Subway Delay Reports and Discussion (2011-2017)

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: Subway Delay Reports and Discussion

Postby WickedPissah » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:26 am

Anyone know what's up with the Red Line delays right now? Red Line trains terminating at Harvard. Bustitution north. I can see a lot of police cars and fire engines at Porter Square.
Brian Beaucher. Co-Owner WardMaps LLC, MBTAgifts and Boston Coasters
WickedPissah

Postby BostonUrbEx » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:44 am

Red Line IB Due to a disabled train approaching Harvard. All outbound service will terminate at Harvard. Shuttle buses will operate between Alewife and Harvard station. 7/12/2011 10:03 AM

Perhaps a derailment just shy of Harvard inbound?
BostonUrbEx

Postby WickedPissah » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:53 am

Apparently two disabled red line trains in Porter. They are going to evacuate the trains soon.

http://www.boston.com/Boston/metrodesk/ ... index.html
Brian Beaucher. Co-Owner WardMaps LLC, MBTAgifts and Boston Coasters
WickedPissah

Postby octr202 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:12 pm

T reported the Red Line back on schedule as of 1:43 PM.
Wondering if I'll see the Haverhill double-tracking finished before I retire...
Photo: Melbourne W7 No. 1019 on Route 78, Bridge & Church Streets, Richmond, Victoria. 10/21/2010
octr202

Location: In the land of the once and future 73 trackless trolley.

Postby MBTA1016 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:55 pm

WickedPissah wrote:Apparently two disabled red line trains in Porter. They are going to evacuate the trains soon.

http://www.boston.com/Boston/metrodesk/ ... index.html

That's right, the second train was going to rescue the original disabled and got disabled itself
Josh.W
Formally mbta fan
WE ARE BOSTON, WE ARE BOSTON STRONG

Flicker: http://www.flickr.com/photos/116905626@N06/
Blog: http://jpwilkinson2448.blogspot.com/?m=1
MBTA1016

Postby sery2831 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:50 am

This is the second time this has happened. The last time it happened it was in the same area, but going the other direction. It had to do with low third rail. The concrete track bed in the area is severely deteriorated.
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:55 am

Couple Globe pics this morning of the walk of shame:

At least the Porter section of tunnel's far enough underground that the tunnel is relatively cool. I had to do that once when the Green Line got hosed at GC, during an August heat wave. I felt like I was gonna pass out from how suffocatingly hot the tunnel was on that 100 ft. walk.
F-line to Dudley via Park

Postby Robert Paniagua » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:32 am

sery2831 wrote:This is the second time this has happened. The last time it happened it was in the same area, but going the other direction. It had to do with low third rail. The concrete track bed in the area is severely deteriorated.

Uhhh that's not good, that's why HVD-ALW right of way including that area you said will need to be ripped out, and replaced and the rhitd rail conduits and thrid rail itself would have to be all replaced so that these oddyseys never happen again.....this is bad

At least the Quincy Ctr-Braintree ROW is in good contition, which I use everyday to Braintree
~Robert Paniagua
Moderator: WMATA :: General Railroad Operations
Robert Paniagua

Postby Adams_Umass_Boston » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:37 am

This is why I will never wear sandals on the T. Tunnel walks and sandals seem like a bad idea.
Adams_Umass_Boston

Postby Finch » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:19 pm

Jury's still out on the cause of this one, I imagine. Well...maybe answers were reached today. Gotta check the trains themselves of course.
Finch

MBTA - More Bad Transit Aggrivation...

Postby BowdoinStation » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:14 pm

http://bostonherald.com/news/regional/v ... position=3

I'm surprised the other days Red Line episode did not make it onto these hallowed boards..
BowdoinStation

Re: MBTA - More Bad Transit Aggrivation...

Postby 3rdrail » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:21 pm

No biggy. It was just a coincidence that the rescue train laid down. That's common practice. It usually works and it's a lot better than having passengers walk through the tunnel.
~Paul Joyce~
[i]Moderator: Toy Trains, Model Railroading, Outdoor and Live Steam

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

North Station Orange Line problems

Postby omgitsgela » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:42 pm

There was a train today that I just missed -- but I'm glad I did. The train went to leave North Station inbound, moved one foot and a loud thud could be heard and the train stopping cold. Operator restarted the train systems several times, each time attempting to move, with the same loud thud stopping the train. After about 10 minutes, the train successfully left the station, but it was interesting to see.

Wonder what happened? I didn't see anything too obvious down on the rails that would have caused the problem.
omgitsgela

Re: North Station Orange Line problems

Postby jr145 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:24 pm

What time was this? I must have just missed it. I was there around quarter past 5.
jr145

Postby type 7 3704 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:28 pm

blackcap wrote:mbta.com says Green Line D is a mess right now:

Green Line D branch customers attending the Red Sox game this evening, express bus service to Fenway will be available at Riverside due to the power issues we are experiencing in the Riverside area. Personnel on scene to assist customers. 7/5/2011 3:33 PM

Green Line D will run shuttle buses from Waban to Riverside due to a power problem. 7/5/2011 2:53 PM

This is pretty late, but basically a 2-car train (3645 and 3843) had both their pantographs damaged when entering Woodland station on the inbound side. Obviously they shut down the cars and told everyone to get out and get into the train behind them. A team later showed up pretty quick and they tied down the pantographs, and they suspected cantenary problems. This was around 2:30 I recall. Shuttle buses showed up about 45 minutes later. I saw a hi-rail truck slowly coming down from Riverside around then but I left before it arrived.

Service next day was normal.
type 7 3704

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)