Subway Delay Reports and Discussion (2011-2017)

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: Subway Delay Reports and Discussion

Postby StefanW » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:38 am

mbta.com wrote:Green Line is experiencing significant delays on all lines due to signal problem in the downtown area. Please utilize Orange Line service between North Station and Back Bay. 6/8/2011 10:35 AM

Inbound Green C & D Line service is terminating at Kenmore due to significant signal problem in the downtown area. Please transfer at Kenmore for inbound service. 6/8/2011 10:34 AM

There's going to be some very confused tourists this morning - either that or overnight a new branch of the Orange Line was built out along the Mass Pike...

When I came through Park St. about 20 min. ago there was an automated announcement running which ended with "Please take the Orange Line between North Station and Kenmore." :-D
The Blue Line is good for Lynn, and Lynn is good for the Blue Line.

My live MBTA real-time mapping apps:
https://sites.harvard.edu/~wuensch/T/subway-map.html
https://sites.harvard.edu/~wuensch/T/commuter-rail-map.html
StefanW

Postby WatertownCarBarn » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:43 pm

Was in the E trolley that disabled today between Symphony and Prudential inbound at 3:25PM. Caused a bit of a delay since they didn't get us moving until 3:52PM. It wasn't really clear to me which was the problem, the front 8 I was in or the rear 7. The drivers seemed to be blaming each other. They had to release the brakes on the 7.

At any rate, they couldn't authorize a push/pull until an inspector walked down the tracks from Copley. Really?
Is this the process for every Green line breakdown? I would think they wold give the drivers a little more authority after clearing it with dispatch.
WatertownCarBarn

Postby octr202 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:36 am

Major Blue Line mess Thursday morning:

Major Service Impact
Blue Line is being diverted due to wire problem at Wood Island. An alternative bus shuttle is running between Maverick and Suffolk Downs. Customers can use the Silver Line for service to Airport. Please expect significant delays in Blue Line service. Seek alternate transportation where available to avoid delays. 6/9/2011 7:03 AM
Wondering if I'll see the Haverhill double-tracking finished before I retire...
Photo: Melbourne W7 No. 1019 on Route 78, Bridge & Church Streets, Richmond, Victoria. 10/21/2010
octr202

Location: In the land of the once and future 73 trackless trolley.

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:32 pm

octr202 wrote:Major Blue Line mess Thursday morning:

Major Service Impact
Blue Line is being diverted due to wire problem at Wood Island. An alternative bus shuttle is running between Maverick and Suffolk Downs. Customers can use the Silver Line for service to Airport. Please expect significant delays in Blue Line service. Seek alternate transportation where available to avoid delays. 6/9/2011 7:03 AM

Gonna guess that was during the sunrise T-storms. Some pretty big gusts out ahead of that squall line, even though wasn't much of a thunder/lightning/rain event.
F-line to Dudley via Park

Postby BostonUrbEx » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:18 pm

I received multiple alerts today that the Orange Line was running on time despite only one disruption early in the day... Apparently they only just now found out it would require fewer alerts to inform us when things are okay, rather than sending them when something is wrong.
BostonUrbEx

Postby BostonUrbEx » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:23 pm

DIVERSION OF SERVICE: Beginning Friday, June 10, 2011 at approximately 9:30am and continuing until 3:00pm and on Saturday, June 11, 2011 from the beginning of service until approximately 3:00pm a diversion of service will be implemented on the Blue Line between Orient Heights and Wonderland Station. Suffolk Downs, Beachmont, Revere Beach and Wonderland stations will be closed. Substitute bus service will replace regular train service between Orient Heights and Wonderland during these times. 6/7/2011 11:23 AM

Absolutely no mention of why they are removing service in the middle of a weekday.
BostonUrbEx

Postby Diverging Route » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:56 pm

4:15pm today I entered Government Center to catch the Green Line to Park, for a change to the Red Line. Approaching the platform, I saw a GL trolley with its doors closed. Just ahead of it entering the tunnel was another trolley. They were backed up all the way from Park Street, with nothing moving!

