Subway Delay Reports and Discussion

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: Subway Delay Reports and Discussion

Postby BandM4266 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:19 am

Trouble at Charles MGH Station as a T Employee falls down into a Manhole/Shaft. News has it as a hole covered by Plywood and describe it as 2x2 in dimension.

http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/loca ... t-station/
BandM4266

Postby BostonUrbEx » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:29 am

T Alert I received on my phone (and I'm signed up for the Orange Line only!) says bussing between Harvard and JFK. I think we need more crossovers....
BostonUrbEx

Re: MBTA Worker Falls Through Track on Red Line

Postby BostonUrbEx » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:42 am

NECN won't stop talking about it.... Anyways, when I got the alert (as I'm only signed up for the Orange Line) I knew it was pretty serious. And I just knew it had to be a worker who was working during the closed hours. (Honestly, when I saw "Medical Emergency" I thought: when does someone kill themself as soon as service resumes in the AM?)
BostonUrbEx

Postby diburning » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:29 am

He's out, he's ok and is being treated at mass general (right next door). They're interviewing two workers now. I suspect they'll do a quick inspection to find the cause (I have my money on a rusty manhole cover giving way)
diburning

Postby Robert Paniagua » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:33 am

It is indeed an huge incident as we had service cutoff btw Broadway and Harvard thus requiring bustitution which I was affected and had to jump on a shuttle bus to get to my destination
~Robert Paniagua
Moderator: WMATA :: General Railroad Operations
Robert Paniagua

Postby diburning » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:52 am

All the shuttles are discoordinated. shuttes do not stop at DTX, goes straight to BOS. Additional shuttles departing DTX. Traffic is a clusterfluff (which by the way is a new Ben and Jerry's flavor)
diburning

Postby Teamdriver » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:59 am

News said it was a piece of plywood covering opening to shaft. Good work by Boston Fire, especially the two jakes that went down into the shaft to rig up the fallen worker.
Teamdriver

Postby BostonUrbEx » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:00 am

Red Line experiencing 10-15 min delays due to earlier medical emergency 3/30/2011 7:55 AM

All clear.
BostonUrbEx

Postby Diverging Route » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:14 am

Robert Paniagua wrote:It is indeed an huge incident as we had service cutoff btw Broadway and Harvard thus requiring bustitution which I was affected and had to jump on a shuttle bus to get to my destination

On my inbound PVD train this morning the conductor announced it, and urged Cambridge-destined commuters to hop off at Ruggles and get the CT2. That's what I usually do when I come in from the South, and it works well.
Diverging Route

Postby Robert Paniagua » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:27 am

That was nice of the conductor to do that, unlike the driver of the Orange Line trai who didnt communicate with his passengers on Monday, but Im glad, Diverging Route, that your conductor made the announcements to get you to the CT2 bus
~Robert Paniagua
Robert Paniagua

Postby Robert Paniagua » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:30 am

I was part of the mess on the Red Line from Braintree this morning my train was suspended but I rode the Shuttle bus in stride we even got to take a shortcut through Foundry Street and go to see the Red Line Cabot yard and the Postal Annex. I got off at Park Street right at the very old cemetery on Tremont Street
~Robert Paniagua
Robert Paniagua

Postby diburning » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:41 am

Red line service was restored around 8-ish. I got to Kendall at 7. It took a whole hour to get from Kendall to South Station. When the shuttle arrived at south station, the operator told us that the red line was running again. Luckily, I was able to get down and board the train before it left and escaped the clusterfluff of people that would be pouring into the stations afterwards.
diburning

Postby diburning » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:44 am

I seriously considered hopping off at Park street to get the orange line to Ruggles to get on the #8 to get to JFK/UMass. Thankfully I was able to get from my house to UMass in 2 and a half hours (a trip that would otherwise take 45 minutes)
diburning

Postby octr202 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:58 am

By about 6:45-7:00 am (ish), they had service restored between Harvard & Kendall. Buses were loading at Kendall for downtown points, trains using the Kendall crossover to terminate on the Kendall inbound platform.

By about 8:00 AM service was restored in both directions and the buses started pulling back. Just about every rubber tired passenger conveyance model in the fleet was used, short of a trackless trolley towing a generator.
Wondering if I'll see the Haverhill double-tracking finished before I retire...
Photo: Melbourne W7 No. 1019 on Route 78, Bridge & Church Streets, Richmond, Victoria. 10/21/2010
octr202

Location: In the land of the once and future 73 trackless trolley.

Postby banshee » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:58 am

diburning wrote:Too bad morning rush hour commuter trains don't stop at JFK/UMASS

Old Colony and Greenbush trains were making stops at Braintree, Quincy Center and JFK Umass
banshee

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)