Silver Line Thread/Tracker

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Postby sabourinj » Sat May 27, 2006 7:19 pm

Union Park outbound station relocated.

So without any warning (short of a hand written sign duct taped under the LED sign at the old station) the MBTA has moved this station a block or so farther down Washington Street. I was quite suprised when the driver wouldn't let me off today, although she pleasantly explained that the stop was moved.

Question is why a hand written sign and no flyers on the bus, no announcements on the LED signs before it happened (since static messages are all that seem to work on them anyways).

JS
sabourinj

Postby savebowdoin » Sat May 27, 2006 9:26 pm

Quite bizarre... Have they installed a new stop, or do they plan on moving all of the equipment (shelter, signs, etc.) from the old to the new?

The handwritten sign is just priceless, classic MBTA! lol

Mike
savebowdoin

Postby sabourinj » Sun May 28, 2006 9:21 am

savebowdoin wrote:Quite bizarre... Have they installed a new stop, or do they plan on moving all of the equipment (shelter, signs, etc.) from the old to the new?

The handwritten sign is just priceless, classic MBTA! lol

Mike

They moved the overhead "shelter" but nothing else. So there is currently a stop with seats that they won't let you off at, and a stop further down with a roped off shelter that you can't wait under.

There is a printed sign there now on a self standing board, but there was someone sitting right next to it waiting for the bus :-D

Maybe this time they'll put the police call box near the shelter instead of in the middle of nowhere?

JS
sabourinj

Postby sabourinj » Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:21 pm

Well they are testing the bus arival messages again on the silver line, as promised. The Union Park inbound station shows an estimated time till arrival, along with a message that the arrival messages are in testing.

JS
sabourinj

Postby sabourinj » Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:09 am

sabourinj wrote:Well they are testing the bus arival messages again on the silver line, as promised. The Union Park inbound station shows an estimated time till arrival, along with a message that the arrival messages are in testing.

JS

Arrival messages seem to be working fairly well, yesterday it actually counted down and said arriving as the bus rounded the corner to Union Park station.

JS
sabourinj

Postby number1tfan » Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:46 am

According to NeTransit, 1112 is out of service at Everett (misspelled Evewrett) for an accident repair.
Bring double deckers to the north side!
number1tfan

Postby Ron Newman » Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:50 am

Anyone know if the Silver Line is still running to and from the airport, after last night's ceiling collapse in the Ted Williams Tunnel?
Ron Newman

Postby Robert Paniagua » Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:15 am

According to MBTA.com, it's still running but with delays. I assume they may be using the Callaghan and Sumner Tunnels to get in/out of Logan Airport.
~Robert Paniagua
Moderator: WMATA :: General Railroad Operations
Robert Paniagua

Postby savebowdoin » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:12 am

All other MBTA buses that regularly use the TWT are being rerouted through the Callahan/Sumner Tunnels, so I am assuming this will be the same route for the Silver Line. The line is currently running every 20 minutes (or more) instead of every 10.

T officials are urging people to utilize the Blue Line rather than the Silver, and have added extra trains to the Blue Line.

Silver Line Washington Street is also experiencing delays due to downtown traffic.

More updates will follow.

Mike
savebowdoin

Postby savebowdoin » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:16 am

Late update according to CBS4 News:

Silver Line Airport buses are utilizing an emergency access tunnel to the Ted Williams Tunnel, circumventing the accident area. So they are still running through the TWT, (and I imagine they have it all to themselves?) albeit with delays from surface congestion.

EDIT:

Buses are exclusively utilizing an emergency access tunnel, regulated by Massport to one bus per 20 minutes through the tunnel, thus the 20-minute headway.

More as it comes!

Mike
savebowdoin

Postby CJ » Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:22 pm

I wonder what 'emergency tunnel' they are using, the only openings big enough to get a SL bus through them would be either the HOV lane, or that ramp that comes down by the CA/T OCC. Any Ideas?
CJ

Postby Leo Sullivan » Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:48 pm

The outbound Silver Line is using the emergency access ramp on the outbound side of the open cut between the 'accident' tunnel and the Ted Williams almost opposite Silver Line Way. It turns out to be quite adequate for the artics, wider and more easily curved than the turnaround beyond So. Sta. The grade though steep is no worse than many others on the system and the merge appears reasonable, particularly for an all professional driver outfit. The empty tunnel is quite a strange experience. There is a little congestion inbound but not as bad as it could be. media coverage has cut use to almost the right level for remaining capacity. Cooperation and common sense have made this particular emergency almost painless for the Silver Line and passengers.
LS
Leo Sullivan

Postby ckb » Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:58 pm

I wonder if a "Silver Lining" (sorry, couldn't help myself) of this whole debacle could be a permanent use of this access ramp?
ckb

Postby savebowdoin » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:48 pm

Okay, I rode the Silver Line out to the Airport and back today, and overall it was smooth and easy.

Outbound, it was eerie having the tunnel all to ourselves, but it made the trip as fast as I've ever seen. That emergency onramp easily shaved 5 minutes off the trip, it was almost surreal how quickly we were out of SL Way and in the TWT. I truly wish the SL could use this ramp all the time!!! The normal back and forth nonsense is so agonizing, especially when you hit every light on red when there is no traffic around!

Coming back, traffic in the TWT was jammed at the mouth due to the eventual merging into one lane, but once everyone merged it was fairly smooth sailing. Didn't seem like the folks coming in to the city from Logan were aware of the tunnel accident, which I guess is good for Boston's national image, but they found out thru newspapers and onboard conversation.

LED signs at Courthouse and WTC warned of delays on airport service, but not at South Station when I was there.

Overall a smooth trip given the circumstances.

Mike
savebowdoin

Postby AgentSkelly » Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:21 pm

I took the Sliver Line to my hotel, the Logan Hilton last weekend and I was very impressed with the Silver Line.

The Air Conditioning was perfect. When the bus switched to Diesel, I barely noticed the temperature drop between the engine restart.
AgentSkelly

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)