What To Ride, What To See, What To Do Thread For Visitors

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: Visiting Boston next week, whats worth seeing?

Postby StevieC48 » Mon May 09, 2011 10:41 pm

I see that this topic has gone from visiting Boston to a Transit Police thread,lol. So should we start a new thread since the Transit Police actualary has a intresting history and are involved with the T. Paul correct me if I am wrong, when I was hanging around the system with Danny etc. as a Starter and later as Inspector and so on up the chain of comand, they had some police training and were deputized as Street Railway Police Officers which it stated on their badge. (clamshell style) My questions are

1. Were they State Specials or Boston Police Specials Rule 400?

2, Was there a statue in the MGL governing the Street Railway Police if they were not State or Boston Specials?

I also remember if my memory is not so foggy that the Transit Police wanted extra officers on the force and that the T was spending what the cost of 3-4 Transit Police Officers salaries to put the Instructors,Cheif Inspectors and Inspectors through the St Ry PO class yearly. All I remember is that the Transit Police hired the extra officers and the St Ry PO program was ended.
Farewell old friend thanks for the memories.
#4 EBT cars Hawker Siddley 1978-2009

Instructor/Inspector SERY
Member 25 years proud
StevieC48

Postby 3rdrail » Mon May 09, 2011 11:32 pm

State Specials under MGL C159, S93.
~Paul Joyce~
[i]Moderator: Toy Trains, Model Railroading, Outdoor and Live Steam

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Back on topic,

Postby Robert Paniagua » Tue May 10, 2011 5:28 am

So, MediumApproach,

How did your time in Boston went overall? Do you have your pics so that we can see?
~Robert Paniagua
Moderator: WMATA :: General Railroad Operations
Robert Paniagua

Postby ApproachMedium » Tue May 10, 2011 6:26 am

It was good, but that was a while ago now! Like I mentioned before no real photos worth sharing on here I think the whole time I only took a handful and other than the cab of the MARC engine its probably all stuff you've all seen plenty of times lol. I did alot of looking with my eyes on this one than taking pictures.
No good deed goes unpunished.
ApproachMedium

Postby Robert Paniagua » Tue May 10, 2011 11:30 am

Oh all right, Im glad you had a great time uphere and come back again! I frequently take the T because I work in Boston 5 days a week
~Robert Paniagua
Moderator: WMATA :: General Railroad Operations
Robert Paniagua

Places to avoid on the T

Postby lilbluefoxie » Tue May 01, 2012 10:13 pm

I am planning a trip this month to Boston with a freind. Is there any stations or sections on the lines to avoid due to it being in a crappy neighborhood? I'm from the suburbs down in NY but I do have some street smarts and he is in the suburbs up there. I've been up and down the NYC Subway on my own in most spots except for the real bad areas like the south bronx, east new york, brownsville, etc. Is any part of the T comparable to the stations in those parts of New York City?
lilbluefoxie

Re: Places to avoid on the T

Postby joshg1 » Wed May 02, 2012 1:16 am

The T has crime stats: http://mbta.com/transitpolice/crimestats/ which are a basic guide.

By reputation I'd avoid the Orange Line altogether, especially south of Back Bay, but the crime stats don't back me up. I wouldn't go to Mattapan late, accessed via Ashmont, as it seems to make the news frequently. But for a tourist there's not much reason to go too far south, except: JFK library, Quincy (John Adams sites), and the restored PCC trolleys that run from Ashmont to Mattapan(all Red line). And the Arboretum, but I doubt you're a tree fancier. Don't know much about commuter rail close to the termini. I will say the only time I've been scared on the T was 20 years ago, with my shopping bags at Downtown Crossing, a madman with wild white hair started shouting about women wasting time and money on shopping. I stepped back from the edge of the platform, but he was all mouth and no trousers.

