World Series Extras / Symphony "Charter" Trains

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

World Series Extras / Symphony "Charter" Trains

Postby trigonalmayhem » Mon Oct 25, 2004 3:59 am

So this weekend in Boston I noticed that they were running additional trains to Worcester after the first two world series games (30m after last out of the game). Why are they doing this now, but not for the playoffs?
Does it have something to do with less traffic on the line from CSX during weekends?

Also, I heard an announcement in South Station about a 'special symphony charter train' while I waited for my train on Sunday (around 3:30-4:00). Does anyone know what that was all about? It wasn't on the sign board (I'm sure they don't have a listing for that, but not even as a blank destination).
Do they do special trains for things very often? I only ever knew of the Patriots trains and the halloween trains to Salem.
trigonalmayhem

Re: World Series Extras / Symphony "Charter" Train

Postby efin98 » Mon Oct 25, 2004 4:20 am

trigonalmayhem wrote:So this weekend in Boston I noticed that they were running additional trains to Worcester after the first two world series games (30m after last out of the game). Why are they doing this now, but not for the playoffs?
Does it have something to do with less traffic on the line from CSX during weekends?

I hate to break it to you, but the Sox are still in the playoffs. Ok it's the big series, but still the playoffs :wink:)

Could CSX have found an open slot for the trainor maybe have an agreement with the T or a third party to allow the World Series extra? It's a benefit to fans from Central Mass and Metro West, glad they can take the train to the game like those who live close to the Green, Red, Blue, Orange, and bus lines...
efin98

Postby Robert Paniagua » Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:26 am

Well, there are also the shuttle buses that the MBTA has offered to other riders from Fenway Park to Ruggles Orange Line and Commuter stop. I hope they still have that service, especially that Ruggles has a commuter platform, although that would only work for Franklin and Providence trains.
~Robert Paniagua
Moderator: WMATA :: General Railroad Operations
Robert Paniagua

Postby CSX Conductor » Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:51 am

There was also a shortage of hotel rooms in the greater Boston area this weekend due to the Head of the Charles Regatta, which may cause a slightly higher ridership toward the west.
CSX Conductor

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)