T service after Sox Game 4

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

T service after Sox Game 4

Postby jumbotusk » Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:38 am

So Sox game 4 ended at 1:30am. Why didn't the T stay open and running? How did 35,000 people get home?

How does it work with the T to stay open late for special events?
jumbotusk

Postby Robert Paniagua » Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:46 am

I know, I agree with you, they should be open till 3AM to accomodate its fan, Mr. JumboTusk.

I feel very sorry for the Sox Fans who had to cram a taxi which is VERY expensive to get them home, or at least to their cars at the T stations.
~Robert Paniagua
Moderator: WMATA :: General Railroad Operations
Robert Paniagua

Postby CRail » Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:03 am

jumbo has a point. many people get to the game with the T. They should run a few trolleys after the game ends or something.

But the fact is they dont, and they're not going to
Moderator: Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority
Avatar:3679A (since wrecked)/3623B (now in service as 3636B).
CRail

Postby Robert Paniagua » Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:04 am

I know, I agree, they should have run trolleys, and Red Line trains too, since most of the Fans come from the South Shore Are and the inner North Shore Area.
~Robert Paniagua
Robert Paniagua

No cabs

Postby jumbotusk » Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:40 am

There were so few cabs around it was nearly impossible to get one... I ended up walking home after I was turned down for a ride when I asked Jeter.
jumbotusk

Postby BC Eagle » Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:44 am

Has there been confirmation that the T actually closed before the game had ended at 1:30? From personal experience in the past, the T has stayed open past the 1am closing time in cases such as these.

Robert Paniagua wrote:I know, I agree, they should have run trolleys, and Red Line trains too, since most of the Fans come from the South Shore Are and the inner North Shore Area.

That's not really accurate, there's no way to define where most Red Sox fans come from around the Boston area. You would have to keep all subway service open. I've taken both the Blue Line and Orange Line into town for the Sox many times. The parking lots at Wonderland and Oak Grove are usually near, or at capacity, and the trains are usually packed both commuting to and from the games.
BC Eagle

Postby Robert Paniagua » Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:45 am

There were so few cabs around it was nearly impossible to get one... I ended up walking home after I was turned down for a ride when I asked Jeter.

Oh no, that's even worse than I first thought.

And yes, did you REALLY asked for a ride from Yankees #2????? :-D
~Robert Paniagua
Robert Paniagua

Postby jumbotusk » Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:49 am

Code: Select all
Has there been confirmation that the T actually closed before the game had ended at 1:30?

Yes, I waited for a long time along with many others and no trains came.

Jeter wasn't in a good mood after they lost, so it was doubtful I'd get a ride.

The most annoying thing was they should have made an announcement at Fenway after the game about the state (or lack thereof) of T service.
jumbotusk

Postby Robert Paniagua » Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:53 am

Jeter wasn't in a good mood after they lost, so it was doubtful I'd get a ride.

Yeah I bet so.........especially our enemy.

The most annoying thing was they should have made an announcement at Fenway after the game about the state (or lack thereof) of T service.

Yes, for that, you're right. The Sox should have made an announcement the MBTA train service would be closed after the game ended. I don't understand why they kept the public in the dark about it. This is not good public relations with the Red Sox management, and also MBTA Management either.
~Robert Paniagua
Robert Paniagua

Postby MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 » Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:27 pm

the MBTA did make an announcement and they said there was NO extra service for the game. The trains stop running on Sunday night by like 12:30, or whenever the last train leaves South Station. there is another topic in the MBTA forum of why the T didn't provide extra service for the game
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Postby Ron Newman » Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:28 pm

Not providing extra commuter rail service is one thing, but there's no excuse for not keeping the Green Line running until the game ended.

If by some miracle we get into the World Series will the T do the same thing then?
Ron Newman

Postby Robert Paniagua » Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:30 pm

the MBTA did make an announcement and they said there was NO extra service for the game. The trains stop running on Sunday night by like 12:30, or whenever the last train leaves South Station. there is another topic in the MBTA forum of why the T didn't provide extra service for the game

Oh they did? Well, then most of the other people probably weren't paying attention to the messages provided by Fenway Park, I don't know for sure, I wasn't there.
~Robert Paniagua
Robert Paniagua

Postby caduceus » Mon Oct 18, 2004 2:47 pm

Well, just to plays Devil's Advocate: how can the T schedule around the _possibility_ of a game running late, for game that that wasn't played at the time it was originally scheduled, and wasn't even certain would be played until the day before?

You ever try and ask a whole lot of union employees, "Hey, the game is running late - can you stick around and work for a few extra hours?"

Now, whether the T should even _close_ is a whole nuther ball of bearings...
First law of public transportation: You can never be early, but you can always be late.
caduceus

Postby Ron Newman » Mon Oct 18, 2004 2:54 pm

Yesterday was Game 4, that was going to be played no matter what.
Ron Newman

Postby caduceus » Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:02 pm

I did screwed up what I typed - I meant "two nights before".
First law of public transportation: You can never be early, but you can always be late.
caduceus

Next

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)