Red line runs on ATO?

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Red line runs on ATO?

Postby ctaman34 » Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:02 pm

Could someone explain to me since when does the Red Line run on ATO? I thought it was controlled by the operator.
ctaman34

Postby MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 » Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:30 pm

ato?
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Postby Robert Paniagua » Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:36 pm

ATO means "automatic train operation", in which even though the motorperson actually moves the train, its speed and other things are controlled by the Central Command Center in downtown.

However, I feel that such ATO on the Red line should be eliminated, because of the many screw ups it has caused on the Red Line, and just switch to general yellow/red signal, and the motorperson can even go any speed they desire, as slow as 6MPH to as fast as 75 mph. The latter could work especially on the South Shore/Quincy-Braintree Extension (Braintree Red Line), and even some long tunnel stretches too, we could use 63 MPH speed as well, all without the hassle of the Automatic Train Operation.
~Robert Paniagua
Moderator: WMATA :: General Railroad Operations
Robert Paniagua

Re: Red line runs on ATO?

Postby AEM7AC920 » Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:00 pm

ctaman34 wrote:Could someone explain to me since when does the Red Line run on ATO? I thought it was controlled by the operator.

All of the trains are still ran by an operator it's just different when running a 01800 from the rest of the fleet. In the 01800's all you have to do is stop the train in the station. When running they automatically stay 1 mph under the speed even if the speed changes they automatically brake without the motorman taking any operation. I think the only times the motorman has to take any action is stopping in the station and taking off.
AMTRAK HAWK DETECTOR TRACK 1 NOOO DEFECTS OUT!
AEM7AC920

Postby fm535 » Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:01 pm

Amen, Rob!!!!!
fm535

Re: Red line runs on ATO?

Postby ctaman34 » Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:20 pm

AEM7AC920 wrote:
ctaman34 wrote:Could someone explain to me since when does the Red Line run on ATO? I thought it was controlled by the operator.

All of the trains are still ran by an operator it's just different when running a 01800 from the rest of the fleet. In the 01800's all you have to do is stop the train in the station. When running they automatically stay 1 mph under the speed even if the speed changes they automatically brake without the motorman taking any operation. I think the only times the motorman has to take any action is stopping in the station and taking off.

are the 01500's 01600's 01700's controlled by ato or by manual t/o operation
ctaman34

Postby fm535 » Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:02 pm

ATO, and the relay box is what blocks the window on the left side of the car!
fm535

Postby AEM7AC920 » Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:22 pm

fm535 wrote:ATO, and the relay box is what blocks the window on the left side of the car!

The thing that we all hate! :P
AMTRAK HAWK DETECTOR TRACK 1 NOOO DEFECTS OUT!
AEM7AC920

Postby efin98 » Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:26 pm

I thought it was cab signaling and NOT ATO that the Red Line had? ATO signifies that the train is automatically controled by the computer, cab signalling means that the signals set the conditions for the train but the train is still run by the motorperson. Unless the T has become like the WMATA, the T doesn't have ATO.
efin98

Postby StevieC48 » Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:44 pm

01500-01800's all run with ATO which controls the speed of the train by the OCC. The motorperson are resposniable for starting and stopping the train and to operate the train if the ATO fails with manual blocking.
Farewell old friend thanks for the memories.
#4 EBT cars Hawker Siddley 1978-2009

Instructor/Inspector SERY
Member 25 years proud
StevieC48

Postby Robert Paniagua » Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:21 am

Yeah, that's right, but as I said in my previous post here, that ATO you are talking about should be eliminated and abolished to allow for greater speed flexibility.

Just run the Red Line like the Blue Line, in other words.
~Robert Paniagua
Moderator: WMATA :: General Railroad Operations
Robert Paniagua

Postby Diverging Route » Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:50 am

It's usually called Automatic Speed Control (ASC) in the industry. As implementated at the MBTA, "code" in the rails is read by the train's unit, limiting the maximum speed, no matter what position the controller handle is in. The train operator still brakes the train at stations and for reasons other than those automatically managed by the system.

As previously posted, true "ATO" is as implemented on systems such as BART and WMATA, whereby the train is operated entirely by automation, except for closing the doors.

On some international systems, such as Singapore's Northeast line, ATO is taken a step further: the doors close automatically as well (and people are well-behaved not to hold them). There is an employee on board, but (s)he roams the train. This is not very different from the way from many US-based airport people-movers.
Diverging Route

Postby efin98 » Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:17 pm

Diverging Route wrote:It's usually called Automatic Speed Control (ASC) in the industry. As implementated at the MBTA, "code" in the rails is read by the train's unit, limiting the maximum speed, no matter what position the controller handle is in. The train operator still brakes the train at stations and for reasons other than those automatically managed by the system.

As previously posted, true "ATO" is as implemented on systems such as BART and WMATA, whereby the train is operated entirely by automation, except for closing the doors.

On some international systems, such as Singapore's Northeast line, ATO is taken a step further: the doors close automatically as well (and people are well-behaved not to hold them). There is an employee on board, but (s)he roams the train. This is not very different from the way from many US-based airport people-movers.

Thank you for proving the information I lacked to back up my claim.
BTW you can add the London Docklands Light Rail line to the ATO systems as well.
efin98

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)