If you ride in a college area (Green Line B,C,+E, 1+66 buses among others), you will be packed in like a sardine, so wallet in the front pocket might be a good idea, although I haven't done that in years.
joshg1

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Wed May 02, 2012 7:36 am

The Orange Line is so heavily-trafficked there really is no danger on the SW Corridor stops. It has a bad reputation and lots of overblown media hype because Roxbury is a predominately black neighborhood...old attitudes die hard in Boston and people tend to assume the worst. But other than around 3:00-4:00 PM when it's swarmed by tons of commuting schoolchildren doing annoying but mostly harmless mischief the T is very safe. Stations are security-cammed to the hilt these days so nothing escapes notice, and the surveillance has even sharply cut the number of panhandlers making it past the turnstyles. The security cam era makes it much, much safer than it was even 5 years ago.

Mattapan after dark does require proper caution because it is a rougher neighborhood, but that's more due to the light off-peak usage of the Mattapan Line and fully open access to the station. You're going to want to ride those trolleys in the daytime, though, to really experience how picturesque that historic line is.

And, yes, if you don't like drunk and/or douchey college students packed like sardines stay away from the Green Line B and E branches on Friday and Saturday nights. Before and after Red Sox games are also hellish in the Kenmore area with the most packed crowds any train will ever see (and a slightly more uncomfortable-than-usual squeeze because of the average...uh..."girth" of Joe Bleacher-seater) , but that's a pretty short-lived crush load. Just check the schedule to see if they're on a homestand and mind the start times of the game, then eyeball the scores (not hard...every damn establishment in town has the game on in plain view) to time when it hits late innings. The crowds will get truly ridiculous for about an hour after the last out.
F-line to Dudley via Park

Postby BostonUrbEx » Wed May 02, 2012 11:21 am

*clutches pearls* Watch out for those black neighborhoods. *rolls eyes*

The only place I would avoid is being on the Ashmont Branch of the Red Line after maybe 7pm. This includes not being on the Mattappan Trolley, too. But this is primarily due to my unfamiliarity with that area, but it does go through some higher crime parts of Dorchester, and it's probably the only place on the system where crime actually happens within stations, and not just nearby/outside.

Don't listen to people who knock the Orange Line, it's fine. And it's aggravating to hear people constantly knocking it. I'd say it's the most diverse line, and I think that just scares some people. Heaven forbid we mix people of such different backgrounds.

There isn't anywhere I wouldn't ride the MBTA during the day.
BostonUrbEx

Postby theseaandalifesaver » Wed May 02, 2012 2:43 pm

There's nowhere on the MBTA that I would feel uncomfortable at any time of the day.

This thread should be locked.
theseaandalifesaver

Postby rethcir » Wed May 02, 2012 4:16 pm

I've traveled the majority of the system, and if you practice normal city smarts and keep to yourself and don't LOOK like a tourist (this includes having your fancy camera out and around your neck) you will be fine, especially during the midday.
rethcir

Postby lilbluefoxie » Wed May 02, 2012 5:20 pm

theseaandalifesaver wrote:There's nowhere on the MBTA that I would feel uncomfortable at any time of the day.

This thread should be locked.

That's because (according to your profile) you live in Boston.

Would you say the same thing if you went to the NYC Subway or Washington Metro and you were unfamiliar with them and the city in general?

---

Also I am only going to be railfanning in the daytime.
lilbluefoxie

Postby njt/mnrrbuff » Wed May 02, 2012 6:41 pm

Just like any other city, be aware of your surroundings. The Orange Line does go through some rough areas, especially Roxbury. The Ashmont Branch of the Red Line goes through questionable areas, especially Dorchester, so I wouldn't ride it after dark, or even hang out a while at the intermediate stations. Mattapan is a questionable neighborhood, and is best to go there during the daytime, and come back.
njt/mnrrbuff

Postby jrc520 » Wed May 02, 2012 6:54 pm

All this having been said, I'll add my two cents and say that I've NEVER had a problem, anywhere on the T. This includes with my camera round my neck.
jrc520

Postby lilbluefoxie » Wed May 02, 2012 7:04 pm

thanks for the suggestions everyone :)
lilbluefoxie

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)