MBTA looking to sell naming rights!

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

MBTA looking to sell naming rights!

Postby BandM4266 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:48 am

I heard on the news thismorning that T is looking at other ways of raising Revenue. Sounds like Govt Center and other stations could soon find yet another name.

Boston Herald
"The MBTA wants Corporate America to come aboard.

“Our goal is to find as many opportunities that we can to raise revenue to close our budget gap without raising fares,” MBTA General Manager Richard Davey said of plans to sell naming rights to T properties."

http://www.bostonherald.com/business/ge ... 8&srvc=rss
BandM4266

Re: MBTA looking to sell naming rights!

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:22 am

They did this in the 1990's with "State St. / Citizens Bank". It was a giant flop and people hated it. I could see selling naming rights on some things, but station names have one purpose: to mark a location and/or landmark. Stretch it to any purpose beyond that and it's just a source of confusion. Toronto's new mayor is pushing this hard for their system, and the public pushback is harsh already. Bad, bad idea.

Now, ad overload in stations or on trains...yeah, you could do that. Start naming the trolleys and bring back the adwrap. You know...like, Verizon Wireless car 3604. I'm sure they make adhesive that doesn't kill the paint job like the old stuff did. Look at those flatbed trucks that have the giant billboards on them and do nothing but drive past the students all day. Couldn't the B be a giant ad on wheels? Or how about doing video ads on the side panels like every taxi in town does...they make thin and cheap enough LCD's for that. Put video ads up in the stations...you've got the fiber cables for the feed, and the advertisers pay for the screens. Bring back the tunnel ads on the heavy-rail lines and actually update them instead of leaving the Coraline movie premiere promo up for 3 years outside Harvard until it collected so much dust you couldn't see it anymore.

There's a lot of things they can do that don't have to screw up people's directional compass and confuse the hell out of out-of-towners like renaming stations. Honestly...no short-term memory whatsoever from the State/Citizens flop.
F-line to Dudley via Park

Postby diburning » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:44 pm

Well.... If that's the case then lets all pool our money to name it the YANKEES SUCK station :)
diburning

Postby Scott10690 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:26 pm

I think it's a terrible idea. Looks chintzy, won't raise significant cash, and will confuse riders/tourists. Here's my interpretation as to what it may, unfortunately, look like..

Scott10690

Postby BostonUrbEx » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:31 pm

Sell Fenway to the Red Sox so they can just end up naming it Fenway anyways, and pay big $$$ for it, too.

It's the perfect scam! ;)

Or sell MFA to the MFA! And sell BC to BC! Maybe we can even con MassPort into paying to name Airport... you guessed it... Airport!

Then we don't even have to change the signs. Ahhh... the perfect naming rights scheme.
BostonUrbEx

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:29 am

BostonUrbEx wrote:Sell Fenway to the Red Sox so they can just end up naming it Fenway anyways, and pay big $$$ for it, too.

It's the perfect scam! ;)

Or sell MFA to the MFA! And sell BC to BC! Maybe we can even con MassPort into paying to name Airport... you guessed it... Airport!

Then we don't even have to change the signs. Ahhh... the perfect naming rights scheme.

If it designates a landmark, that's fine. Prudential is Prudential Center. The name of a landmark like that isn't gonna change if the tenant goes kaput. But look at the Garden...since its construction it's been the New Garden, Shawmut Center, FleetCenter, T.D. BankNorth Garden, and T.D. Garden. Two of those name changes before it even opened. At the rate major corporations merge you can't even say with certainty that a company's going to live out a 10-year naming rights contract. If the T starts selling naming rights, what are the odds that 2 years in some prominent station is going to have to change names again and require all-new signage to replace the all-new signage? Or, worse, produce all manner of out-of-sync system maps when this happens multiple times. That'd be even worse than "Where in the hell is the Auditorium stop?? What do you mean ICA is on the waterfront???".
F-line to Dudley via Park

Postby diburning » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:38 am

Scott10690 wrote:I think it's a terrible idea. Looks chintzy, won't raise significant cash, and will confuse riders/tourists. Here's my interpretation as to what it may, unfortunately, look like..

