Quiet Zones on Commuter Rail

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: Quiet Zones on Commuter Rail

Postby AEM7AC920 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:24 am

jwhite07 wrote:
There are no crossings east of Natick on the B&A yet MBTA and CSX routinely blow their whistles, especially the CSX freight. I've always wondered about that--what's the point?

I was told it's a CSX rule - one short toot approaching or passing all passenger stations. They blow for all of the crossings (5 of them) out to Worcester too.

One short toot approach all stations is a CSX rule, I guess I did pay attention in class. :wink:
AMTRAK HAWK DETECTOR TRACK 1 NOOO DEFECTS OUT!
AEM7AC920

Postby davidp » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:06 pm

Quiet zones are established at local option. However recent FRA regulations require fairly expensive safety upgrades to crossings. The issue was considered in Boxborough a couple of years ago, but there wasn't support in town meeting for the expenditure that would have been required to turn our two crossings into quiet zones. I believe all communities east of Boxborough on the Fitchburg line have quiet zones, and several have recently added center islands to crosings in order to maintain the zones. Rte 117 in Lincoln and Belknap St. in Concord are a couple of examples.
Dave
davidp

Postby Mcoov » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:44 pm

davidp wrote:Quiet zones are established at local option. However recent FRA regulations require fairly expensive safety upgrades to crossings. The issue was considered in Boxborough a couple of years ago, but there wasn't support in town meeting for the expenditure that would have been required to turn our two crossings into quiet zones. I believe all communities east of Boxborough on the Fitchburg line have quiet zones, and several have recently added center islands to crosings in order to maintain the zones. Rte 117 in Lincoln and Belknap St. in Concord are a couple of examples.

There is one spot in Waltham where the whistle is blown, but east of the Boxborough/Acton border, it's all quiet. As for center islands, the only one I can think of is on Baker Ave., besides the ones already mentioned.
Mcoov

Postby mbta1051dan » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:41 pm

Mcoov wrote:There is one spot in Waltham where the whistle is blown, but east of the Boxborough/Acton border, it's all quiet. As for center islands, the only one I can think of is on Baker Ave., besides the ones already mentioned.

Where in Waltham? Last I checked the Fitchburg was all quiet east of Boxborough unless I'm missing something...
MBTA 1051
mbta1051dan

Postby sery2831 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:58 am

Waltham is all quiet.
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

Postby Mcoov » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:09 pm

The spot is somewhere in between Brandeis/Roberts, and Waverly, and it's near an office building. Oddly enough, there is no railroad crossing, they just blow the horn for something.
Mcoov

Postby sery2831 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:43 pm

That must be someone blowing for a trespasser or someone doing track work. That's all quiet there.
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

Postby diburning » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:51 am

Departing Brandeis on train 421, I saw a guy with an MBCR vest standing at the crossing holding up a big red sign with a W on it. I am assuming that it's a whistle sign (like a portable whistle post) because we blew the horn there. I'm unsure of whether Brandeis is a quiet zone or not although I seem to recall that it is. I didn't see any signs of work being done there, so I don't know why there would be a guy there making trains blow their horns.
diburning

Postby AEM7AC920 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:15 pm

There is work being done around south st so trains are required to sound a long and a short for the guys holding the portable whistle signs. That takes priority over the quiet zone.
AMTRAK HAWK DETECTOR TRACK 1 NOOO DEFECTS OUT!
AEM7AC920

Postby Rbts Stn » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:45 pm

I've heard plenty of trains blowing their whistles yesterday and today. Just like usual. There were some extra toots last week, when workmen were preparing for the project. There was still some heavy equipment nearby yesterday (didn't look for it today), so maybe some final cleanup still getting done.
Rbts Stn

Previous

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)