Railroad Map with Mileposts and Control Points

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Railroad Map with Mileposts and Control Points

Postby bostonrailfan » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:29 pm

I have a questions for anyone and everyone. I am interested in looking for a map that shows the trackage in the Boston area and in the state of Massachusetts. The map in question is one that shows mile post markers and control points. If anyone knows where I can find this online, it would be of great help. I am using this as part of a research in writing a book that involves a character that works for a passenger railroad in the Southampton Rail yard. Thank you in advance for your help.
bostonrailfan

Re: railroad map with mileposts and control points

Postby mtuandrew » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:26 pm

Moderator's Note: Topic moved to MBTA Rail Operations, 10:25 pm CST, 3/1/11. Hopefully you'll have more luck with your inquiry here, bostonrailfan, and welcome to the forum!
mtuandrew

Postby MBTA3247 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:25 am

There's a map floating around of the MBTA's commuter rail network, which has all the interlockings and important mileposts. It's dated 1993, but shows all of the current lines. I don't have a URL for it, but I can email it to you.
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
MBTA3247

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:10 pm

The '93 map is the most recent one I've seen. It's not obsolete by any stretch; there haven't been too many changes to the interlockings.

Unfortunately Massachusetts and the MBTA don't have anything near as awesome available as those MNRR, LIRR, SEPTA/NJ Transit, and state of Connecticut track megamaps that RR.net poster checkthedoorlight created.
F-line to Dudley via Park

Re: Railroad Map with Mileposts and Control Points

Postby diburning » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:03 pm

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/5692/crtrackchart.pdf

Here you go.

Greenbush may be a bit off since this map was drawn before Greenbush was built.
diburning

Postby CSX Conductor » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:54 pm

The original poster would probably prefer to get a hold of the employee track charts used for qualifying. Many people don't share those as doing so is a rules violation (divulging company business).

The map linked above looks good. The only thing I noticed which needs to be updated is the Dorchester Branch..... Park Interlocking has was created a few years ago.
CSX Conductor

Postby Diverging Route » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:23 pm

CSX Conductor wrote:The original poster would probably prefer to get a hold of the employee track charts used for qualifying. Many people don't share those as doing so is a rules violation (divulging company business).

The map linked above looks good. The only thing I noticed which needs to be updated is the Dorchester Branch..... Park Interlocking has was created a few years ago.

Also the Mishawum interlocking is gone, and the Anderson station/interlockings are new.
Diverging Route

Postby Mcoov » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:41 pm

Why are there four drawbridges at N. Station, and two tracks straight through from S. Acton to Ayer? They even show a crossover at King St..
Mcoov

Postby BostonUrbEx » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:19 pm

Mcoov wrote:Why are there four drawbridges at N. Station, and two tracks straight through from S. Acton to Ayer? They even show a crossover at King St..

I only see 2 bridges at NS? But I find FX interlocking confusing... Also the lack of detail around BET is probably necessary to avoid clutter, but I find it a little confusing.
BostonUrbEx

Postby bostonrailfan » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:59 pm

WOW! That map is great, it shows everything. WOW! Thank you everyone for all your help, really this is awesome, thank you again everyone.
If I have anymore questions, which I might, I will differently post them here. Once again, thank you everyone!
bostonrailfan

Postby Gerry6309 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:01 pm

Rich Greene "checkthedoorlight" is working on a "Southern New England" trackmap. His maps are as accurate as possible, showing every milepost, crossing, bridge, platform, and most industrial sidings and spurs. He already has the shore line posted as far as the CT-RI line. Best maps in the east!
Gerry. STM/BSRA

The next stop is Washington. Change for Forest Hills Trains on the Winter St. Platform, and Everett Trains on the Summer St. Platform. This is an Ashmont train, change for Braintree at Columbia.
Gerry6309

Postby MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:36 pm

The NEC south (RR west) of Mansfield is different today as well, just some changes to the interlockings
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Postby bostonrailfan » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:14 pm

Okay cool, I will check those out.
Now here is another question.
I just recently got a scanner and I have been trying to listen to the railroad over by South Station, but I can't seem to get them. I think I have the right frequencies, from what I have looked up on-line, but still can't get them. Why is this, any ideas?
bostonrailfan

Postby mitch3910 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:44 pm

bostonrailfan wrote:Okay cool, I will check those out.
Now here is another question.
I just recently got a scanner and I have been trying to listen to the railroad over by South Station, but I can't seem to get them. I think I have the right frequencies, from what I have looked up on-line, but still can't get them. Why is this, any ideas?

It depends on a number of factors, mainly how far away you are and what's in between you and the source of the signal. I'd recommend an aftermarket antenna if you want to pick up anything a decent distance away.
IS2 "Mitch" | Photo Gallery: http://ihavea.name

Any and all above statements are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Government, the Department of Defense, Department of the Navy, or it's affiliates and counterparts.
mitch3910

Postby CSX Conductor » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:58 pm

Did you see this thread i the Amtrak forum?
CSX Conductor

Next

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)