MBTA's paint scheme

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Postby SnoozerZ49 » Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:02 pm

I agree, the 1100's (GP-40MC) should be scrapped, the sooner the better! I can't imagine the T going after anything but some sort of low bid rebuilt units though. Whatever their next move on motive power is it will probably be just as bad.

Does anyone have any feedback about how the GE P-40's are in commuter service? I have heard that they accelerate poorly. I only worked one job on Amtrak that had them and we had one on each end so the engineer always seemed to have enough "Ummph" to get out of the stations.
SnoozerZ49

Postby AEM7AC920 » Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:24 pm

SnoozerZ49 wrote:I agree, the 1100's (GP-40MC) should be scrapped, the sooner the better! I can't imagine the T going after anything but some sort of low bid rebuilt units though. Whatever their next move on motive power is it will probably be just as bad.

Does anyone have any feedback about how the GE P-40's are in commuter service? I have heard that they accelerate poorly. I only worked one job on Amtrak that had them and we had one on each end so the engineer always seemed to have enough "Ummph" to get out of the stations.

Don't get me wrong the Genny's are great long distance engines but they do accelerate slowly and that is something the T doesn't need. We have some stops that are close together and I doubt that the train would be up to speed... I do think a P32AC would be nice forthe job but not in dual mode since we don't have 3rd rail for the commuter rail. As of now we all know the F40's are best for the job as usual and the GP40's aren't all that bad the F40's are a bit better because of the Caterpillar engines which is a reason why they do the doubles more. I do think the GP40's deserve some credit they served in freight service and now are working in commuter service which is another reason why they fire things up sometimes or die.
AMTRAK HAWK DETECTOR TRACK 1 NOOO DEFECTS OUT!
AEM7AC920

Postby ST214 » Thu Nov 25, 2004 10:18 pm

I'll bet the P40's could be regeared into a P32. The P32's pick up pretty well. Can easily outacelerate a P40. M-N can't afford the slow-loading either and don't seem to have that problem with the P32's.

What we REALLY should have bought was Ex Amtrak F40's!!!!

If you want to see what an F40 can do, go to Worcester, and stand at the old station. Watch the inbound train depart. The F40 has it moving at a good clip by the time it passes you. Can't say the same for the GP40MC's. Maybe i'll change my signatures to what the GP40MC's newest flaw has been-fires.
Hoping for a rebirth of the Screamer fleet.
ST214

Previous

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)