Gov't Center Closure 2014 Discussion

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: Gov't Center Closure 2014 Discussion

Postby The EGE » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:20 pm

Diverging Route wrote:
The EGE wrote:That's rather odd. Southbound trains still have to use Brattle Loop, and unless they want to only use half of Park Street they'll have to run trains through to GC loop.

There's a crossover between North Station and Haymarket. I suspect they'll change ends at Haymarket, so no need to use the Brattle Loop.

As far as the maps I have available show, there is not a crossover between them (only a short siding off the northbound track). Has this changed?
The EGE

Postby peconicstation » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:02 pm

The EGE wrote:That's rather odd. Southbound trains still have to use Brattle Loop, and unless they want to only use half of Park Street they'll have to run trains through to GC loop.

In tandem with this, Blue Line service disruptions continue on weekends with that line running in 2 segments.
A shuttle runs back and fourth between State Street and Maverick on the outbound side and Maverick to Wonderland on the inbound side.

Ken
peconicstation

Postby MBTA3247 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:22 pm

The EGE wrote:
Diverging Route wrote:

There's a crossover between North Station and Haymarket. I suspect they'll change ends at Haymarket, so no need to use the Brattle Loop.

As far as the maps I have available show, there is not a crossover between them (only a short siding off the northbound track). Has this changed?

The crossover has been there since at least 2004.
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
MBTA3247

Postby octr202 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:06 am

Interesting that the Blue Book schematic shows the new North Station yard under the Garden, but not the crossover between Haymarket and North Station.
Wondering if I'll see the Haverhill double-tracking finished before I retire...
Photo: Melbourne W7 No. 1019 on Route 78, Bridge & Church Streets, Richmond, Victoria. 10/21/2010
octr202

Location: In the land of the once and future 73 trackless trolley.

Postby Adams_Umass_Boston » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:12 pm

Adams_Umass_Boston

Postby typesix » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:14 am

typesix

Postby Rbts Stn » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:34 pm

Reopening on March 26

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massac ... ews_latest

Since closing for renovations in March 2014, the MBTA had said the project was scheduled for completion sometime in the spring of 2016. The project has remained on schedule throughout construction, but a specific opening date had not yet been announced.

A rare "on time" performance!
Rbts Stn

Postby acela 2036 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:20 pm

Well let's see if they actually really hold down on that date, looking forward to it though!
acela 2036

Postby djimpact1 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:56 pm

acela 2036 wrote:Well let's see if they actually really hold down on that date, looking forward to it though!

I wish for once, I could read a reply that started off with a somewhat optimistic statement/tone.

And what if they don't hold down on that date...then what? A scoop of verbal dung will be flung at them, as is done daily by so many?

I wish the 2nd half of your statement was the sole part of it. It is truly a great thing to look forward to. Sorry to sound analytical or like I'm attempting a personal attack; it just screams why we don't deserve nice things related to the T...skepticism reigns supreme when the T does ANYTHING, good or not.
A non-foaming rail enthusiast.

Member of a yet-to-be-determined transit social group
Do what you do, do it often, do it well....
djimpact1

Postby Rbts Stn » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:39 pm

Gee, and I thought my comment was a positive one!
Rbts Stn

Postby Adams_Umass_Boston » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:44 pm

I will miss using Bowdoin. It was kinda nice.

As I ride by everyday, GC looks great. I cant wait to use it.
Adams_Umass_Boston

Postby The EGE » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:54 pm

The planned Cambridge Street headhouse was built as exit-only rather than a full headhouse. That would have reduced the walking distance to Bowdoin by over one-third and provided equally good access to the buildings along Sudbury and Somerset. Without the second headhouse, it appears Bowdoin will remain open, likely at its previous limited hours. It has an ADA exemption anyway, so the only real cost to the T is one CSA and the electric bill.
The EGE

Postby Arlington » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:07 pm

The EGE wrote:The planned Cambridge Street headhouse was built as exit-only rather than a full headhouse. That would have reduced the walking distance to Bowdoin by over one-third and provided equally good access to the buildings along Sudbury and Somerset. Without the second headhouse, it appears Bowdoin will remain open, likely at its previous limited hours. It has an ADA exemption anyway, so the only real cost to the T is one CSA and the electric bill.

Wait, Gov Center was going to get a second headhouse? There's no "was built", right? Just planned-but-cancelled?
"Trying to solve congestion by making roadways wider is like trying to solve obesity by buying bigger pants."--Charles Marohn
Arlington

Postby The EGE » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:40 pm

The structure is being built, but as an emergency exit only.

The EGE

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)