #18 The Trackless Trolleys of Rhode Island - Wonson
BSRA #19 Boston's Commuter Rail the First 150 Years - Humphrey; Clark
BSRA #20 Boston's Commuter Rail, Second Section - Humphrey; Clark
BSRA #21 From Boston To the Berkshires (Elec Rys of MA) - Calrson; Harding
BSRA #22 Tremont St. Subway, Century of Public Service - Clarke; Cummings
BSRA #23 Streetcar Lines of the Hub The 1940s Heyday of Electric Transit in Boston - Clarke
BSRA #24 Boston Transit Equipment 1979-2009 - Prescott
Building of a Transit Line; The MBTA's Haymarket-North Extension - Keville
Change at Park Street Under - Cudahy
Mass Northeastern Street Railway Volume 1: Newburyport Division - Cummings
Mass Northeastern Street Railway Volume 2: Merrimac Division Trolleys To Salisbury Beach - Cummings
Mass Northeastern Street Railway Volume 3: Amesbury Division Trolleys To Hampton Beach - Cummings
Mass Northeastern Street Railway Volume 4: Salem Division Trolleys To Canobie Lake Park - Cummings
Mass Northeastern Street Railway Volume 5: Cars and Roster - Cummings
PCC Cars of North America - Cox
PCC Cars of the United States A Book of Plans-Variations of an American Classic - Zen-Ruffinen
Streetcars of Boston Volume 1: Closed Horse and Electric Cars 1897-1900 - Cummings
Streetcars of Boston Volume 2: Open Horse and Electric Cars - Cummings
Streetcars of Boston Volume 3: Closed and Semi-Convertibles Cars 1903-1908 - Cummings
Streetcars of Boston Volume 4: Type 4 Semi-Convertibles and Trailers 1911-1952 - Cummings
Streetcars of Boston Volume 5: Articulated and Center Entrance Cars 1912-1953 - Cummings
Streetcars of Boston Volume 6: Birneys, Type 5 Semi, Parlor, Private and Mail Cars - Cummings
Surface Cars of Boston 1903-1963 - Cummings
Transportation Bulletin #08 The Trolley Air Line - A History of the Boston & Worcester Street Railway - 1954 (New England Street Railway) - Cummings
Transportation Bulletin #25 Blue Hill Street Railway - 1957 (New England Street Railway) - Cummings
Transportation Bulletin #35 The Manchester Street Railway - 1960 (New England Street Railway) - Cummings
Transportation Bulletin #48 General Description of Rolling Stock, Eastern Mass Street Railway - May 1958 - Cummings
Transportation Bulletin #50 1300 & 1700 Class Semi-Convertible Cars, Bay State Street Railway - July 1958 - Cummings
Transportation Bulletin #51 Bay State St Ry 4100, 4200 & 4300 Class Semi-Convertible Cars - August 1958 - Cummings
Transportation Bulletin #55 Semi Convertible Cars, Eastern Mass St Ry w/ 1/4" Plan #4387 - December 1958 - Cummings
Transportation Bulletin #56 Birney Cars, Eastern Mass St Ry - January-February 1959 - Cummings
Transportation Bulletin #58 Trolley Parlor Cars Of New England - May-June 1959 - Cummings
Transportation Bulletin #59 Brockton & Plymouth Street Railway - July-August-September 1959 - Cummings
Transportation Bulletin #64 Trolley Freight and Express Operations, Bay State Street Railway - August-September 1960 - Cummings
Transportation Bulletin #65 MTA Riverside Line Extension, 1959 - October 1960 - July 1961 - Dana
Transportation Bulletin #67 Haverhill, Gerogetown & Danvers St Ry - August 1962 - February 1963 - Cummings; Cunninngham
Transportation Bulletin #69 To 71 Eastern Mass Street Railway 1963-1965 - Cummings
Transportation Bulletin #79 Berkshire Street Railway 1972 - Cummings
Transportation Bulletin #82 Hyde Park Division, Bay State Street Railway 1975 - Borrup; Smith
Trolleys Under the Hub - Cheney; Sammarco
When Boston Rode The EL - Cheney; Sammarco

And there you have it.

