0600's

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Postby jwhite07 » Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:11 am

The problem with the Blue Line is that someone decided that locating a maintenance facility and storage yard in the middle of a salt marsh was a good idea.

Regardless of what the carbodies of the new cars will be made of, there's still going to be a lot of exposed componentry underfloor and on the roof that is not made of stainless steel, and that stuff is still going to need to be replaced more often than might otherwise be the case.
jwhite07

Postby efin98 » Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:48 am

jwhite07 wrote:The problem with the Blue Line is that someone decided that locating a maintenance facility and storage yard in the middle of a salt marsh was a good idea.

Regardless of what the carbodies of the new cars will be made of, there's still going to be a lot of exposed componentry underfloor and on the roof that is not made of stainless steel, and that stuff is still going to need to be replaced more often than might otherwise be the case.

It's not a salt marsh, it's actually on one of the few pieces of natural dry land in East Boston. It just so happens to be down the road from the Belle Isle Marsh, the Chelsea River, and the inner harbor which doesn't help when you get winds whipping on three sides- all containing salt air. Any place along the Blue Line will have the same troubles due to salt air. The only thing that can be done is to reguarly maintain the cars, you prevent corrosion from building up and fix any problems that do arise. That holds true for all the lines, not just the Blue Line.
efin98

Postby octr202 » Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:01 am

Speaking of which, does the T have car washers or wash racks at any of its shops? Just like with your automobile in winter, one key to preventing rust and corosion is to wash the salt off. I've noticed that the T doesn't seem to wash vehicles very much, be they subway, trolleys or buses. In fact, some of the new buses and tracklesses are already completely covered in grime...and were so before the snow last week.
Wondering if I'll see the Haverhill double-tracking finished before I retire...
Photo: Melbourne W7 No. 1019 on Route 78, Bridge & Church Streets, Richmond, Victoria. 10/21/2010
octr202

Location: In the land of the once and future 73 trackless trolley.

Postby apodino » Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:20 pm

Riverside has washes. I don't know about anywhere else.
Rich "Dino" Martin
A one time happy rider of Arborway and the old Washington St. El.
apodino

Postby NealG » Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:45 pm

I believe that all maintence facilities have washers.

As far as preventing corrosion on the blue line vehicles, it may be well worth the expense to construct a storage shed over the yard at the Blue Line maint. facility.
NealG

car washes

Postby willfh » Sun Nov 21, 2004 7:13 am

cabot, codman, orient heights and wellington all have car washes.

The codman was track is frequently out of service
willfh

Postby efin98 » Sun Nov 21, 2004 9:03 am

The wash racks don't help much if the trains sit outside all day and night while not running and when they are running they are running through all kinds of weather. Even if you wash them clean in the morning they will come back worse after the day- it's just how it is while running on the coast. Corrosion will happen, it's inevitable. Even the best maintained equiptment breaks down eventually, just a fact of life.
efin98

Postby fm535 » Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:35 pm

Robert Paniagua wrote:The new Siemens car bodies are stainless steel. Like the Reddy's(01800's) , its gonna take a lot to rust those babies out! And the Reddy's have been traveling along ocean front property for a few years now and when they are clean, they look pretty good!

Actually they run a bit further away from the ocean than the Blue Line. The Blue Line, in several spots, runs pretty close to the waters, but the Red runs around 3/4 mile into land.

Robert, don't forget the Neponset Bridge, and Dorchester Harbor(with just the Xpressway and Malibu Beach in between the tracks) are all along side of the Red Line, and Wollaston is within 1/4 of a mile, too. I know Revere has a lot more marsh exposure, and that is considerable!
fm535

Postby Robert Paniagua » Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:48 pm

Robert, don't forget the Neponset Bridge, and Dorchester Harbor(with just the Xpressway and Malibu Beach in between the tracks) are all along side of the Red Line, and Wollaston is within 1/4 of a mile, too. I know Revere has a lot more marsh exposure, and that is considerable!

Ok, didn't know those counted as well, very similar also to the A line thru the Rockaways, it runs along Jamaica Bay, and either side of the trackage is surrounded by water south of Howard Beack/JFK Airpourt all the way down.
~Robert Paniagua
Moderator: WMATA :: General Railroad Operations
Robert Paniagua

Postby StevieC48 » Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:00 am

The salt air is no good but you also forgot the jet fuel they drop over the trains when the jets land or take off. Stevie
Farewell old friend thanks for the memories.
#4 EBT cars Hawker Siddley 1978-2009

Instructor/Inspector SERY
Member 25 years proud
StevieC48

Postby efin98 » Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:07 am

StevieC48 wrote:The salt air is no good but you also forgot the jet fuel they drop over the trains when the jets land or take off. Stevie

The trains run in an environment where no matter what you do to prevent the cars from getting dirty or getting salt in them they will get salt in them. It's unavoidable. The only possible way for them to realistically keep the salt off of them would be to have the yard totally covered on all sides and run the trains in a tunnel over the entire route. Neither of those two situations are going to happen anytime soon so the only option is to just do what is going on now.
efin98

Did Someone Forget

Postby Porter Sq » Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:27 pm

I was Riding on the Blue Line the other night from Orient Heights to Goverment Center Around 5:30.I was Riding in the second car of the train.We get to airport station all is fine we leave and all of a sudden the train comes to a screching hault.We wait about a minuite and start to back up into the station.The doors open again and the Power shuts off and switches over and off we go again.Now if the operator forgot to switch why couldn't he just do it at Maverick and does anybody know if it is mandotory that the train has to be in the station and the doors open for the switch over.
Porter Sq

Previous

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)