I decided to go back out and walk to Park - and I checked the T-Alerts to see that a D-Line trolley was disabled at Park Street causing "15-20 minute delays." I'm glad I walked - when I got to Park Street, nothing was moving on the westbound.
Diverging Route

Postby Adams_Umass_Boston » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:58 pm

BostonUrbEx wrote:DIVERSION OF SERVICE: Beginning Friday, June 10, 2011 at approximately 9:30am and continuing until 3:00pm and on Saturday, June 11, 2011 from the beginning of service until approximately 3:00pm a diversion of service will be implemented on the Blue Line between Orient Heights and Wonderland Station. Suffolk Downs, Beachmont, Revere Beach and Wonderland stations will be closed. Substitute bus service will replace regular train service between Orient Heights and Wonderland during these times. 6/7/2011 11:23 AM

Absolutely no mention of why they are removing service in the middle of a weekday.

I was away on vacation. If I may guess? There was an alert earlier in the week. Maybe a day before this, where the wire fell down and they were busing from Wonderland to Orient Heights. Perhaps it was for more robust maintenance on that wire?
Adams_Umass_Boston

Postby sery2831 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:17 pm

The division had nothing to do with maintenance or construction. The APTA people had use of the line. http://www.apta.com/mc/railrodeo/Pages/default.aspx
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

Postby AznSumtinSumtin » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:02 pm

They seriously disrupted weekday service and diverted buses to run the shuttle for that? That's just fantastic. I hope they enjoyed themselves. We commuters really don't want to ruin their fun or anything.
AznSumtinSumtin

Postby Adams_Umass_Boston » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:08 pm

I cant agree more. This is outrageous. This story need to be forwarded on to a few sources.
Last edited by Adams_Umass_Boston on Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adams_Umass_Boston

Postby BigUglyCat » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:07 pm

AznSumtinSumtin wrote:... I hope they enjoyed themselves. We commuters really don't want to ruin their fun or anything.

What is this, an ego trip for the MBTA? I'd like to ask the boss man how this fits into their mission.
BigUglyCat

Postby diburning » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:46 pm

AznSumtinSumtin wrote:They seriously disrupted weekday service and diverted buses to run the shuttle for that? That's just fantastic. I hope they enjoyed themselves. We commuters really don't want to ruin their fun or anything.

I was just about to say that...

Couldn't they have used a spare track (like the one on the orange line), or the yard leads between cabot and JFK/UMass?
diburning

Postby BostonUrbEx » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:21 pm

Orange Line experiencing 15 min delays due to track problem at Malden Center. 6/16/2011 4:15 PM

My guess: Medford St Bridge. :P We'll see what this leads to, can't be good... And we're approaching 5PM.

--------------

EDIT: Here we go!

Orange Line experiencing 20-25 min outbound delays due to track problem at Malden Center. Outbound train service will terminate at Wellington and a shuttle train will make stops between Wellington and Oak Grove. Customers can consider Haverhill/Reading commuter rail service from North Station to Malden Center and Oak Grove. 6/16/2011 4:15 PM

I wish I could be inconvenienced by CR to Oak Grove. :P How do they collect fare for that? (Do they?)
BostonUrbEx

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:01 pm

BostonUrbEx wrote:Orange Line experiencing 15 min delays due to track problem at Malden Center. 6/16/2011 4:15 PM

My guess: Medford St Bridge. :P We'll see what this leads to, can't be good... And we're approaching 5PM.

--------------

EDIT: Here we go!

Orange Line experiencing 20-25 min outbound delays due to track problem at Malden Center. Outbound train service will terminate at Wellington and a shuttle train will make stops between Wellington and Oak Grove. Customers can consider Haverhill/Reading commuter rail service from North Station to Malden Center and Oak Grove. 6/16/2011 4:15 PM

I wish I could be inconvenienced by CR to Oak Grove. :P How do they collect fare for that? (Do they?)

Heat kinks at Wellington tunnel:

http://twitpic.com/5chz9w
F-line to Dudley via Park

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)