MBTA On Line Store Discussion

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

MBTA On Line Store Discussion

Postby 3rdrail » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:59 pm

~Paul Joyce~
[i]Moderator: Toy Trains, Model Railroading, Outdoor and Live Steam

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Re: Arlington Station Signs For Sale

Postby BostonUrbEx » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:29 pm

Ah, cool stuff! :-D A bit to expensive for an Arlington sign to me, though. :P

The other day I was looking at the signs in State and was thinking it would be cool to have a sign from the first and/or major stations. Park St and Boylston would be nice, North and South Stations, too. And of course the core stops, State, DTX, Gov Center. And Back Bay. :P

"They measure eight feet wide" Are they really? They don't seem so long when they're up on all on the walls. I wonder how heavy these things are.
BostonUrbEx

Postby 3rdrail » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:36 pm

BostonUrbEx wrote:Ah, cool stuff! A bit to expensive for an Arlington sign to me, though.

The other day I was looking at the signs in State and was thinking it would be cool to have a sign from the first and/or major stations. Park St and Boylston would be nice, North and South Stations, too. And of course the core stops, State, DTX, Gov Center. And Back Bay. :P

"They measure eight feet wide" Are they really? They don't seem so long when they're up on all on the walls. I wonder how heavy these things are.

Urby - We'd all be reduced to tears if you knew all the historical stuff that's gone into dumpsters and landfills over the years. Signs for Adams Square, Scollay Square, Forest Hills...the list goes on and on. Then there's the electrified stuff - the Dudley alternating "Subway" and "Atlantic" sign, the Park Street Berth Indicator....oh !!! I think that I'll go have a good cry ! :(
Those signs are hefty. They're more beefy than the reproduction RR logo stuff that you see in train shows.
~Paul Joyce~

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Postby Type7trolley » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:40 pm

wonder how heavy these things are.

I was told that these weigh 65 pounds each! :-D

I would love to find a Copley sign, since that's where I always get on. I guess now would be the time since they are renovating it, but it seems like these signs are very hard to find unless you know the right person. The T could probably make a lot of $$$ selling the old signage when they renovate stations.
Type7trolley

Postby BostonUrbEx » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:46 pm

3rdrail wrote:Urby - We'd all be reduced to tears if you knew all the historical stuff that's gone into dumpsters and landfills over the years.

That's why I didn't mention them. :( An Adams Sq or Scollay Sq sign would be amazing. :-) But unless they've been buried in some janitors closet all this time...... :(
BostonUrbEx

Postby djlong » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:12 pm

I stopped in there yesterday. They had a couple of pieces that looked more like 12' or so long (in the back) in addition to the 4-6' pieces they had in the front of the store.
djlong

Postby R36 Combine Coach » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:26 pm

Type7trolley wrote:
wonder how heavy these things are.

The T could probably make a lot of $$$ selling the old signage when they renovate stations.
In New York, the MTA sells old and recent signs removed during station renovations, on their web site and by phone.
Since my friend continues to chain smoke nonstop, she is probably an Alco.
R36 Combine Coach

Postby WickedPissah » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:42 am

New rollsigns have been added for sale as well.

Old Wonderland to Maverick before Blue Line:

Red Line side rollsign

Green Line Type 7 front rollsign

Details here:
http://wardmaps.com/info-store-urbantransit.php

More rollsigns will be coming soon, including old Boston bus rollsigns and a streetcar rollsign from the Braintree area.
Brian Beaucher. Co-Owner WardMaps LLC, MBTAgifts and Boston Coasters
WickedPissah

Re: MBTA On Line Store Discussion

Postby sery2831 » Tue May 31, 2011 11:09 pm

MBTA Gifts online is live!

http://www.mbtagifts.com/shop.php
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Tue May 31, 2011 11:38 pm

Wow. Check out all the old bolt-on metal wall spider maps they salvaged from station construction and are offering for sale. $750 and going outbound on the Arborway Line can be yours. $450 and you can ride the Fitchburg Line to Gardner.

Really like all the jewelery and accessories they made out of recycled subway tokens. Clever stuff.
F-line to Dudley via Park

Postby 3rdrail » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:25 am

As always, "caveat emptor" (let the buyer beware). Their stuff is pricey and I can see some questionable appearances and descriptions on their site. If any of you are considering a purchase and would like a second opinion, I'd be happy to oblige.

(They're selling MBTA cuff links for $90/pair. I just bought a MTA pair from an Ebay vendor ("whale-ers") for $22/pair who is currently selling them and MBTA for that price. Mine are beautiful, soldered cuff links with the old MTA tokens on each.)
~Paul Joyce~

3rdrail

Postby BostonUrbEx » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:14 am

The signs are kind of pricey... Their reproductions are just as expensive if not more than the WardMaps store sells real ones for. I think I'll wait for Bowdoin to meet her maker to get on of her signs.

Anyways, they should do reproductions for no longer existing stations, too! A nice ol' "CITY SQUARE" or "DOVER"? ;)
BostonUrbEx

Postby Teamdriver » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:36 am

Dover street maybe making a come back.The people there,including the Foley's of JJ fame, are making noise,rightfully so,to dump the East Berkley name.All that is needed is Harry the Greek to get on board.
Teamdriver

Postby 3rdrail » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:56 am

That was a busy corner (Dover/Wash). Roosevelt Hotel, Premier Deli, JJ Foleys, Harry the Greeks, Sids Smoker, Standard Electric...and last but not least...THE EL !
~Paul Joyce~

3rdrail

Postby danib62 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:14 pm

BostonUrbEx wrote:The signs are kind of pricey... Their reproductions are just as expensive if not more than the WardMaps store sells real ones for. I think I'll wait for Bowdoin to meet her maker to get on of her signs.

Anyways, they should do reproductions for no longer existing stations, too! A nice ol' "CITY SQUARE" or "DOVER"? ;)

The store is managed my WardMaps so the prices are the same. If you want to check out the merch and much more in person I suggest going down to WardMaps in Cambridge. Even though I've never purchased anything there it's a fun shop to browse.
"We are running with normal train service on the Red Line. We apologize for the inconvenience."
danib62

Next

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)