Quiet Zones on Commuter Rail

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Quiet Zones on Commuter Rail

Postby livesteamer » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:36 am

I was aware that the Greenbush line is designated a "quiet zone" and recently I took a ride out to Rockport--I was not aware that the Rockport line was also a quiet zone. What other MBTA lines are designated "quiet zones"?
Marty Harrison
MP 208.1 on the UP's Sedalia Sub
livesteamer

Re: Quiet Zones on Commuter Rail

Postby octr202 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:05 pm

The whole Western Route/Haverhill Line except for Lawrence is quiet. Wakefield has been installing center median dividers at several crossings.

On the Lowell line, the three (I think that's it) public crossings are all quiet.

Fitchburg is quiet at least as far out as Lincoln. Not very familiar with it beyond there.
Wondering if I'll see the Haverhill double-tracking finished before I retire...
Photo: Melbourne W7 No. 1019 on Route 78, Bridge & Church Streets, Richmond, Victoria. 10/21/2010
octr202

Location: In the land of the once and future 73 trackless trolley.

Postby CRail » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:26 pm

Lowell has 4, which are all quiet.

Quiet zones aren't designated by line, they generally go by community. When the NIMBYs gripe about a certain crossing or group of crossings, those crossings become quiet.
Moderator: Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority
Avatar:3679A (since wrecked)/3623B (now in service as 3636B).
CRail

Postby jonnhrr » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:12 pm

octr202 wrote:The whole Western Route/Haverhill Line except for Lawrence is quiet. Wakefield has been installing center median dividers at several crossings.

On the Lowell line, the three (I think that's it) public crossings are all quiet.

Fitchburg is quiet at least as far out as Lincoln. Not very familiar with it beyond there.

Acton is quiet also.

Jon
Avatar Photo - P&W local from Gardner to Worcester at Morgan Rd., Hubbardston
jonnhrr

Postby AEM7AC920 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:34 pm

This topic should actually be reversed into crossings where whistle is sounded, I would say at least half the crossings on the whole system are quiet.
AMTRAK HAWK DETECTOR TRACK 1 NOOO DEFECTS OUT!
AEM7AC920

Postby CSX Conductor » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:19 am

CRail wrote:Lowell has 4, which are all quiet.

Quiet zones aren't designated by line, they generally go by community. When the NIMBYs gripe about a certain crossing or group of crossings, those crossings become quiet.

After bitching they have to fund for upgrades for the crossings to meet certain criteria before it can be designated a quiet zone. Correct?
CSX Conductor

Postby theseaandalifesaver » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:23 pm

I was surprised when I took the train into Boston from Bridgewater for the first time to hear the horn blown so much at crossings. Wasn't used to that on the commuter rail.
theseaandalifesaver

Postby TPR37777 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:02 pm

My understanding is, and correct me if I am wrong, that the MBTA as an interstate carrier is not bound by local ordinances or requests but does so in the interests of being a good neighbor? What about POS and and CSX, do they abide by these quiet zones or do they sound off for the crossings? Oh, I am sorry, I meant PAS.
TPR37777

Postby CSX Conductor » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:15 pm

After that teenager was struck on his bike at a crossing on the north side a few years ago(Gloucester or Beverly?) I've noticed many engineers blowing for crossings on North Side. I hear them blowing for Chelsea at 4th street often,
CSX Conductor

Postby AEM7AC920 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:27 pm

CSX on the eastern route Monsanto the private crossing after the bridge and 2nd steet are both whistle crossings in both directions per instruction.
AMTRAK HAWK DETECTOR TRACK 1 NOOO DEFECTS OUT!
AEM7AC920

Postby ags » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:00 am

There are no crossings east of Natick on the B&A yet MBTA and CSX routinely blow their whistles, especially the CSX freight. I've always wondered about that--what's the point?
ags

Postby obienick » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:45 pm

How can the crossings in Willmington be quiet? I thought the regulations required quad-gates or center medians. Certainly the Rte. 62 crossings have neither.
obienick

Postby livesteamer » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:48 pm

For the record, the commuter train that I recently rode on out to Rockport only used the horn for the crossings in the downtown Gloucester area and then the horn sounds were what I would call "light" taps as train wound through Gloucester.
Marty Harrison
MP 208.1 on the UP's Sedalia Sub
livesteamer

Postby sery2831 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:05 am

obienick wrote:How can the crossings in Willmington be quiet? I thought the regulations required quad-gates or center medians. Certainly the Rte. 62 crossings have neither.

There was some ruling passed where it made this true. We blew the horn almost everywhere. About a week later all the previous crossings that were silent once again became silent. I am guessing towns successfully got waivers until the requirements of the new rules were put in place. Wakefield is currently doing work on the crossings. Concord did work crossings last year.
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

Postby jwhite07 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:13 am

There are no crossings east of Natick on the B&A yet MBTA and CSX routinely blow their whistles, especially the CSX freight. I've always wondered about that--what's the point?

I was told it's a CSX rule - one short toot approaching or passing all passenger stations. They blow for all of the crossings (5 of them) out to Worcester too.
jwhite07

Next

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)