Old Loop Tunnel at South Station

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Postby 3rdrail » Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:14 pm

The connector could be built on street level with storage and maintenance at the "Seaport" area.
~Paul Joyce~
[i]Moderator: Toy Trains, Model Railroading, Outdoor and Live Steam

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Postby paulrail » Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:19 pm

Hey, that's right! It could run at grade right through the Rose Kennedy Greenway! Great idea! :-)
paulrail

Postby Arborway » Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:38 pm

paulrail wrote:Hey, that's right! It could run at grade right through the Rose Kennedy Greenway! Great idea! :-)

I know you're probably joking, but that's a great idea.

I'm a (non-rabid) environmentalist who curses the loss of every tree in the metro area, but the Greenway has turned into a debacle. The damn thing isn't deep enough to plant what they planned to, and the result is a terrible mess of empty grass and tiny saplings that will never be able to grow much beyond their current size.

It's bottom-of-the-barrel subdivision-esque landscaping at best, and it doesn't do much to help the ambiance of the city.

Now, if you want to turn the Arboretum into a rail yard, then we're going to have an...issue. ;)
Arborway

Postby sery2831 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:44 pm

The discussion about the 'North-South Rail Link' is here:

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 2&start=45

Lets continue the Loop conversation here...
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

Re: Old loop tunnel at South Station

Postby ThinkBoston » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:14 pm

The last reference to the space directly under the current South Station headhouse (and by that I want to make sure we mean the large indoor waiting area) indicated that it was being used for offices and storage. I'm wondering about the Silver Line bus loop; where is the bus loop tunnel located?

If the Silver Line platforms are perpendicular to the Red Line platforms, and thus the Silver Line comes in from the north, drops off passengers on one platform and then loops and returns heading north stopping at an opposite platform for pickup. How far do the buses go when they loop, how large is the loop, and does the bus loop consume the space below the headhouse?
ThinkBoston

Postby theseaandalifesaver » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:30 am

Was the loop ever used?
theseaandalifesaver

Postby TomNelligan » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:09 am

Was the loop ever used?

No. See my notes and the posting from Mr. Cutler on the previous page.
TomNelligan

Re: Old Loop Tunnel at South Station

Postby Gerry6309 » Tue May 15, 2012 4:12 pm

Please remember that the Big Dig Tunnel reaches its lowest point at South Station, where the northbound lanes dive below the Red Line. The southbound lanes here are just below the surface and interrupt the upper level of the two-level subway Tunnel north of South Station. At Aquarium the highway lies just above the Blue Line. There are also ramps leading over/under the main tunnel near North St. Thus any rail link tunnel would probably have to stay at a very low level for most of its length, including the South Station area. That means long approaches and poor access to any platforms constructed. If we built such a tunnel, it could be best used for trains bypassing Boston completely! The pols would never want that.
Gerry. STM/BSRA

The next stop is Washington. Change for Forest Hills Trains on the Winter St. Platform, and Everett Trains on the Summer St. Platform. This is an Ashmont train, change for Braintree at Columbia.
Gerry6309

Previous

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)