JoeD
dieciduej

Postby canobiecrazy » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:48 am

As previously stated, "Beneath the Streets of Boston" Is a great book. Very informative but to the point, and great illustrations. I think that its by a local author, too. I got my copy at the Seashore Trolley Museum's bookstore.
Bring the Blue Line to Lynn!
canobiecrazy

Postby Teamdriver » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:06 am

Beneath the streets of Boston : building America's first subway
McKendry, Joe, 1972-
Beckoning Readers to explore the territory beneath Boston's streets, Joe McKendry explores a century-old world when Beantown designed and created the country's first subway. In stunning artwork and through a fascinating and historically accurate narrative of Boston's first "Big Dig," you will enter the subterranean realm of workers who dug
read more...
Publisher: David R. Godine,
Pub date: c2005.
Pages: 1 v. (unpaged) :
ISBN: 1567922848
Item info: 26 copies available at Hanson Public Library, Attleboro Public Library, Bridgewater Public Library, Fall River Main, Foxboro - Boyden Library, Holmes Public Library, Lakeville Public Library, Mansfield Public Library, Elizabeth Taber Library, Mattapoisett, New Bedford High School, Richards Memorial Library, Norfolk Public Library, Norton Public Library, Pembroke Public Library, Plainville Public Library, Raynham Library, Blanding Public Library, Taunton Public Library, West Bridgewater Public Library, Westport Free Public Library, Roderick School, and Keith Middle School.
A Look Inside:
View Holdings Change Display
Hanson Public Library Copies Material Location
625.42 MCK 1 Book CHILDREN NONFICTION
Attleboro Public Library Copies Material Location

Dude I am on it, but look where they keep it, sheesh!
Teamdriver

Postby jwhite07 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:57 am

Dude I am on it, but look where they keep it, sheesh!

You mean in children's collections at libraries? It is considered a children's book, probably because the book is heavy on illustrations (very nicely done watercolors, I must say), but it's somewhat light on text.

It was once available in mainstream bookstores - I bought my copy at Borders (RIP). I'm sure it can still be found through Amozon or similar outlets.
jwhite07

Postby 3rdrail » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:49 am

There are quite a few signed editions by the author, who made quite a few signed editions available at one time. I picked mine up at Brentanos, J, also RIP, which had a stack of them.
~Paul Joyce~

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Postby 3rdrail » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:36 pm

Here is my personal rating, 4 to 5 stars, 5 being exceptional, 4 being great. Great job, Joe ! What do you fellow bibliophiles think ? Post your favorites and let's see if there is a hands down winner ! :-)

