Snowplows outside BET

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Snowplows outside BET

Postby Rockingham Racer » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:52 pm

A couple of weeks ago when passing by BET I spotted 3 or 4 snow plows, coupled together, on the south end. Could someone tell us what the disposition of these is?
Rockingham Racer

Re: Snowplows outside BET

Postby RedLantern » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:10 pm

They're kept on hand for when a snow storm dumps so much snow that none of their other equipment can handle clearing the tracks. Usually they just use the plows on the locomotives, but every now and then there's a big one. IIRC, two are the "wedge" (for single track) style, and the other two are the "single blade" (for double track) style.
Trains aren't dangerous, it's lack of common sense that's dangerous.
RedLantern

Postby diburning » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:25 am

I was told that the single track style plows have never been used since the MBTA bought them. They still have friction bearing trucks.
diburning

Postby bmcdr » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:06 pm

Rockingham Racer wrote:A couple of weeks ago when passing by BET I spotted 3 or 4 snow plows, coupled together, on the south end. Could someone tell us what the disposition of these is?

I don't understand what you mean by "disposition". Disposition means that they were disposed of, if you mean, what is their ancestry, the two smaller plows adjacent to the building are former CANADIAN NATIONAL and were built in 1932. The two larger plows are former BOSTON & MAINE and were built in 1942 and 1949, we use these at least once a year when the snow gets really deep.
David Hutchinson
bmcdr

Postby Rockingham Racer » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:04 pm

bmcdr wrote:
Rockingham Racer wrote:A couple of weeks ago when passing by BET I spotted 3 or 4 snow plows, coupled together, on the south end. Could someone tell us what the disposition of these is?

I don't understand what you mean by "disposition". Disposition means that they were disposed of, if you mean, what is their ancestry, the two smaller plows adjacent to the building are former CANADIAN NATIONAL and were built in 1932. The two larger plows are former BOSTON & MAINE and were built in 1942 and 1949, we use these at least once a year when the snow gets really deep.

Thanks for the background info. By "disposition" I was thinking: what is going to happen to them. Probably not the best choice of terms! In any case, I asked the question because even though I don't pass by there very often, I don't believe I've noticed snowplows sitting there. Was I having a senior moment, or are those things always parked there [except when plowing snow, of course]?
Rockingham Racer

Postby Mcoov » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:57 pm

I've seen them every time I pass by BET.
Mcoov

Postby Hoopyfrood » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:27 pm

They moved two of them from a siding to their current location... 2 years ago maybe? They don't move much and they have been in their current "home spot" for a while now. :-)
Hoopyfrood

Postby sery2831 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:17 pm

If you pass by there during the day trains are parked outside the doors of BET, so they may have blocked your view of them in the past. The branch line plows have been there for years. The main line plows get randomly move around sometimes, especially in the fall.
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

Postby GP40MC1118 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:49 pm

The two ex-B&M Russell Plows are in service and get tapped for use - 2742 & 2746. The other two ex-CN
plows are not in service and a bit of a bust.

Dave
GP40MC1118

Postby Adams_Umass_Boston » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:39 pm

Are the worthy of selling or a donation?
Adams_Umass_Boston

Postby Stephen » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:56 pm

GP40MC1118 wrote:The two ex-B&M Russell Plows are in service and get tapped for use - 2742 & 2746. The other two ex-CN
plows are not in service and a bit of a bust.

Dave

It is too bad they can't arrange a swap with someone for something more useful. A two for one trade for another double track plow or for other needed MOW items??

Stephen
Stephen

Postby Tracer » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:05 pm

Any chance we will see a plow out this weekend?
Tracer

Postby AEM7AC920 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:52 pm

Id say that depends on how much snow we actually get so kinda hard to tell unless the weathermen are on tact with Mother Nature.
AMTRAK HAWK DETECTOR TRACK 1 NOOO DEFECTS OUT!
AEM7AC920

Postby BostonUrbEx » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:03 am

There's going to be snowfall rates of 3-5", which is classified by the NWS as "impossible to drive in". So I'd say its likely the plows will be brought out during/soon after we hit that period. Which should be from I think 3pm to 9pm?
BostonUrbEx

Postby butts260 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:54 am

Rockingham Racer wrote:
bmcdr wrote:

Thanks for the background info. By "disposition" I was thinking: what is going to happen to them. Probably not the best choice of terms! In any case, I asked the question because even though I don't pass by there very often, I don't believe I've noticed snowplows sitting there. Was I having a senior moment, or are those things always parked there [except when plowing snow, of course]?

You are both correct in the usage of "disposition" . . . according to the online Oxford English Dictionary; which gives in its first definition bmcdr's use and in its second Racer's use (which seems to me more common in the US).
butts260

Next

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)