3 Car Green Line Train Discussion

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: Green Line Expansion Beyond Lechmere

Postby BostonUrbEx » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:40 am

MBTA General Manager Rich Davey reports the first three-car train will pull out of Riverside station 7 a.m. on Monday, with a second to follow at 8:30 a.m. In e-mail, he writes:

"We're starting this up on a trial basis as personnel from the Green Line and Power Department closely monitor the performance of the train and the D branch itself. If all goes well, we plan to increase the number of trips made by 3-car trains and expand the program to the B branch. You are probably aware that the Riverside and Boston College lines are the longest branches of the Green Line. All of the train platforms on the D and B branches can accommodate 3-car train sets."

He says this is the first time the Green Line will see three-car trains in five years. What spurred the return, he said, were comments from a number of customers asking for increased capacity during rush hour, at a "Join the GM" session at Riverside last month.

He adds that in the afternoon, there'll be three-car trains at 4 and 5:40 p.m.


http://www.archboston.org/community/sho ... tcount=829

http://www.universalhub.com/2010/mbta-b ... ains-start
User avatar
BostonUrbEx
 
Posts: 3587
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:55 pm
Location: Winn to MPT 8, Boston to MPN 38, and Hat to Bank

Re: Green Line Central Subway Stations Discussion

Postby jscola30 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:29 pm

heard on wbz this morning that tomorrow, the T will run (2) 3 car trains in the morning rush, and (2) 3 car trains for the evening rush, on one of the green line branches (i forget). of course, they're hoping to expand this other branches.
jscola30
 
Posts: 779
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2005 12:18 am

Re: Green Line Central Subway Stations Discussion

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:41 am

jscola30 wrote:heard on wbz this morning that tomorrow, the T will run (2) 3 car trains in the morning rush, and (2) 3 car trains for the evening rush, on one of the green line branches (i forget). of course, they're hoping to expand this other branches.


D and B lines, the two that have most frequently gotten the 3-car trains on prior tries because of their length.
F-line to Dudley via Park
 
Posts: 7111
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:26 pm
Location: North Cambridge

Re: Green Line Expansion Beyond Lechmere

Postby Type7trolley » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:25 pm

First day of 3 car operations... here's a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_i7yCY1dftc
User avatar
Type7trolley
 
Posts: 169
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 6:31 pm

Re: 3 Car Green Line Train Discussion

Postby Mcoov » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:29 pm

Interesting to see that they would sandwich a Type 8 between two Type 7s. I thought the 8 would be in the lead.
User avatar
Mcoov
 
Posts: 601
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:51 pm

Re: 3 Car Green Line Train Discussion

Postby jamesinclair » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:49 pm

Mcoov wrote:Interesting to see that they would sandwich a Type 8 between two Type 7s. I thought the 8 would be in the lead.


No, it makes sense for ADA.

That way the accessible area is close to everyone on the platform
jamesinclair
 
Posts: 2158
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:22 pm

Re: 3 Car Green Line Train Discussion

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:21 pm

jamesinclair wrote:
Mcoov wrote:Interesting to see that they would sandwich a Type 8 between two Type 7s. I thought the 8 would be in the lead.


No, it makes sense for ADA.

That way the accessible area is close to everyone on the platform


And for rush hour it makes for higher passenger capacity because the 7's can hold more people total with their seating arrangement and not having stairs in the low-floor section. 7-8-7 triplets on the B and D, and 8-8 and 8-7 doubles on the C and E are the right car assignment alignment for max GL capacity. It's also the intended mix, since there are 110 operational (non-wrecked/scrapped) Kinkis vs. 94 operational Bredas, so Type 7's are always going to be the majority car. 7-8-7's actually put them closer to complete operational compliance with ADA because it eats up enough of the differential between high-floor and low-floor makes to not be forced by the numbers to run occasional 7-7 consists.
F-line to Dudley via Park
 
Posts: 7111
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:26 pm
Location: North Cambridge

