4-car Green Line trains?

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: 4-car Green Line trains?

Postby jmac42887 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:19 pm

The Rumors are true!

"He told them about an experiment with four-car trains on the Green Line, starting this weekend, to try to accommodate the wall-to-wall crowds before and after Red Sox games, though it might test the power lines.

“Let’s be clear: If it fails, it’s my fault,’’ said Davey, who was joined by Green Line chief Deb Gies and other managers. “If it’s a success, it’s Deb’s.’’"

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massac ... in_center/
jmac42887

Postby 3rdrail » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:02 pm

In other words, they've already tried it with sandbags and/or electrician's formulas and it worked.
~Paul Joyce~
[i]Moderator: Toy Trains, Model Railroading, Outdoor and Live Steam

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:44 am

The power system should be robust enough. They're not really going to need a substation upgrade until they start doing this on multiple lines and the northside extensions open. Then I would think the D's going to get a booster shot when they do the end-of-useful-life reconstruction project on the Highland Branch cabling. Old cabling is a bigger constraint than the source of the juice; it's why the Red and Orange Lines are so fragile through the heart of downtown.
F-line to Dudley via Park

Postby 3rdrail » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:56 pm

I'm not comfortable with giving it the "green light" (pun intended) yet. I'm not sure, but I believe that there are areas where a block intrusion has to be manually re-set before any followers can proceed through.
~Paul Joyce~
[i]Moderator: Toy Trains, Model Railroading, Outdoor and Live Steam

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Postby Type7trolley » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:19 pm

Well it happened. Looks like the Green Line didn't blow up after all, though there was a small inter-dimensional wormhole created at Copley. Now imagine one of those beasts flying down the Riverside branch. (Credit for the video goes to 2012alexg)
Type7trolley

Postby MBTA3247 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:04 am

3rdrail wrote:I'm not comfortable with giving it the "green light" (pun intended) yet. I'm not sure, but I believe that there are areas where a block intrusion has to be manually re-set before any followers can proceed through.

I don't see why the signal system would care about a 4-car train straddling two blocks. Even a single car straddles two blocks every time it passes a signal, and both blocks report as occupied until the rear of the train passes the signal. And you'll often have two trains occupying consecutive blocks.
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
MBTA3247

Postby CircusFreakGRITZ » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:47 pm

Hey, has anyone heard any more about the 4-car trains? I've never seen one, and it seems that 3-car trains slow down service during rush hour, at least from my anecdotal observations. Should we consider 4-car trains dead, at least until the fleet is expanded with the arrival of the type 9's?
CircusFreakGRITZ

Postby Steve Wagner » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:01 pm

I seriously doubt that more than three cars could unload at the same time at Boylston station, for example. That wouldn't be an issue for a four-car train running from Kenmore to Park without opening its doors at stations between them.
Steve Wagner

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:10 pm

Steve Wagner wrote:I seriously doubt that more than three cars could unload at the same time at Boylston station, for example. That wouldn't be an issue for a four-car train running from Kenmore to Park without opening its doors at stations between them.

Boylston's plenty long enough. All of them are designed for 4 cars in the event a 2-car is disabled and has to be pushed by a 2-car into the station. I'm pretty sure all surface stops can handle that too with possible exception of Heath loop. Even the non-ADA, shelterless strips of asphalt on the outer B and C...the doors will line up even if the rearmost car sticks past the platform edge.
F-line to Dudley via Park

Postby SM89 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:12 pm

I'm pretty sure Boylston struggles with the 3-car trains as it is.
SM89

Postby BandM4266 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:15 pm

Steve Wagner wrote:I seriously doubt that more than three cars could unload at the same time at Boylston station, for example. That wouldn't be an issue for a four-car train running from Kenmore to Park without opening its doors at stations between them.

As far as I understand the four car train only ran the one time and was never run again.
BandM4266

Postby The EGE » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:35 pm

A lot of the B and C stops are too short to handle 4 cars. Blandford Street, BU East, Chiswick, and Chestnut Hill Avenue, off the top of my head, have 210-foot (3 car) platforms with absolutely no room for expansion. Same with BC until they move it to east of Lake Street.

The D branch is a good candidate for any 4-car train out on the branches. All the platforms are long enough, and there's no pesky grade crossings.
"Give me an unobstructed right-of-way and I'll show them how to move the earth!"
The EGE

Postby Scott10690 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:44 pm

The "4-car Green Monster" only ran once. It ran express from Kenmore to Park Street after a Red Sox game. It most-likely will never run again.

Boylston eastbound can not handle a 4-car train. The rest of the stations can.
Scott10690

Postby bostontrainguy » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:31 pm

Boylston won't handle four-car trains in either direction. Kenmore outbound to Riverside wouldn't have a problem with platform length and a four-car train can fit in the turnaround above, but too many three-car trains out in Newton trips the breakers now! I don't expect to see many more of these in operation. Not having the ability to unload at Boylston in an emergency should kill this idea pronto.
bostontrainguy

Postby Patrick Boylan » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:13 am

If Boylston's too short for 4 cars how does it matter how many trains they're in?
I see little difference between a 4 car train that can't emergency unload all its cars at Boylston vs the 2 2 car trains. Whether emergency or not that 4 car train's end has the same problem as the following 2 car train's end.
The only difference I see is if they try to run the 4 car train with less than 2 operators. Otherwise they should have enough workers to split the train in an emergency, but again just having the 4 cars in 2 different trains doesn't improve fitting all 4 cars at a platform.
Patrick Boylan

Location: Here is a stupid picture, pay attention to me. Burlington Township, NJ 08016

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)