Orange Line at Night

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Moderatour's notice

Postby Robert Paniagua » Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:23 am

MODERATOUR'S NOTICE

Gents, we may want to keep the tempers dow a bit, if we could. Show some peacefulness between each other.

Thanks so much!!!!
~Robert Paniagua
Moderator: WMATA :: General Railroad Operations
Robert Paniagua

Postby jwhite07 » Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:59 am

There's an article in today's Herald ranking the ten stations with the highest incidents of crime during the first three quarters of this year. Forest Hills comes in at number four. Surprisingly, South Station is number one! Conspicuous in their absence on the Top 10 list are two stations that I personally have always been leery of -- Ashmont and Mattapan.

http://news.bostonherald.com/localRegional/view.bg?articleid=52689&format=text

Despite Forest Hills being pretty high on the list, I would have no problem using it on a Friday night. By my own experience, the time to avoid Forest Hills is after school gets out in the midafternoon.

And don't worry about your car... there were NO incidents of motor vehicle theft at Forest Hills between January and September.
jwhite07

Postby Robert Paniagua » Fri Nov 05, 2004 7:22 am

I just saw that article this AM, and I was shocked a bit that this happened at Braintree also, but the cases there got solved. I use the Red Line from Braintree till Park Street and back every day, and luckily, I haven't had any crime problems myself in the area.

As for Parking at Forest Hills, that's pretty much non-existant, since there's no parking there.
~Robert Paniagua
Moderator: WMATA :: General Railroad Operations
Robert Paniagua

Postby jwhite07 » Fri Nov 05, 2004 7:48 am

There is a small lot next to the upper busway on the south side of the station. Much of it is employee parking, but there are a handful of public spaces.
jwhite07

Postby Ron Newman » Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:20 am

At least one private pay lot is within walking distance of Forest Hills station.
Ron Newman

Postby CSX Conductor » Sat Nov 06, 2004 7:30 pm

Forest Hills has been plagued with problems ever since the new Orange Line.................too many dark areas near the station............too many big areas where groups can congregate, etc.
CSX Conductor

Postby efin98 » Sat Nov 06, 2004 9:15 pm

I would think the stats has more to do the sheer amount of usage more than anything else. Look at how many bus routes and Orange Line trains go through there every day and the number of riders entering and exiting there and compare that with other places like that with less buses and trains. Notice on the list the RED LINE in fact has the worst stations, followed by the Orange Line. The only anomoly on the list I can think of would be Wonderland, it has a smaller number of bus routes and alot less riders using it than places higher up and below it yet it's up there. In fact I figured Maverick would have more crime in and around it than Wonderland, especially with more buses feeding into it and the number of passengers using it.

While the designs are not really inviting, the station at Forest Hills has been open for over 17 years so things have to have been changed in and around the station to solve some of the perceived problems at some point. I am sure more can be done, but there's only so much though.
efin98

Previous

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)