Re: 3 Car Green Line Train Discussion

Postby diburning » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:54 pm

Also, the 7-8-7 sandwich allows for a somewhat smoother operation as the type 7s and type 8s aren't quite speed matched (you have a type 7 in the front pulling, and a type 7 in the back pushing, which means that each type 7 is taking up about 50% of the difference in speeds between the 7s and 8s)
User avatar
diburning
 
Posts: 2964
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:37 pm
Location: Practicing safe CSX by using Three-Step Protection

Re: 3 Car Green Line Train Discussion

Postby jmac42887 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:35 pm

Just tweeted...
@mbtaGM Starting Monday we will be running two 3-car Green Line trains on the B line in each morning and evening rush hour.
jmac42887
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:08 pm
Location: Cambridge

Re: 3 Car Green Line Train Discussion

Postby MBTA3247 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:09 pm

I'll be interested to see how they handle triplets on the B line. At BC the outbound platform is only 2 cars long, so unless they empty the first car of an outbound train at the unused platform at the end of the reservation and then pull up a carlength beyond the main platform, the rear car is going to be hanging out in Comm Ave when the train stops to unload the remaining passengers. And there's several other stops where I'm not convinced the platforms are 3 cars long (it's very close if they are).
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
User avatar
MBTA3247
 
Posts: 2594
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:01 pm
Location: Milton

Re: 3 Car Green Line Train Discussion

Postby Mcoov » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:09 pm

They could stop so that the last door of the first car and first door of the last car are on the platform, while the middle car is at the platform. They'll need to extend station stops if this procedure is used, so as to let everyone out of the two cars that aren't fully at the platform.
User avatar
Mcoov
 
Posts: 601
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:51 pm

Re: 3 Car Green Line Train Discussion

Postby Philip Wirth » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:43 pm

MBTA3247 wrote:I'll be interested to see how they handle triplets on the B line. At BC the outbound platform is only 2 cars long, so unless they empty the first car of an outbound train at the unused platform at the end of the reservation and then pull up a carlength beyond the main platform, the rear car is going to be hanging out in Comm Ave when the train stops to unload the remaining passengers. And there's several other stops where I'm not convinced the platforms are 3 cars long (it's very close if they are).


I think that platform has been at least partially removed. I'll double check on Monday. At BC though, sometimes they use one of the yard tracks to unload passengers when the train is going OOS (which the 3-car train might be if it has a special schedule), so they could use that, assuming there were no passengers who needed the raised platform.
User avatar
Philip Wirth
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:24 pm

Re: 3 Car Green Line Train Discussion

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:24 pm

Mcoov wrote:They could stop so that the last door of the first car and first door of the last car are on the platform, while the middle car is at the platform. They'll need to extend station stops if this procedure is used, so as to let everyone out of the two cars that aren't fully at the platform.


They've done triplets on the B more than any other line the last decade, and the last two stints they did it were exclusively on the B. So positioning on the shorter platforms has got to be operationally old hat for the operators, and I'm sure they get trained on it. Just because fleet shortages and interminable platform construction have made it a rare sight the last few years doesn't mean this wasn't a fairly common (if intermittent) practice in the past.
F-line to Dudley via Park
 
Posts: 7111
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:26 pm
Location: North Cambridge

Re: 3 Car Green Line Train Discussion

Postby diburning » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:42 am

Mcoov wrote:They could stop so that the last door of the first car and first door of the last car are on the platform, while the middle car is at the platform. They'll need to extend station stops if this procedure is used, so as to let everyone out of the two cars that aren't fully at the platform.


Back when I used to live on the B-branch, they did not do this. The head car would stop at the usual spot, while the third car would open the doors letting people step out/off onto the ballast.
User avatar
diburning
 
Posts: 2964
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:37 pm
Location: Practicing safe CSX by using Three-Step Protection

Re: 3 Car Green Line Train Discussion

Postby MBTA3247 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:30 am

diburning wrote:The head car would stop at the usual spot, while the third car would open the doors letting people step out/off onto the ballast.

I understand that that's essentially what they've been doing at BC, but substitute Comm Ave for ballast. I'm sure the autos appreciate that. :P
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
User avatar
MBTA3247
 
Posts: 2594
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:01 pm
Location: Milton

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests