Porter Station work in Winter 2010

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Porter Station work in Winter 2010

Postby BostonUrbEx » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:22 pm

Anyone know what's up in Porter lately?

First, they placed the very large, red-painted wood box in the unpaid lobby. And today I found this today:

My first thought was: "How the hell did they get this here?!"

And then I wondered what they were doing. The Porter River is once again flowing today (been a slight-to-no trickle for a long time, and so Porter Falls is restored:

Which comes a week or two after they opened the wall at the base of the stairs:

Which today has even more panels removed (no picture).

I'm guessing they're moving forward with more permanent-ish repairs to the structure and walls. But I still wonder how they got that lift there! :P
BostonUrbEx

Re: Porter Station work in Winter 2010

Postby FP10 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:52 pm

I'm going to fire a guess that the red line (and probably the rest of the lines) have a flat car or two to use to bring in construction materials or the like
"even a money tree would draw opposition in Boston "
FP10

Postby orange1234 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:01 am

orange1234

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:58 am

I'd say the elevator/escalator replacements are years overdue, and it's too bad it took a lawsuit to force that issue. Even though they aren't out-of-service nearly as often as they were a few years ago that's only because they're a little more proactive at stopping them for maintenance off-peak instead of letting them fail at commuting times. But there's still a crew there almost every week doing something to keep those units duct-taped together for another day.

That said, I sure as hell hope they're taking care of the leaks, too. Safety hazards such as a perpetually wet and rotted-out concourse to the platforms aren't exactly helping the station's ADA compliance either. Nor are the wall panels that rust out and collapse onto the tracks in front of the waterfall. I've been commuting through that station every day for 7 years, and when they took the wall panels off in the concourse I was almost surprised that things were only that bad behind them. By all logic the accumulated damage should've been that much worse given how many millions of gallons of water must've poured through there in the decades those leaks have been around. That station is a deferred maintenance abomination.
F-line to Dudley via Park

Postby Finch » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:56 pm

FP10 wrote:I'm going to fire a guess that the red line (and probably the rest of the lines) have a flat car or two to use to bring in construction materials or the like

They do have a flat car or two, though I don't know if this was the method for transporting the lift. Seems logical enough to me.
Finch

Postby SM89 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:03 pm

Scope of Work:
The Work includes, but is not limited to, three (3) replacement elevator cabs and related equipment and 2 new elevators. One of the new elevators is approached by a bridge crossing over the commuter rail and connects the surface to the Mezzanine Level and the other connects the Mezzanine level to the two Red Line Platforms. One machine room will be reconfigured and the other will be new. Ductwork and will be relocated to accommodate one of the new elevators and a bathroom will be relocated to accommodate the other. Included is mechanical, electrical, communications and plumbing work to support the design. The sidewalk along Massachusetts Avenue and Somerville Avenue will be re-graded and exterior stairs will be adjusted to accommodate the new grades.

http://mbta.com/business_center/bidding ... er=A40CN04
SM89

Postby Ron Newman » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:53 pm

I thought the existing elevators already served all levels (street, lobby, commuter rail, Red Line platforms). Why do they need to add more elevators?
Ron Newman

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:22 pm

http://accidentalfiddler.blogspot.com/2 ... hobic.html

Pics of the ongoing construction. They've ripped out a few ceiling panels, exposing some of the underlying bedrock the tunnel was bored through.
F-line to Dudley via Park

Postby BostonUrbEx » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:31 pm

Yep, they did that a few weeks ago and I found it interesting because you could see hoses drilled into the rock. I think it might have been from past attempts to control the water leakage. It's really interesting to go take a look around.

I also saw that somehow they got the lift up to the inbound platform at some point a couple weeks ago. I'm not sure how they did that unless they got out a flat car, as we assume they originally got it there on one, and then switched out down the line one night.

They're pretty much still only prepping for work, nothing too heavy has started yet.
BostonUrbEx

Postby BostonUrbEx » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:55 am

Red Line Advisories

Starting on March 21, 2011, elevators 818 (Lobby to Street) and 820 (Lobby to Red Line) at Porter Sq Station will be out of service for approximately one year while they are being replaced.

During this time, an accessible bus shuttle will be provided between Porter Sq Station and Davis Sq Station. Please access the Red Line at Davis Sq.

At Porter Sq: Board shuttle bus on Somerville Ave next to station entrance.

At Davis Sq: See station official to request shuttle bus. Board bus in busway.

Customers exiting the Red Line at Porter Sq should instead exit at Davis Sq and see a station official to request the shuttle bus.

Customers boarding the Red Line at Porter Sq can take the shuttle bus to Davis, or routes 77 or 96 to Harvard Sq.

We apologize for any inconvenience. For more information, contact the MBTA Customer Communications Department at (617) 222-3200, TTY: (617) 222-5146.
BostonUrbEx

Postby jamesinclair » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:32 pm

Can you imagine if it took an office building one year to replace an elevator?
jamesinclair

Postby sery2831 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:10 pm

Well this is an elevator that goes deep in the ground, VERY different from one in an office building. Plus they are adding a second elevator next to it, not a simple replacement. So they have to dig another shaft, and this is probably all to be done at night when the service is shut down.
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

Postby CRail » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:38 pm

BostonUrbEx wrote:I'm not sure how they did that unless they got out a flat car, as we assume they originally got it there on one...

We don't assume this, there is no question that this is how it's done. Work trains move about the lines for various tasks such as that every night.
Moderator: Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority
Avatar:3679A (since wrecked)/3623B (now in service as 3636B).
CRail

Postby The EGE » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:52 pm

How do they do such work on the Blue Line, without connections to the larger rail network?
The EGE

Postby sery2831 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:56 pm

Each line has work trains that work as needed. They do not go from line to line. We are going off topic here...
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

Next

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)