What To Ride, What To See, What To Do Thread For Visitors

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: Places to avoid on the T

Postby BigUglyCat » Wed May 02, 2012 7:57 pm

theseaandalifesaver wrote:This thread should be locked.

Let's leave that up to John, OK?
BigUglyCat

Postby diburning » Wed May 02, 2012 10:06 pm

lilbluefoxie wrote:
theseaandalifesaver wrote:There's nowhere on the MBTA that I would feel uncomfortable at any time of the day.

This thread should be locked.

That's because (according to your profile) you live in Boston.

Which makes him fully qualified to answer your question.

Who knows Boston more than someone who lives here?
diburning

Postby lilbluefoxie » Thu May 03, 2012 10:31 am

diburning wrote:
lilbluefoxie wrote:
theseaandalifesaver wrote:There's nowhere on the MBTA that I would feel uncomfortable at any time of the day.

However you managed to skip the second part of my post. A native of everywhere is going to be more comfortable than someone who's not from the area. I've gone up and down 85% of NYC Subway without any problems, however someone unfamiliar to New York I wouldn't recommend going to every single part of the system unless they were in a group of people or with someone from the area who knows the area.
lilbluefoxie

Postby theseaandalifesaver » Thu May 03, 2012 10:49 am

[quote="lilbluefoxie"][quote="diburning"][quote="lilbluefoxie"][quote="theseaandalifesaver"]There's nowhere on the MBTA that I would feel uncomfortable at any time of the day.

This thread should be locked.[/quote]

That's because (according to your profile) you live in Boston.[/quote]

Who knows Boston more than someone who lives here?[/quote]

However you managed to skip the second part of my post. A native of everywhere is going to be more comfortable than someone who's not from the area. I've gone up and down 85% of NYC Subway without any problems, however someone unfamiliar to New York I wouldn't recommend going to every single part of the system unless they were in a group of people or with someone from the area who knows the area.[/quote]

Boston and NYC should never be compared when talking about "bad areas".
theseaandalifesaver

Postby lilbluefoxie » Thu May 03, 2012 10:55 am

theseaandalifesaver wrote:Boston and NYC should never be compared when talking about "bad areas".

and whys that? I'm guessing perhaps Boston has fewer "bad areas".
lilbluefoxie

Re: What To Ride, What To See, What To Do Thread For Visitor

Postby lilbluefoxie » Thu May 03, 2012 11:25 am

Another question I have is that of timing. I've got a route planned out that gets a good sampling of all the lines and the rolling stock of each line (My goal is, like with the NYC Subway is to photograph all the different types of railcars and each line) Ill be coming in from the suburbs where my friend lives taking MBTA Commuter Rail. The Train arrives around noon at Back Bay, we would then grab a quick lunch and then head down to the T. Assuming in some spots we waited for two trains to pass by instead of just hopping directly onto the next arriving train, and based on a VERY Rough estimate, is this doable by about 5-6pm?

*** KEY ***
B- Blue, O- Orange, R- Red, GD- Green Line D branch, M- Ashmont Mattapan, () is a Photo Stop.

O to Downtown Crossing for R
R to Ashmont for M
M to Milton ()
M to Ashmont for R
R to Savin Hill ()
R to JFK/UMASS
R to N Quincy ()
R to Charles/MGH ()
R to Park St for GD
GD to Brookline Hills ()
GD to Longwood ()
GD to Govt Ctr () for B
B to Aquarium ()
B to Wood Isl ()
B to Suffolk Downs ()
B to State for O
O to North Station ()
-- get Green and Comm Rail photos --
O to Community Coll ()
O to Wellington ()
O to Malden ()
O to Downtown Crossing for R
R to South Station
-- Silver Line Photo --
Grab the next Train out.
lilbluefoxie

Postby theseaandalifesaver » Thu May 03, 2012 12:00 pm

It's not that Boston has fewer bad areas. If you're just looking to explore the transit system and not the actually city, then you certainly have nothing the worry about at any time of day. All the stations are very well lit, well patrolled, and are generally busy up until the last train.

