4-car Green Line trains?

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: 4-car Green Line trains?

Postby Type7trolley » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:20 pm

4-car trains? Mere child's play...
Attachments
12-15_H_img0174A.jpg
12-15_H_img0174A.jpg (125 KiB) Viewed 947 times
Type7trolley

Postby MBTA3247 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:59 pm

LOL!

That train is a mixture of Tremont, All-Electric and possibly Wartime class PCCs, none of which could trainline with the others. I suspect it's several 2-3 car trains backed up due to a problem at Heath St preventing that first car/train from entering the loop. That, or it's a bulk transfer to Arborway being run at a very unusual time and in an even more unusual fashion. Interesting photo though, regardless!
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
MBTA3247

Postby 3rdrail » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:06 am

I'm going with your bulk wholesale transfer suggestion. That is a 1970's photograph and the usual train was two cars. Those cars are too close to have bunched plus we know that definitely the air/electric cars to the rear of the all-electrics couldn't have trained- but they're in a group of three so they probably aren't one train. I think that some of these cars are in a dead tow, having had their brakes released. It actually may be a very sad photo as we may be viewing the PCC version of the Bataan Death March to the Arborway.
~Paul Joyce~
[i]Moderator: Toy Trains, Model Railroading, Outdoor and Live Steam

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Postby Patrick Boylan » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:07 am

I think it helps prove my point. Those cars couldn't fit into Boylston station at the same time whether they were in one train or separate.
Patrick Boylan

Location: Here is a stupid picture, pay attention to me. Burlington Township, NJ 08016

Postby bostontrainguy » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:03 am

No that looks like a service problem. If it was a deadhead move of cars it would not say "Heath Street" on the front. It would be "Out of Service" or "No Passengers".
bostontrainguy

Postby BostonUrbEx » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:13 am

Looks to me like a train of three cars, a train of two cars, another train of three cars, yet another of three cars, a significant gap, and then a train of two cars.
BostonUrbEx

Postby typesix » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:43 am

All of the cars in the picture except for the All Electrics, can MU with each other. No Tremonts are visible, they have a different window style than what I can see in the view. There can also be single cars in the mix, Heath St cars sometimes ran as singles.
typesix

Postby MBTA3247 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:17 pm

Oops, my mistake. I saw the lack of a full-length roof monitor and assumed those cars were Tremont class, forgetting that some of the Wartime cars never got the full monitors.
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
MBTA3247

Postby 3rdrail » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:03 pm

The Rule is 100 feet minimum headway to a standing car unless necessary due to traffic congestion. I don't think that this would be construed as "necessary", so if this is a photo of the infamous Arborway Line "bunching", it appears as if it's documentation of at least six violations. Still think that it's a group move to the Arborway. I think that the set at the bottom of the hill is the revenue set. He's got sufficient headway. The rest in front of him are a train. What I would guess has happened here is that thaey are having a hard time making it up the South Huntington Ave. hill and possibly due to reduced sanding ability on dead cars, have gotten hung up.
~Paul Joyce~

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Postby obienick » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:26 am

3rdrail wrote:The Rule is 100 feet minimum headway to a standing car unless necessary due to traffic congestion. I don't think that this would be construed as "necessary", so if this is a photo of the infamous Arborway Line "bunching", it appears as if it's documentation of at least six violations. Still think that it's a group move to the Arborway. I think that the set at the bottom of the hill is the revenue set. He's got sufficient headway. The rest in front of him are a train. What I would guess has happened here is that thaey are having a hard time making it up the South Huntington Ave. hill and possibly due to reduced sanding ability on dead cars, have gotten hung up.

I wouldn't be so quick to count up violations. Look at the shear number of cars on whatever road that is (Centre?) ... if that
s not "traffic congestion" i do not know what is.
obienick

Postby 3rdrail » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:32 pm

It's South Huntington and I interpret that clause as meaning "unecessary" due to traffic congestion causing either a situation where cars are visually obstructed momentarily and creep up on one another or traffic signals cause a car ahead to stop when it's follower has obstructed vision ahead. South Huntington Ave. is a relatively smooth running street, particularly in that direction (south, outbound). There would be a free flowing lane of traffic to the right of the streetcars if their doors were closed, which in fact is being used. I personally have never seen this lane bogged down. Here's another morsel to chew on; I noticed that there is a line of vehicles which are passing the first car in this lane...but, they are not continuing down South Huntington. They apparently are being directed to turn left onto Heath St. I know this because all of the vehicles are headed in this direction. Normally, about one out of every ten cars would turn left onto Heath here. Why ?
~Paul Joyce~

3rdrail

Postby Adams_Umass_Boston » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:27 pm

On the very far left there is some type of emergency/work/maintenance vehicle. You can see part of a truck and a light.
Adams_Umass_Boston

Postby Rbts Stn » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:54 am

Eek. Looks like my mom (and the car she drove in the early 70's) right up front.
Rbts Stn

Postby bostontrainguy » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:56 pm

Rbts Stn wrote:Eek. Looks like my mom (and the car she drove in the early 70's) right up front.

Ford Pinto I think.
bostontrainguy

Postby Rbts Stn » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:17 pm

bostontrainguy wrote:
Rbts Stn wrote:Eek. Looks like my mom (and the car she drove in the early 70's) right up front.

Ford Pinto I think.

We had a Chevelle. Looked a bit like that. Light green.
Rbts Stn

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)