Most Scenic T Route

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Most Scenic T Route

Postby Mdlbigcat » Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:19 pm

In my previous visit to Boston, I managed to ride almost every rapid transit line in the T system [with the exception of C and E branches of the Green Line] and I feel that the Blue Line, and the surface portions of the Green Line have the best scenery [if you like urban settings like I do]. Which rapid-transit line has the BEST scenery? Which has the WORST scenery?

My selections are the D Riverside, and the Blue Line for the BEST scenery.
The WORST goes to the Orange Line.
69th St. Train Making All stops.......Doors are Closing!
Mdlbigcat

Postby Ron Newman » Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:56 pm

Most scenic electric heavy rail route: Red Line over the Longfellow Bridge
Most scenic light rail route: Ashmont-Mattapan Line
Most scenic commuter rail: Rockport Line (with Newburyport being a close runner-up)
Most scenic bus route: 51 (Forest Hills-Cleveland Circle) or 62 (Alewife-Bedford) or perhaps 76 (Alewife-Hanscom)
Last edited by Ron Newman on Sat Oct 09, 2004 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ron Newman

Postby apodino » Sat Oct 09, 2004 4:24 pm

Worst Scenery (Above ground of Course):

Heavy Rail: Orange Line south of Back Bay
Light Rail: E line
Commuter Rail: Fairmount Line
Bus Route: 44

Best Scenery (by Line)

Orange Line: Near Assembly Square between Sullivan and Wellington
Blue Line: Between Wood Island and Orient Heights
Red Line: Longfellow Bridge
Green Line: D Line past Chestnut Hill

Newburyport/Rockport: Pretty Much anything past Salem
Haverhill: See Orange Line, also bridge into Haverhill from Bradford
Lowell: Between Wilmington and North Billerica
Fitchburg: Near Littleton

Worcester: Between Southboro and Worcester is some nice scenery.
Needham: Between West Roxbury and Hersey, some nice sunsets can be seen
Franklin: Not a very scenic route but a nice area toward the end of the line at Forge Park
Attleboro: The Canton Viaduct
Stoughton: Most scenic part of trip is through Fowl Meadow, approaching 128
Fairmount: Nothing real scenic until near fairmount, when neponset river comes near row.
Middleboro: Nice ride from Bridgewater to Middleboro
Kingston: Near Whitman station, look for the round house display at end of platform
Rich "Dino" Martin
A one time happy rider of Arborway and the old Washington St. El.
apodino

Postby efin98 » Sat Oct 09, 2004 6:06 pm

The Blue Line has a few great highlights between Orient Heights and Suffolk Downs as it dips below grade, then rises running at-grade, then rises to the short viaduct/bridge, and finally dips at-grade again in a span of about a mile and a half.

The Orange Line between Assembly and Wellington is great, but beyond that it's not too scenic because of the industry and rail yard. Some people might not enjoy those too much(we railfans do of course).

The Red Line between JFK/UMass and North Quincy is good as well, it's a great ride over the Neponset River with changing scenery.

The Green Line earns it's name on the D Line, but the C Line isn't too bad either.

The Newburyport Line is great IMHO, but the other lines have their highlights that stand out. IIRC there are some great ponds on the Worcester Line, several large fields on the Lowell Line(IIRC there's are large one right at the junction with the branch to the Billerica Shops).
efin98

Most Scenic Lines

Postby Porter Sq » Sat Oct 09, 2004 8:05 pm

Orange-Between Sullivan SQ and Oak Grove
Blue-Between Airport and Orient Heights
Red-The Longfellow and Neponset bridges and going by the gas tank
Green-C line and D from Fenway-Riverside
Bus-#1 over the Mass Ave brdige and The 66 going by Harvard Stadium and into Harvard SQ

Lowell Line Threw Winchester Center and From Wilmington too Lowell Haverhill Line-By the lake in Reading I belive. I've only been on the line twice.

If the Lowell Line is expanded up to Nashua the views are pretty nicealong the Merrimack espacilly coming into the curve at the Tyngsboro bridge
Porter Sq

Postby Robert Paniagua » Sun Oct 10, 2004 11:11 am

My favourite scenery was, of course, one that no longer exists. That would be the Washington Street EL Orange line, although the Silver Lie plus the 42 bus make up for the lost Orange Line Trestle.
~Robert Paniagua
Moderator: WMATA :: General Railroad Operations
Robert Paniagua

Postby MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 » Sun Oct 10, 2004 12:30 pm

the scenry on the Attleboro line is nice, although this is the only line i know of the scenery
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Postby MickD » Sun Oct 10, 2004 4:11 pm

Robert.
I moved to Massachusetts from the NY Metro area not long after service on The Orange line stopped but I have ridden The Silver line.I'm wondering if that really compensates for the view into the various neighborhoods that the El passed through.My reason for mentioning this is
I was on my way out to Coney Island one day&while riding through Brooklyn I happened to think of all the vantage points that would be lost if the MTA ever did tear the Elevateds running out there down.

Mick D.
MickD

Postby CSX Conductor » Sun Oct 10, 2004 5:45 pm

MickD, the Orange Line El's view was nothing like the street-level view from the Silver Line, it was much more scenic than the ride to Coney Island on the N or Q lines also!!

:-)
CSX Conductor

Postby NRGeep » Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:01 pm

The woods and meadows in Lincoln are nice as well as the view of Walden Pond in Concord on the Fitchburg Line.
NRGeep

Postby NealG » Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:32 am

The Lawrence-Haverhill stretch along the Merrimack is quite scenic, this route is also shared by Amtak between Portland and Boston as well.
NealG

Postby MickD » Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:20 pm

CSX,you're right about the N&Q.I generally go via the F.Some great views
of Red Hook&S.Brooklyn. That's the one I was on when that came mind.
9th &Smith St.had a great view of the WTC and riding on that line you get a pretty good view into the vatious neighborhoods you pass through.
I imagine from looking at maps of the Orange it was much the same way.
Would've loved to been on the lead car coming into Dudley Sq or
Forest Hills.They both look interesting from photos.
MickD

Postby njt/mnrrbuff » Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:45 pm

One of these days, I just feel like spending a couple of days in Beantown riding as much as commuter rail as I could plus a trip out to Portland on the Downeaster with maybe a stop enroute. My family would go to Cape Cod many summers in a row when I was young. In fact, we went a couple of summers when I was in high school. Now, the next time we go, maybe, I will take my own vacation in Boston for a couple of days. Maybe devote most of the days for commuter rail and one day going to Maine. I will definately aim for the scenic routes(Rockport and Newburyport are my priorities). Is there any way by bus to get from the Cape to an MBTA station on the south shore? Going home, I would take Amtrak back to New jersey.
njt/mnrrbuff

Postby Robert Paniagua » Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:53 am

MickD, the Orange Line El's view was nothing like the street-level view from the Silver Line, it was much more scenic than the ride to Coney Island on the N or Q lines also!!

You're right, although the Old Orange line view is more like the new realigned D train and the F line, which are entirely abovegorund. I like the D line more, since it has multiple "Dudley Square" style curves, which I like. The D is my favourite of all along with a close second F.[/i]
~Robert Paniagua
Moderator: WMATA :: General Railroad Operations
Robert Paniagua

Postby octr202 » Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:37 am

F Line?? Did I fall asleep somewhere along the line and wake up in San Francisco? :wink:
Wondering if I'll see the Haverhill double-tracking finished before I retire...
Photo: Melbourne W7 No. 1019 on Route 78, Bridge & Church Streets, Richmond, Victoria. 10/21/2010
octr202

Location: In the land of the once and future 73 trackless trolley.

Next

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)