Anyone who tells you to avoid taking a certain train on the MBTA after a certain hour clearly lives a very sheltered life and shouldn't be giving advice.

I could recommend not exploring the areas around a few stations after dark, but that doesn't sound like it's your intent.

Just remember that the trains don't run 24/7, so if you plan on doing any late night train riding, make sure you check last train schedules and give yourself enough time to get to where you need to be.
theseaandalifesaver

Postby diburning » Thu May 03, 2012 5:52 pm

lilbluefoxie wrote:
diburning wrote:
lilbluefoxie wrote:

However you managed to skip the second part of my post. A native of everywhere is going to be more comfortable than someone who's not from the area. I've gone up and down 85% of NYC Subway without any problems, however someone unfamiliar to New York I wouldn't recommend going to every single part of the system unless they were in a group of people or with someone from the area who knows the area.

Right, and if he's comfortable, then you should be too. (wasn't that the whole point of you asking in the first place?) Unless you dress like an obvious tourist with a sun hat and fanny pack, you'll be just as safe as he is.

If you're interested, some of the Newton stops such as Newton Center have the original Boston and Albany Railroad stations still standing. They would make an interesting backdrop for photos of the green line.
diburning

Postby theseaandalifesaver » Thu May 03, 2012 6:46 pm

The New York Subway system is a lot different than the MBTA. Not only is it larger, but most stations aren't very well lit, and a lot of the transfer passages are extremely sketchy even at 1:00pm.

The MBTA is a lot different than the MTA in pretty much every aspect in the sense that (again) every station is well lit and there's generally a lot of people around all the time.
theseaandalifesaver

Postby lilbluefoxie » Thu May 03, 2012 8:22 pm

theseaandalifesaver wrote:The New York Subway system is a lot different than the MBTA. Not only is it larger, but most stations aren't very well lit, and a lot of the transfer passages are extremely sketchy even at 1:00pm.

The MBTA is a lot different than the MTA in pretty much every aspect in the sense that (again) every station is well lit and there's generally a lot of people around all the time.

ill keep that in mind :)
lilbluefoxie

Postby The EGE » Sat May 05, 2012 2:49 pm

Discovered yesterday that the pedestrian overpass off Reservoir Road in Brookline provides a wonderful place to railfan the D branch. You've got a spot in the center of 3/4 mile of straight track between Reservoir and Chestnut Hill station with almost nothing to bother you.
The EGE

Postby CSX Conductor » Sun May 06, 2012 12:02 am

Orange Line platforms that offer good photo opportunities of Commuter Rail: Malden Center, Roxbury Crossing (inbound CR & Amtrak), Fotest Hills CR platform is long and good for shots of CR & Amtrak.

I agree that people saying avoid Orange Line south of BACK BAY are not 100% street smart. I've gone to some really shady neighborhoods in NYC to get pics...yeah I got alot of looks but nobody bothered me because I didn't stare back pr look like I was nervous....oh wait, maybe it's because I grew up in Forest Hills which is at that "crime ridden souther end of the Orange Line"... LMAO.
CSX Conductor

Postby diburning » Sun May 06, 2012 12:49 am

Roxbury Crossing is not a good place to see the CR. There is a wall between the Orange Line (which is a center platform there) and the corridor.

I'd suggest Ruggles for that.
diburning

Postby CSX Conductor » Sun May 06, 2012 8:25 am

diburning wrote:Roxbury Crossing is not a good place to see the CR. There is a wall between the Orange Line (which is a center platform there) and the corridor.

I'd suggest Ruggles for that.

I should have been clearer, the south end of the platform offers a good view of inbound CR & Amtraks....
CSX Conductor

Postby njt/mnrrbuff » Sun May 06, 2012 12:22 pm

Ruggles is a nice afternoon spot for photographing MBTA Commuter rail and Amtrak. Just remember that the only platform is between the westbound outer and the middle tracks, so some westbound MBTA trains may be backlite on the sides.
njt/mnrrbuff

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)