Blast from the past!

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: Blast from the past!

Postby 3rdrail » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:41 pm

The last fan trip was coordinated for the 2008 Boston Trolley Meet. As the next Boston Trolley Meet will most likely be held May of next year, I wouldn't be surprised to see a fan trip then or before. Activities on fan trips reflect what type of a fan trip that you are on. A trackless trolley fan trip might bring you through a lot of yard wire, which you would otherwise never have a chance to ride under. A Green Line fan trip might bring you onto an abandoned turn-around. There's always a sufficient number of "photo-stops", and it's always funny to see the look on peoples faces when they see a hundred guys with cameras exiting a car and begin shooting every possible angle ! One of my favorite trips was a "facilities" tour in which we bussed to old transit locations - the Southampton Power Station, Narrow-Gauge Jeffrey's Point Tunnels, etc. Often, the retiring of a transit icon, either a car type, station, line, etc. brings on a trip. Probably, a number of lines and stations are about to make a change, so you might have the ability to be the last passenger to Bowdoin as a terminal, who knows ? For the price of a meal for two at Friendly's, I think that it's well worth not only the ability to get first notification of the sale of fan trip tix before they are sold out, but the other stuff that the BSRA offers as well. List of previous fan trips: http://www.transithistory.org/bsra/pdf/ ... ntrips.pdf
~Paul Joyce~
[i]Moderator: Toy Trains, Model Railroading, Outdoor and Live Steam

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Postby BostonUrbEx » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:04 pm

3rdrail wrote:so you might have the ability to be the last passenger to Bowdoin as a terminal

Oh boy, where do I sign!?! :P

Haha. :) I'll probably be signing up later this week then. :)
BostonUrbEx

Re: "The worst trolley disaster in the United States"

Postby jonnhrr » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:30 am

3rdrail wrote:Be sure to check out my article regarding this wreck in the current issue of the Boston Street Railway Association's Rollsign magazine (March-April 2011) on newstands and being delivered now ! It's got additional info and photos which you'll find interesting.

Just got my Rollsign Tuesday and read it, nice article, very informative!
Still puzzles me how the motorman missed the open draw and the red lanterns. But I guess that is true of most disasters, some things never get answered.

By the way, for those that don't have a subscription, the Seashore Trolley Museum gift shop usually has back issues of Rollsign.
But membership is only $20 a year, worth it for the magazine alone.

Jon
Avatar Photo - P&W local from Gardner to Worcester at Morgan Rd., Hubbardston
jonnhrr

Postby 3rdrail » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:17 pm

I saw this and thought that you guys might be interested in it. It's a true story from a 1943 incident in Mattapan Square in which a little girl was snatched up from the jaws of death by Boston Police Patrolman Ed Lamb on a School Crossing Assignment. Ed came from a long line of progressive policeman and received the Department's Medal of Honor for this brave act. When I was in the police academy, I was taught the "Lamb Method", an innovative defensive use of my night stick, by his brother, Arthur.
Attachments
PTlm EdLamb.jpg
PTlm EdLamb.jpg (118.7 KiB) Viewed 1355 times
~Paul Joyce~

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Postby Adams_Umass_Boston » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:58 pm

Paul,
Is this from your own personal collection?

Its was pretty cool.
Adams_Umass_Boston

Postby 3rdrail » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:43 pm

Nope. Don't have it. It's just another thing that I could have picked up probably, like a BPD comic book produced in the 60's that I had as a kid that I would love to have today. Back then, you just knew that there would be millions of them flying around in fifty years ! (I get a kick out of this one as they must have told the company artist to come up with a trolley drawing...so, he found a California Street San Francisco cable car front end to copy ! hahaha!!! In Mattapan Square !)
~Paul Joyce~

3rdrail

Postby 3rdrail » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:56 pm

I have a feeling that a streetcar full of dearly departed are looking down today with a smile as a young girl is rescued from the Channel under the Summer Street Bridge. Congratulations to Boston Police Officer Eddie Nolan for a job well done ! :-)
~Paul Joyce~

3rdrail

Previous

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)