Boston Transit Commission Annual Reports - Boston Transit Commission *****
Boston Trolleys In Color Volume 1: The North Side - Volkmer
Boston Trolleys in Color Volume 2: The South Side - Volkmer
Boston, Revere Beach & Lynn Railroad, Narrow Gauge RR - Liljestrand; Sweetland
Boston's Blue Line; Through the East Boston Tunnel - Cheney
Boston's Main Line EL: The Formative Years 1879-1908 - Chiasson
Boston's Red Line; Bridging the Charles From Alewife to Braintree - Cheney
BSRA # 1 PCC Cars, Boston Elevated, MTA - Frazier
BSRA # 2 Semi-Convertible Cars, BERy, MTA (Type 1 To 5 Cars) - Frazier
BSRA # 3 Boston's Dallas Cars - Anderson
BSRA # 4 Rapid Transit Cars in Boston - BSRA ****
BSRA # 5 Rapid Transit Lines in Boston - BSRA****
BSRA # 6 PCC Cars of Boston 1937-1967 - Anderson *****
BSRA # 7 The Trackless Trolleys of Boston - Clarke *****
BSRA # 8 Transit Boston 1850-1970 - Clarke
BSRA # 9 Rapid Transit Boston - Clarke
BSRA #10 South Shore; Quincy-Boston - Clarke; Cheney *****
BSRA #11 Trackless Trolleys of the Fitchburg & Lemominster St. Ry. Co. - Clarke
BSRA #12 Trolleys Along the Turnpike, Boston & Worcester St Ry. - Cummings *****
BSRA #13 Newport By Trolley, Bay State Newport Division - O'Hanley
BSRA #14 The Boston Transit Album - Clarke *****
BSRA #15 Rhode Island Transit Album - Molloy
BSRA #16 Narrow Gauge, The Story of The B.R.B. & L. - Stanley *****
BSRA #17 The Boston Rapid Transit Album - Clarke
BSRA #18 The Trackless Trolleys of Rhode Island - Wonson
BSRA #19 Boston's Commuter Rail the First 150 Years - Humphrey; Clark
BSRA #20 Boston's Commuter Rail, Second Section - Humphrey; Clark
BSRA #21 From Boston To the Berkshires (Elec Rys of MA) - Calrson; Harding
BSRA #22 Tremont St. Subway, Century of Public Service - Clarke; Cummings *****
BSRA #23 Streetcar Lines of the Hub The 1940s Heyday of Electric Transit in Boston - Clarke *****
BSRA #24 Boston Transit Equipment 1979-2009 - Prescott
Building of a Transit Line; The MBTA's Haymarket-North Extension - Keville
Change at Park Street Under - Cudahy ****
Mass Northeastern Street Railway Volume 1: Newburyport Division - Cummings
Mass Northeastern Street Railway Volume 2: Merrimac Division Trolleys To Salisbury Beach - Cummings
Mass Northeastern Street Railway Volume 3: Amesbury Division Trolleys To Hampton Beach - Cummings
Mass Northeastern Street Railway Volume 4: Salem Division Trolleys To Canobie Lake Park - Cummings
Mass Northeastern Street Railway Volume 5: Cars and Roster - Cummings
PCC Cars of North America - Cox
PCC Cars of the United States A Book of Plans-Variations of an American Classic - Zen-Ruffinen
Streetcars of Boston Volume 1: Closed Horse and Electric Cars 1897-1900 - Cummings *****
Streetcars of Boston Volume 2: Open Horse and Electric Cars - Cummings *****
Streetcars of Boston Volume 3: Closed and Semi-Convertibles Cars 1903-1908 - Cummings *****
Streetcars of Boston Volume 4: Type 4 Semi-Convertibles and Trailers 1911-1952 - Cummings *****
Streetcars of Boston Volume 5: Articulated and Center Entrance Cars 1912-1953 - Cummings *****
Streetcars of Boston Volume 6: Birneys, Type 5 Semi, Parlor, Private and Mail Cars - Cummings *****
Surface Cars of Boston 1903-1963 - Cummings ****
Transportation Bulletin #08 The Trolley Air Line - A History of the Boston & Worcester Street Railway - 1954 (New England Street Railway) - Cummings *****
Transportation Bulletin #25 Blue Hill Street Railway - 1957 (New England Street Railway) - Cummings
Transportation Bulletin #35 The Manchester Street Railway - 1960 (New England Street Railway) - Cummings
Transportation Bulletin #48 General Description of Rolling Stock, Eastern Mass Street Railway - May 1958 - Cummings
Transportation Bulletin #50 1300 & 1700 Class Semi-Convertible Cars, Bay State Street Railway - July 1958 - Cummings
Transportation Bulletin #51 Bay State St Ry 4100, 4200 & 4300 Class Semi-Convertible Cars - August 1958 - Cummings
Transportation Bulletin #55 Semi Convertible Cars, Eastern Mass St Ry w/ 1/4" Plan #4387 - December 1958 - Cummings
Transportation Bulletin #56 Birney Cars, Eastern Mass St Ry - January-February 1959 - Cummings
Transportation Bulletin #58 Trolley Parlor Cars Of New England - May-June 1959 - Cummings
Transportation Bulletin #59 Brockton & Plymouth Street Railway - July-August-September 1959 - Cummings
Transportation Bulletin #64 Trolley Freight and Express Operations, Bay State Street Railway - August-September 1960 - Cummings
Transportation Bulletin #65 MTA Riverside Line Extension, 1959 - October 1960 - July 1961 - Dana
Transportation Bulletin #67 Haverhill, Gerogetown & Danvers St Ry - August 1962 - February 1963 - Cummings; Cunninngham
Transportation Bulletin #69 To 71 Eastern Mass Street Railway 1963-1965 - Cummings
Transportation Bulletin #79 Berkshire Street Railway 1972 - Cummings
Transportation Bulletin #82 Hyde Park Division, Bay State Street Railway 1975 - Borrup; Smith *****
Trolleys Under the Hub - Cheney; Sammarco
When Boston Rode The EL - Cheney; Sammarco

And there you have it.

JoeD
dieciduej

Private message
~Paul Joyce~

3rdrail

Postby Adams_Umass_Boston » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:17 pm

As a Librarian this warms my heart.
Adams_Umass_Boston

Postby RailBus63 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:07 pm

An update to the "PCC cars of Boston' book would be welcomed - that book only covered the first 30 years of what is now 75 years of PCC operation in Boston (and counting).
RailBus63

Postby MBTA3247 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:12 pm

RailBus63 wrote:An update to the "PCC cars of Boston' book would be welcomed - that book only covered the first 30 years of what is now 75 years of PCC operation in Boston (and counting).

Seconded.

Taking things a bit further, though, has any thought ever been given to reprinting any of these books? Most of them are decades old now, and there's a whole new generation of railfans, most of whom probably haven't had an opportunity to read them. With modern printing technologies, reprints could probably be done relatively cheaply, and even be in color if you relocated the original photos.
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
MBTA3247

Postby jrc520 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:17 pm

I second the reprint - I'd prefer to have my own copies to reference, rather than a library to have to go to. As for reprinting cheap? $5k for the Expresso book machine, and you can reprint anything you have a PDF of - softcover only, but if you have it stop at the binding, you could then have someone sew the hardcover on.
jrc520

Postby MBTA3247 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:43 pm

I was thinking more along the lines of print-on-demand services.
MBTA3247

Next

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)