Charlie Card Question

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Charlie Card Question

Postby WonderlandMan » Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:46 pm

I'm sure most of you have heard about the new fare collection system being installed into the MBTA, the Charlie Card/Ticket. Now, I have one question if any of you have the information or an idea. I am a student, i have a Pupil Badge enabling me to pay the Student Half-Fare on the bus, $0.45. Now, If the Charlie Cards are put into place, will there be a way for me to only deduct the half-fare on the charlie card, or will the system just take off the full $0.90. I tried to think how this would work but it stumpd me
WonderlandMan

Postby CS » Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:08 pm

My guess is that you would pay half of the fare.
Also, many who get the pupil half off pass get the student pass that enables you to you every MBTA service (except comm. rail zones 3 - 9 and boat) for free until 8pm. Perhaps they may get rid of the half off pass althogether (and hopefully they will move the time up from 8pm to 10pm because there are plenty of after school activities continuing up to and pass 8pm).
C. Sarjeant
"CS"
CS

Postby trigonalmayhem » Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:38 pm

Perhaps they'll have a different card for students that has some bit of encoded information that only deducts half the fare during certain hours?

You can do a lot of fancy things with a computerized system, so assuming they don't just overlook some things, there should be an easy solution (the whole idea of modernizing the fare collection system is to make things easier, really).
trigonalmayhem

Postby SbooX » Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:49 pm

This is an interesting question that brings up another question. What happens to half-priced/discounted fares paid by children and seniors? If you still pay using a card, whats to stop all of us from selecting a childrens fare option at the vending machine? No one is checking them at the turnstyles so why not? How does New York and other areas handle this problem? One fare for all?
SbooX

Postby trigonalmayhem » Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:17 pm

I imagine they'll have to get a charlieCARD and not ticket with special encoding on it. This still leaves the chance of stealing or finding a lost card with the special encoding, but I can't think of anything much better (unless they decide to associate a parcticular card with a person and have an option to cancel it if lost?)

Actually, I just thought of one other option: If you make people who get discounted fares add value by giving it to a person who swipes it through to put the value on you avoid the possibility of fradulent use, while everyone with normal fares can use the machines.

This might be a bit of a pain, but I doubt there are so many people with discount fares to overwhelm station attendants (especially since they won't be busy selling tokens anymore).
trigonalmayhem

Postby Robert Paniagua » Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:22 am

I wonder how much it will cost for TAP-reduced fare users, myself included in this group.

Maybe Half-fare, or 1/3rd of a fare??
~Robert Paniagua
Moderator: WMATA :: General Railroad Operations
Robert Paniagua

Postby Cotuit » Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:17 am

NYC MTA reduced fare MetroCard info page. This is the information for elderly and disabled passengers. They get a special card with their name and a photo on it. The different look of the card can protect against fraudulent use, someone who is obviously not elderly or disabled would be questioned upon attempting to use it, if the photo matched, they'd be fine. Of course this really only works on the bus, not at the turnstile where no one is looking at your card.

In New York City children under 44 inches tall (I've never seen a bus driver with a ruler), ride free. There is no children's discount, it is either free or full.

Students get special MetroCards issued to them by their schools. I'm pretty sure it is a time based system, I can recall kids getting hassled for trying to ride off time or on weekends with them. I think they can get them reprogrammed if they are in night school programs or have specific late after-school activities.
Cotuit

Postby Cotuit » Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:20 am

trigonalmayhem wrote:(unless they decide to associate a parcticular card with a person and have an option to cancel it if lost?)

NYC also has MetroCard Insurance If you buy an unlimited card with a Credit or Debit Card you are automatically insured and can get a refund if the card is lost or stolen.
Last edited by Cotuit on Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cotuit

Postby Robert Paniagua » Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:21 am

In New York City children under 44 inches tall (I've never seen a bus driver with a ruler), ride free. There is no children's discount, it is either free or full.

That actually applies to subways only, I think. In buses, they most likely have to pay also, like adults.
~Robert Paniagua
Robert Paniagua

Postby Cotuit » Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:24 am

From the MTA site: The fare for a subway or local bus ride is $2. The fare for an express bus ride is $4. If you qualify for Reduced Fare, you can travel for half fare. Up to three children 44 inches tall and under ride for free when accompanied by a fare paying adult.

NYC has one fare system for buses and subways, there is no difference between the two modes, children under 44" tall ride for free on both.
Cotuit

Postby Robert Paniagua » Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:26 am

Huh? I though that was for subways only! Oh Brother, they can ride for nothing on their bus network here? Wow!

Now for here, I think it may be a flexible value to fill the CharlieCard up, like $10, or $20 and so on.
~Robert Paniagua
Robert Paniagua

Postby Cotuit » Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:51 am

New York and Boston have different philosophies regarding bus vs. subway fares.

In New York there are people who have an all subway commute, and they get to transfer for free between the subway lines they use to reach their destination, and get the benfit of subway discounts. People who live in areas with less subway service, like Northeast Queens and Staten Island, receive the same benefits, free transfer between buses and buses to subway and the subway discount benefits.

In Boston, areas not served by the subway are seen as having lesser service (rightly so) and therefore they pay less for the inferior service the bus provides.

The Boston model worked well for me when I had an all bus commute. I got to buy the cheaper monthly bus pass. When I did need to go into the city I entered the subway system for free by boarding surface trolleys (they accept bus passes). Leaving the city I had to pay to enter the subway system however.

The New York system also worked for me when I lived there. I had a bus to subway commute and only needed to pay once to enter the transit system.
Cotuit

Postby Ron Newman » Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:56 am

NYC's "One City, One Fare" system of free transfers started several years after they introduced Metrocard, not at the very beginning.
Ron Newman

Postby RailBus63 » Thu Nov 11, 2004 1:09 pm

I was in NYC with my family last month, and my 7-year-old daughter had to pay full fare.

JD
RailBus63

Charlie Card

Postby GP40MC 1116 » Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:46 pm

I had some questions about this new fare system. Is it going to be like you buy the card and say put 20 or so bucks on it. Everytime u use the system it will automatically get reduced for the fare's u used. Or another thought was it going to be like Washington DC's subway's Metro Fare Cards. U buy for as much as ur ride costs then your card gets sucked in my the turnstyle. Also when is this "Charlie Card' going into service
GP40MC 1116

Next

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)