Then you'll have the people who don't speak/read English or have tourists that ask the CSAs where the Dunkies or the Best Buy is in the station <insert head banging into brick wall smiley here>
diburning

Postby TomNelligan » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:46 am

This is just one more reminder that there is nothing left in this country that's not for sale. I do not look forward to getting off a train at Depends Adult Diaper Station, or whatever.
TomNelligan

Postby MACTRAXX » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:48 pm

Everyone: If naming rights are used in a CONSTRUCTIVE and non-confusing way revenue can be raised but not at the expense of an absolute name change-like what was done in Philadelphia
when AT&T bought the rights to the SEPTA Broad Street Line Pattison Avenue Station where Philadelphia's Sports Complex is located...

On a visit last month I rode down to that station and I decided to count how many times "Pattison Avenue" was mentioned in that station and I could not find ANY signs...
They even removed signs directing to exits that were on the N or S sides of that street...

Example: "Dunkin' Donuts Station at Forest Hills" would be OK but "Dunkin' Donuts Station" by itself-NO.
I just feel that would be just too confusing by eliminating totally the use of a well-established name...

Opinion from MACTRAXX
Last edited by MACTRAXX on Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EXPRESS TRAIN TO NEW YORK PENN STATION-NO JAMAICA ON THIS TRAIN-PLEASE STAND CLEAR OF THE CLOSING TRAIN DOORS
MACTRAXX

Postby MACTRAXX » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:53 pm

Scott10690 wrote:I think it's a terrible idea. Looks chintzy, won't raise significant cash, and will confuse riders/tourists. Here's my interpretation as to what it may, unfortunately, look like..

Scott: Wouldn't it be a natural for the Prudential Insurance Company to acquire the naming rights for the PRUDENTIAL Station?
I believe they are getting free publicity of sorts from the MBTA anyway...
MACTRAXX
EXPRESS TRAIN TO NEW YORK PENN STATION-NO JAMAICA ON THIS TRAIN-PLEASE STAND CLEAR OF THE CLOSING TRAIN DOORS
MACTRAXX

Postby Disney Guy » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:04 pm

MACTRAXX wrote:Wouldn't it be a natural for the Prudential Insurance Company to acquire the naming rights for the PRUDENTIAL Station?
I believe they are getting free publicity of sorts from the MBTA anyway...

Prudential Insurance does not have to do anything --- unless some other corporation buys the naming rights for that station. The next question is, what would happen if Prudential then buys the naming rights for some other station?
(To the theater stage manager) Quit twiddling the knob and flickering the lights while the audience is entering and being seated. (To the subway motorman) Quit twiddling the knob and dinging the doors while passengers are getting off and others are waiting to board.
Disney Guy

Postby caduceus » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:18 pm

Didn't they sell the "naming rights" for Downtown Crossing to a bank, but they didn't really rename the station - they just got to put up a lot of signs...
First law of public transportation: You can never be early, but you can always be late.
caduceus

Postby AznSumtinSumtin » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:22 pm

caduceus wrote:Didn't they sell the "naming rights" for Downtown Crossing to a bank, but they didn't really rename the station - they just got to put up a lot of signs...

The T sold the naming rights of State St. to Citizens Bank about 10 years ago. AFAIK, the station was called State/Citizens Bank, but it didn't last long.
AznSumtinSumtin

Postby Scott10690 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:03 pm

@MACTRAXX I was more-so being facetious by creating that sign. Prudential was the first sign I got a head on picture of. Didn't think too much about the logos used aside from how ridiculous they look.
Scott10690

Postby jwhite07 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:58 pm

How about this? For a modest yet revenue-meaningful fee, individuals, communities, organizations etc (sure, why not businesses too) can name an MBTA vehicle, kinda like Metro-North does with its coaches. Make some guidelines, such as you can name a vehicle after a prominent historical figure, occurrence, or landmark, but you CANNOT name a vehicle after a corporation. The name chosen goes in nice big letters somewhere on the exterior sides of the vehicle in a place it will not be obscured by other advertising. As a reward or payback for the fee paid for naming the vehicle, the person or entity who names the vehicle is identified on a nice simple engraved brass plate mounted in a conspicuous location within the passenger compartment of the vehicle, or on the side of a locomotive.

How about riding in a Blue Line car proudly emblazoned PAUL REVERE on the sides and carrying a plate proclaiming it was named by the South Tweedledee Community Bank (which paid, say $15,000 for the honor)? Or its mate, FENWAY, brought to you by the Lansdowne Street Home Run Catchers Club?

There are close to two thousand rail vehicles and buses in the MBTA fleet... that's potentially better than $25 million at $15k a pop.

I want royalties if this happens, by the way...
jwhite07

Next

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)