It's the "Charlie Card" !

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

It's the "Charlie Card" !

Postby Ron Newman » Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:49 pm

http://www.mbta.com/insidethet/press_re ... sp?ID=1072

Check out the link above for the story
Ron Newman

Postby Ron Newman » Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:51 pm

See also http://www.mbta.com/projects_underway/easyway.asp . The T has a bit of a branding problem here, as this page promotes the name 'Easy Way' for the same system.
Ron Newman

Postby efin98 » Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:12 pm

Easy Way seems to be the name for the technology and software used, "Charlie Card" for the actual cards.

At least the T realized the significance of Charlie to the MBTA system. If people haven't heard of the T they probably at have heard of Charlie at some point! Smart move by the T.
efin98

Postby FatNoah » Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:37 pm

Personally, I was hoping for the "T Cod". It just works for me on so many levels. :-D

The T does have a branding problem. Most riders don't care about the technology behind the scenes, and hopefully the T will market the cards rather than the technology. After all, it's the cards that people will buy and carry.
FatNoah

Postby Ron Newman » Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:41 pm

The NYCTA's MetroCard campaign has been quite sucessful. However, it also took NYC ten full years between introducing the first MetroCard and accepting the last token. I hope our transition doesn't drag out that long.
Ron Newman

Postby MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 » Mon Nov 08, 2004 5:09 pm

so what is this card? you just swipe it at a entrance and it add's up your total amount and you pay at the end of the month? week?
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

charile card

Postby Porter Sq » Mon Nov 08, 2004 5:20 pm

I like the name but i hope they do something to deter fare jumpers i atleast see 5-15 people a day jump the turnstyles.it makes me made that i have to pay 181 dollars a month and people can take a free ride whenever they want.
Porter Sq

Postby efin98 » Mon Nov 08, 2004 5:35 pm

It looks like fare gates rather than turnstyles, that's the best new way to stop fare evaders.
efin98

Postby Otto Vondrak » Mon Nov 08, 2004 6:31 pm

From the graphic, looks like Charlie is stuck on a Green Line LRV!

-otto-
----------------------------------------------
Moderator: New York State Railfan :: New York Central :: Toy Trains
NYW&B Fan Site :: A Magazine I Read Often :: A Museum I Volunteer At
Otto Vondrak

Postby apodino » Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:30 pm

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:so what is this card? you just swipe it at a entrance and it add's up your total amount and you pay at the end of the month? week?

Not quite. It works the same way as a prepaid calling card does. You buy the card at any value, and when you use your card, it deducts that amount from your card and you have the balance left. And you can add money to the card at any time. A few systems that use this are Bart, Chicago El, NY Subway, and DC Metrorail.
Rich "Dino" Martin
A one time happy rider of Arborway and the old Washington St. El.
apodino

Postby efin98 » Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:59 pm

apodino wrote:
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:so what is this card? you just swipe it at a entrance and it add's up your total amount and you pay at the end of the month? week?

Not quite. It works the same way as a prepaid calling card does. You buy the card at any value, and when you use your card, it deducts that amount from your card and you have the balance left. And you can add money to the card at any time. A few systems that use this are Bart, Chicago El, NY Subway, and DC Metrorail.

I think the system is going one step beyond what the other systems use by implimenting New York's built-in transfer system(transfer is on the card, no need for the cheap paper transfers) and the DC Metro's zoned fare system(for Red and Green Line and on the North Shore and express buses).
efin98

Postby MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 » Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:33 pm

oh ok i get it now, that is awesome, it would make the system flow more smoothly
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Postby ST214 » Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:11 pm

This just sounds like another waste to me. The tokens work fine, and when it's busy, they bring out a cardboard box, and everyone throws in the cash. Besides, are you going to have to swipe it before you can get off a LRV???

I am in support of sticking with the tokens, but unfortunately, that will never happen.
Hoping for a rebirth of the Screamer fleet.
ST214

Postby Robert Paniagua » Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:28 am

I like the name but i hope they do something to deter fare jumpers i atleast see 5-15 people a day jump the turnstyles.it makes me made that i have to pay 181 dollars a month and people can take a free ride whenever they want.

The turnstyle jumping happens a lot in stations south of Quincy Center, especially Braintree because you also have to pay to exit the system, maybe this will minimize the farebeaters that are taking place in Braintree Station.

And ST214, I like the farecards myself, I don't know why you like to be in the past, but I like to be in the future, since a Charlie Card is better than having all those extra coins, ya know???
~Robert Paniagua
Moderator: WMATA :: General Railroad Operations
Robert Paniagua

Postby Ron Newman » Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:44 am

Since I'm an occasional rather than a regular bus rider, I'd appreciate having a stored-value card instead of always worrying about whether I have 90 cents in coins, or trying to stuff a dollar bill into an overcrowded slot on the side of the fare box.
Ron Newman

Next

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)