Disabled Green Line Train - How is it handled

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Disabled Green Line Train - How is it handled

Postby jumbotusk » Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:43 am

So this morning's commute stunk because we held at Kenmore for 25 minutes while they dealt with a disabled train between Kenmore and Hynes.

What exactly does disabled train mean? It can't move? It can, but an alarm goes off? The doors wont close? The doors wont open?

I imagine its where the train simply breaks down. How does the T deal with and repond to such incidents. Do they fix it on the spot? Tow it? Where? Theres no real place to stash broken trains except the Kenmore loop or the holding track between Boylston and Arlington.

How is this handled and how often does this happen? How long til service is back to normal?

I spent more time waiting for trains or stuck on trains than actually moving. Anyone think Brian Dwyer would refund my monthly T pass? I deserve better! So do you!
jumbotusk

Re: Disabled Green Line Train - How is it handled

Postby Ron Newman » Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:45 am

jumbotusk wrote:Anyone think Brian Dwyer would refund my monthly T pass?

No, but if you file a service report, they'll send you two free tokens which you can sell to someone else.
Ron Newman

Postby octr202 » Wed Oct 27, 2004 1:25 pm

How fast it gets moved depends on the problem -- it could be quick or not.

Typically, they'll use the next train behind it to push it to the first available side track. This requires dumping the passengers off of two trains (the disabled, and the "tow truck" train). How fast this is accomplished depends on numberous factors, including, but not limited to:
-How close the next train is.
-The severity of the failure (i.e., has the car(s) just lost power, or are there door, brake, articulation, etc. problems that render it immovable until mechanical people attend to it).
-How long it takes inspectors and supervisors to respond to the location to direct the pushing/pulling operation.

Green Line trolleys (at least the Boeings and Type 7's) are more than capable of pushing or pulling other trolleys. I don't know if they've yet tried to tow a dead car with a Type 8, but I'm sure they were at least designed to be capable of it.
Wondering if I'll see the Haverhill double-tracking finished before I retire...
Photo: Melbourne W7 No. 1019 on Route 78, Bridge & Church Streets, Richmond, Victoria. 10/21/2010
octr202

Location: In the land of the once and future 73 trackless trolley.

Postby AEM7AC920 » Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:44 pm

octr202 Yes they have sent a breda to the rescue beofre I remeber in a older topic someone posted pics of the Breda pushing or pulling the Boeing LRV.
AMTRAK HAWK DETECTOR TRACK 1 NOOO DEFECTS OUT!
AEM7AC920

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)