Sounding Horn @ West Medford / Rt 60

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Sounding Horn @ West Medford / Rt 60

Postby Arlington » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:24 pm

Have the rules on sounding the horn at a highway crossing changed? Or did a quiet zone expire at the intersection of the Lowell Line and Mass Rt 60? Virtually every train within earshot has been sounding its horn, including one just now at 11:20pm, where in the past horns were rare, and usually easily tied to work crews being present.

It can't be for work crews at this hour, can it? I live within earshot of the West Medford commuter rail stop, and now it is from early morning to late at night, virtually every train. Is there some wider change in effect, or are there hidden special circumstances (I can't see any crews)?
"Trying to solve congestion by making roadways wider is like trying to solve obesity by buying bigger pants."--Charles Marohn
Arlington

Re: Sounding Horn @ West Medford / Rt 60

Postby sery2831 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:46 pm

The FRA whistle ban waiver has expired for Canal St. and High St. Trains are to blow for the crossings in both directions. I am going to guess someone in the City failed to submit some paperwork, OR modifications to the crossings were not done. Almost all crossings now that we do not blow at have dividers to prevent cars from going around the gates.

BTW this started last Friday afternoon about 4pm.
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

Postby Teamdriver » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:08 am

With regard to the '' no horn '' crossings, could there be a '' light horn '' alternative? I live with in ear shot of 2 rail crossings, sometimes even 3. The existing horn is okay with me, you just get used to it. But a '' no horn '' crossing doesn't make sense to me,as today people's attention is elsewhere, with all the cell phoning and texting going on. People used to live right proximate to the el trains at one time,whats a little toot toot. Not trying to ruffle anyone's feathers, but an incident with a train is kinda irreversible!
Teamdriver

Postby aquina » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:08 am

see

http://medford.patch.com/articles/train ... an-revoked

essentially the medford city government dropped the ball.

Facebook group to try and bring pressure to resolve the issue:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Reinstate ... 6093775244
aquina

Postby CSX Conductor » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:16 am

Arlington wrote:It can't be for work crews at this hour, can it?
NORAC Rules changed the horn rules slightly last year or the year before. Grade crossings are still Rule 19 B (2 longs, a short, and a long). Approaching & Passing roadway workers is Rule 19 D which is a long and a short followed by a succession of two shorts until the head-end has passed all men/equipment.
TeamDriver wrote:With regard to the '' no horn '' crossings, could there be a '' light horn '' alternative?
The problem with going light or easy on the horn is that sometimes it won't register on the tapes (event recorder).
CSX Conductor

Postby mbta1051dan » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:26 am

Or like the Australians do at rail crossings, one "medium" (approximately 1-2 seconds) at each crossing..just a thought if the FRA or NORAC wants to consider this ;)
MBTA 1051
mbta1051dan

Postby sery2831 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:01 pm

TeamDriver wrote:With regard to the '' no horn '' crossings, could there be a '' light horn '' alternative?
CSX Conductor wrote:The problem with going light or easy on the horn is that sometimes it won't register on the tapes (event recorder).

That and some locomotives only have a button, and it is one volume. Our 1100 series have this feature.
sery2831

Postby octr202 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:11 pm

I can't locate it now, but I believe there are some test applications of crossing-based horns at some locations in the US. I believe Europe and elsewhere often uses this approach, where the horn or other audible alert is part of the crossing protection, which allows the sound to be focused on the approaching vehicles and not broadcast all around the area as a locomotive horn will. This might prove to be another tool, along with median dividers (in use on many MBCR crossings already) and four quadrant gates in the future.

I wonder how many other MBCR served towns are in the same boat as West Medford? I've noticed some towns even in the small area I travel have been more aggressive about implementing the new quiet zone features than others.
Wondering if I'll see the Haverhill double-tracking finished before I retire...
Photo: Melbourne W7 No. 1019 on Route 78, Bridge & Church Streets, Richmond, Victoria. 10/21/2010
octr202

Location: In the land of the once and future 73 trackless trolley.

Postby sery2831 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:27 pm

On the North Side this is the only Quiet Zone that has not been addressed. Can't speak for the South Side, but our Bulletin Orders are combined and there are no Quiet Zone changes for the South Side.
sery2831

Postby Rockingham Racer » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:01 pm

octr202 wrote:I can't locate it now, but I believe there are some test applications of crossing-based horns at some locations in the US. I believe Europe and elsewhere often uses this approach, where the horn or other audible alert is part of the crossing protection, which allows the sound to be focused on the approaching vehicles and not broadcast all around the area as a locomotive horn will. This might prove to be another tool, along with median dividers (in use on many MBCR crossings already) and four quadrant gates in the future.

I wonder how many other MBCR served towns are in the same boat as West Medford? I've noticed some towns even in the small area I travel have been more aggressive about implementing the new quiet zone features than others.

New Jersey Transit has some crossings with crossing-based horns.
Rockingham Racer

Postby obienick » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:09 pm

I don't think either of the Rt 62 crossings in Wilmington have ever been dealt with (quad gates and/or barrier) unless it has been in the past year.
obienick

Postby jamesinclair » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:35 am

Teamdriver wrote:With regard to the '' no horn '' crossings, could there be a '' light horn '' alternative? I live with in ear shot of 2 rail crossings, sometimes even 3. The existing horn is okay with me, you just get used to it. But a '' no horn '' crossing doesn't make sense to me,as today people's attention is elsewhere, with all the cell phoning and texting going on. People used to live right proximate to the el trains at one time,whats a little toot toot. Not trying to ruffle anyone's feathers, but an incident with a train is kinda irreversible!

The bell?

Theres nothing that says "train" more than the clanking of a bell, and it is very audible to nearby pedestrians and such, but not annoying to residents.

Obviously the green line does this, with the bell for all crossings, and the oil-tanker-grade horn for "get out of my way" incidents.
jamesinclair

Postby Arlington » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:43 pm

jamesinclair wrote:Theres nothing that says "train" more than the clanking of a bell, and it is very audible to nearby pedestrians and such, but not annoying to residents.

The problem isn't so much the "pedestrians" component of "nearby pedestrians and such", its the driver with the windows rolled up, the A/C on, and the music cranking or kids screaming.

That driver is in grave danger of believing that because a southbound train just went by that the gates should spring up immediately, and has never considered whether trains might also go northbound on the other track.
"Trying to solve congestion by making roadways wider is like trying to solve obesity by buying bigger pants."--Charles Marohn
Arlington

Postby sery2831 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:55 am

Looks like the T and City have come to a temporary agreement. Until the crossing modifications are done, trains will pass over both crossings at 15 mph. They have also added a crossing tender to Canal St, and both crossings will be manned 24/7.
sery2831

Postby obienick » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:45 am

Hope the city is paying for the tender as well as the ware and tear on the trains for breaking down to 15 mph every time!

Oh that's right, no they aren't as it's un-PC to sound a train horn.
obienick

Next

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)