4-car Green Line trains?

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

4-car Green Line trains?

Postby MBTA3247 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:00 am

It seems there's a rumor going around about running 4-car trains on the Green Line. Anyone know more about this?
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
MBTA3247

Re: 4-car Green Line trains?

Postby diburning » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:32 am

I've heard it too, but I was told that it would be run at the end of sox games, express from Fenway to Park st.

However, I personally don't believe it (maybe the rumor started on April Fools Day and someone didn't get the joke?) because I don't see why they would run a 4-car train as opposed to two 2-car trains; which is the norm.
diburning

Postby sery2831 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:34 am

I think it was said a while back 4 car trains were being looked at to operated on the Riverside Line. I think it was more of an idea to be explored more than something that was going to actually happen soon.
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

Postby jrc520 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:26 am

What they said - also, I think there are still a few places where 4 cars would either not fit, or be a VERY tight squeeze(I just got home from an overnight, I'll pull my maps out later)
jrc520

Postby BostonUrbEx » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:10 am

4-car express trains for Kenmore would be *amazing*. If they could set it up so that two are holding on the platform and two more are waiting for each platform, that would really swallow some of the crowd! Express them to Park, then hit Government Center, North Station, break them into 2's at North Station, send the front train to regular service for Lechmere, short turn the 2nd pair for regular westbound service.

If we want to promote taking the T to events, here's perhaps the one which needs the largest improvement in efficiency and image.
BostonUrbEx

Postby BandM4266 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:38 am

The way that I heared it was that they want to send a 4 car train at the break of a game from Kenmore Express to Park St, No other stops.
Would there be any problems with Braking due to the size of the train?
BandM4266

Postby sery2831 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:47 am

Express from Kenmore to Park St wouldn't work. It would just get caught in traffic from the other trains. As far as braking, it probably would stop great even fully loaded. You will have a lot of braking power. It is a single fully loaded car that would have braking issues. But lets not get off topic...
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

Postby jamesinclair » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:54 pm

Interesting idea, but I dont see the point.

Just send out 3-car trains at closer intervals.
jamesinclair

Postby mitch3910 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:07 pm

jamesinclair wrote:Interesting idea, but I dont see the point.

Just send out 3-car trains at closer intervals.

Can the signal system handle that?
IS2 "Mitch" | Photo Gallery: http://ihavea.name

Any and all above statements are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Government, the Department of Defense, Department of the Navy, or it's affiliates and counterparts.
mitch3910

Postby diburning » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:45 pm

The signal system can handle 3 car trains already, so I don't see why it would have a problem unless 3 cars would straddle 2 "blocks" at the same time?
diburning

Postby Philip Wirth » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:57 pm

I've seen a non-revenue 4-car train iat Copley (it went out the C Branch) during normal service hours, so presumably the signalling system can deal with it. And even if the train spanned two blocks, the system wouldn't know or care that it was one long train and not two shorter trains.
Philip Wirth

Postby 3rdrail » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:21 pm

I'm not sure if it would read as a block intrusion or not, up at Operations, however.
~Paul Joyce~
[i]Moderator: Toy Trains, Model Railroading, Outdoor and Live Steam

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:26 am

I don't think there are any blocks short enough to prevent that, unless it's spanning a switch.

Not sure about every platform on the street branches (certainly E street-running can't handle that), but I'm pretty sure everything in the subway and on the D is plenty long for 4-car. All the platforms are designed to offload 2 consists when one has to push a dead train into the station to offload. I think only constraint is that you wouldn't have ability to offload 2 cars simultaneously on 1 platform in the subway most places. But they stopped doing that even at Park St. inbound where that was regular practice before. Not sure about Park outbound where that's a requirement for loading the 4 lines on separate platform berths. They can handle triplets OK, but I don't know if that starts getting difficult with quads unless all C's and E's are capped at 2-car only.
F-line to Dudley via Park

Postby CRail » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:47 pm

Let's not forget that even though it's not common practice, trains can be/are split and made up while in service. I suggested this for the Heath St. loop capacity, and it would also solve problems at Park St.

As far as the signal system goes, I don't think it's smart enough to care how long a train is. I can't say I know for certain but I would think a train straddling 3 blocks would just mean 2 red signals simultaneously. Signal conditions (on that line) are not relayed to the OCC.
Moderator: Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority
Avatar:3679A (since wrecked)/3623B (now in service as 3636B).
CRail

Postby danib62 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:26 pm

I agree with Corey. I don't see why it would matter if a train was so long that it occupied two blocks. There are no trip arms or auto-breaking mechanisms that would prevent this train from moving. As long as the train behind it gets a red who cares if the system is fooled into thinking that the long train is somehow in violation.
"We are running with normal train service on the Red Line. We apologize for the inconvenience."
danib62

Next

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)