MBTA On Line Store Discussion

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: MBTA On Line Store Discussion

Postby BostonUrbEx » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:57 pm

Also, they seem to have a piece of a Boeing in the store. It was a square (relatively so) cut of a car number, 35## (forget numbers) on green. I *think* it was from a LRV, I didn't ask. It was pretty lightweight but certainly sturdy. It seemed to be made of some weird material that appeared fibre-like on the backside.
BostonUrbEx

Postby jr145 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:25 pm

Yeah they were down there a couple weeks ago getting parts out of the Boeings. I went in the shop last week and they had a front sign they were working on. I think I'm going to buy one once they finally put them up for sale. Not sure what they're waiting on.. but I'm anxious.
jr145

Postby jr145 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:49 pm

Just an FYI for those of you monitoring the ebay store for deals on signs, there's a new mbtagifts account that I stumbled on today.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/mbtagifts/m.htm ... 4340.l2562
jr145

Postby jwhite07 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:46 am

24k gold plated Christmas ornaments? I've got some nice sheet brass ornaments that look just as good and were a third of the price...
jwhite07

Postby 3rdrail » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:00 pm

Saw this on Ebay today. It's a Golden Globe headlight that looks to be in pretty decent shape, probably from a PA line. The seller says that it works. A nice masking & wet sandpapering with a few coats of Rustoleum would make this a great decoration for your wall for $39 !
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Trolley-car-Str ... 9953635467
~Paul Joyce~
[i]Moderator: Toy Trains, Model Railroading, Outdoor and Live Steam

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Postby WickedPissah » Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:42 pm

The MBTA gift store will be selling rollsigns we salvaged from the Boeings last year. Yes it can take a while to get these items decommissioned and signed off on. We'll also have new, never installed, Type 7 rollsigns take from Riverside. These should be listed within the next two weeks.

Earlier this week we salvaged memorabilia from the old blue line cars at Orient Heights. These items need to be cataloged before they can be sold, but include in the lot are Hawker builder plates, control handles, cab phones, map lenses, maps on awesome faux wood paneling, 1 pair of doors, route / car number boxes, seats and of course rollsigns. Below are some preview photos. Hopefully we can sell these soon!

For those who do not know, WardMaps runs the merchandise program for the MBTA. All authentic items (station signs, car parts, etc) are sold on behalf of the MBTA. A significant portion of the sale price is sent directly to the T. This won't single handedly fix their debt problem, but hey, everly little bit helps. We're just happy that this program exists and all this stuff can be salvaged before the scrapper gets it.

Oh yeah, toy green line trolley cars are now available!
Attachments
doors.jpg
Doors
doors.jpg (173.7 KiB) Viewed 1461 times
rollsigns.jpg
Rollsigns
rollsigns.jpg (265.08 KiB) Viewed 1461 times
loading.jpg
Loading the UHaul
loading.jpg (128.02 KiB) Viewed 1461 times
Brian Beaucher. Co-Owner WardMaps LLC, MBTAgifts and Boston Coasters
WickedPissah

Postby jr145 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:27 pm

Excellent job saving that stuff. Now you just need to get the front roll signs.
jr145

Postby CircusFreakGRITZ » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:28 pm

Wow, nice stuff. I look forward to seeing those go on sale. Hopefully I can snag something, maybe a rollsign.
CircusFreakGRITZ

Postby jr145 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:58 am

I went by the store on Wednesday and picked up a sign, they have lots of interesting ones that are worth checking out. Do not enter signs, T signal signs off of the green line, bus stop signs and quite a few others.
jr145

Postby shawnp » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:55 pm

I picked up one of the Green line rollsign fragments that Ward Maps has on mbtagifts.com to hang up in my office. Now I'm trying to figure out how to frame/hang it. It's an odd size (39'x21') and I hopefully can maybe backlight it somehow.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to hang a rollsign piece?

I found some custom frames online for about $85 (with shipping) and Ward Maps sells aluminum hanger bars for about $75. I'm considering seeing what a framing shop would cost. I'm not quite sure what to do. Advice?

Thanks....
shawnp

Postby 3rdrail » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:24 pm

Hi ! It's not difficult. Years ago, I picked up a San Francisco Muni rollsign at the former Pier 29, consisting of the complete roll and it's inside metal box with the rollers and crank. I made an exterior box with a glass window out of plywood and it came out pretty good. A lamp kit bought at the hardware store made it lit or not, whichever I please at the moment, and an allowance for the crank allows me to put it on any one of about twenty-five destinations. I would think that your setup would be even easier. I would think along terms of making sort of a plywood "shadow box" with enough depth to illuminate the sign from the rear. Don't forget to allow for plenty of air to circulate in and out for ventilation as otherwise, left on for a while it could be a fire hazard without it. Keep some distance between the bulb and the sign also. A couple of dowels would be great with your sign glued to them. Good luck ! If you need any suggestions, give me a holler !
(The two orbs above the "B" are just a reflection off the ceiling lamp.)
~Paul Joyce~

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Postby jr145 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:45 pm

Looks like the LRV rollsigns have made it up for sale, or at least one of them has:

http://www.mbtagifts.com/shop.php?p=1159
jr145

Postby SM89 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:25 am

I was just looking at the reproduction station signs. So many mistakes....

It should be "Malden Center" not "Malden"
Spelling mistake: Mishawm
No such station "Melrose"
It's signed "Airport Station", not "Airport"
And all of the commuter rail signs have the newer brighter purple even though most of them have the dark purple in real life.
I could go on...

If I were going to pay $300 for a sign, I'd want it to be realistic, though it does say you can customize, which would address most of these issues.
SM89

Postby 3rdrail » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:56 am

SM89 wrote:I was just looking at the reproduction station signs. So many mistakes....

It should be "Malden Center" not "Malden"
Spelling mistake: Mishawm
No such station "Melrose"
It's signed "Airport Station", not "Airport"
And all of the commuter rail signs have the newer brighter purple even though most of them have the dark purple in real life.
I could go on...

If I were going to pay $300 for a sign, I'd want it to be realistic, though it does say you can customize, which would address most of these issues.

Look at the $1,000 "Park St." sign that I believe to be a reproduction decoration, possibly from a former southern restaurant ! That style sign never was abbreviated at Park. (I have notified the owners months ago.)
~Paul Joyce~

3rdrail

Postby djlong » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:41 pm

Well, I like the iPhone case i got :)

Of course, living in NH, regular ground shipping was overnight to me.
djlong

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)