Providence bound trains on the weekends

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Providence bound trains on the weekends

Postby MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 » Mon Oct 04, 2004 1:21 pm

Why don't the MBTA trains continue their journey to Providence station for passengers? After dropping the passengers off in South Attleboro, the trains go to Providence station and sit there for an hour. A lot of people would rather take the train to Providence place mall than drive in traffic there.
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Postby Ron Newman » Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:13 pm

Do those trains in fact go empty to Providence, or do they sit in a yard near South Attleboro?
Ron Newman

Postby MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 » Mon Oct 04, 2004 5:25 pm

there is at least one train i know of that goes empty to Providence and it is 2811/1811 and i am sure that all others do to
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Postby TomNelligan » Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:35 pm

It probably has to do with the interstate funding arrangement for the Providence service. If the state of Rhode Island isn't paying for Sunday trains, the MBTA won't carry passengers beyond the Massachusetts state line, even if the incremental cost to them is zero. That's how politics works.
Last edited by TomNelligan on Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TomNelligan

Postby MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 » Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:58 pm

o ok thanks Tom. How much do you think Rhode island pays for the MBTA for weeday service?
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Postby Robert Paniagua » Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:46 am

You know F40PH 01050, I agree with you, I've seen trains go isolated to Porvidence on weekends, and I think i'ts about time Rhode Island step up to the plate and provide funding to transport would be Providence Place Mall patrons across the state border so that they won't have to drive into that mall. I agree with you 100%.

Hopefully things will ultimately go that way, although right now, there's very limited MBTA service outthere, although Amtrak and Acela services are available as well.
~Robert Paniagua
Moderator: WMATA :: General Railroad Operations
Robert Paniagua

Postby CSX Conductor » Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:29 am

I beleive it is mainly to free-up one of the main-line tracks between arrival and departure time at South Attleboro.
CSX Conductor

Postby Cotuit » Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:35 am

It's not just the people coming to Providence Place, some of us Rhode Islanders would like to take the train to Boston on weekends, instead we're stuck with Bonanza. :(

Hopefully when (I'm saying when, not if) service is extended to Green and into South County, we'll see weekend service in Rhode Island.
Cotuit

Postby MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 » Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:17 pm

o yea that to, i am sure Rhode Islanders would rather leave at Providence station instead of driving to S. Attleboro to take the train in
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Postby Cotuit » Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:04 pm

I doubt anyone here drives to South Attleboro for a weekend train, once you're on the highway, why bother stopping? It would be nice if those of us who live in and around downtown could simply walk to the train. The Bonanza bus is really a drag, you have to take a shuttle from Kennedy Plaza to the bus station near Branch Ave. (sometimes you have to switch buses there), then you ride to Boston. Often stuck in traffic obviously. Last time I took the bus, it broke down on 95 near the Rhode Island line and we had to stand on the side of the highway to wait for a new one (we were forced to wait outside because the bus had filled with smoke).

For those of us that don't drive, there is no good way to get to South Attleboro.
Cotuit

MBTA to PVD on weekends

Postby njt/mnrrbuff » Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:17 pm

MBTA should seriously consider running between PVD and Beantown on weekends. The traffic on 1-95 sucks big time. Also, I don't know how much it cost to go on Bonanza to Bos from Kennedy, but I have a feeling it is quite high. It would really benefit people PVD going to Bos for a weekend visit to museums as well as the other way around, BOS folks seeing Providence. Plus, when a train turns at S. Attleboro, it is clogging up the two mains especially in 150 zone. Where I live in Jersey near Newark and New York. Even better, lets say if a New Yorker wants to go to the NJ capital, even though there might not be as much as other places, that person has the benefit of multiple NJT departures 7 days a week. An off peak trip is a joke compared to Amtrak. So MBTA needs to get in the game here. Amtrak between BOS and PVD is expensive as well.
njt/mnrrbuff

Postby Cotuit » Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:04 am

One-Way Fares:
PVD-BOS Commuter Rail (Zone 8) = $6.00*
PVD-BOS Bonanza = $8.95
PVD-BOS Amtrak = $13.00
PVD-BOS Acela = $26.00

*Of course someone who commutes regularly and has a T Pass would pay nothing to ride the commuter rail on a weekend trip.

Times PVD to South Station:
Commuter Rail is 1hour 15minutes, or 1 hour on an express train
Bonanza is 1hour without traffic issues
Amtrak is 40 to 57 minutes depending on the train.

Amtrak and Commuter Rail allow the flexibility of getting off at Back Bay or even Ruggles, Bonanza does not.
Cotuit

Providence bound trains on weekends

Postby eddiebear » Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:40 am

Here's how MBTA and RIDOT settle their accounts.

When the Providence service was re-established after a lapse of a number of years, the following formula was adopted for service restoration.

The estimated cost minus revenue derived was computed. Factors such as ridership growth and inflation were also figured. The numbers were then run over a number of years into the future, 18 seems to stay with me. Say the result was $XXillion. RI then applied for Federal funds to purchase $XX million in rolling stock; RI did have to contribute some of its own funds. With an approved application, RI then bought a number of engines and cars with its funds; equipment is built to MBTA specifications and and is painted and lettered for MBTA. (Somewhere each unit has markings that RIDOT is owner.) Equipment goes into MBTA pool. At the end of depreciable life, MBTA gets the equipment. Pooled equipment can be used anywhere on the MBTA system, regardless of ownership.

This saves daily hassles over exact counting of passengers, which is done. Imagine developing a formula that has 106 out of 1,400 people on one train boarding in RI and 41 out of 227 on another, done every day for every train. It also eliminates the hassle if an RI engine is not available one day.

NH was exploring re-establishment of commuter service from Nashua Downtown and a Nashua park-n-ride to be built under the new bridge to Hudson to Lowell. This was pushed by the Shaheen administration but the other party is in power right now. NH's contribution was to be one full set of MBTA specific equipment, engine and probably 6 coaches.
eddiebear

Postby MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 » Wed Oct 06, 2004 1:15 pm

njt/mnrrbuff, that speed zone for Amtrak trains is 125 and 80 for commuter trains
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Postby pdxstreetcar » Thu Oct 07, 2004 11:56 am

I have noticed the T commuter trains pulling into the Providence station on weekends many times.

I think the T runs special trains from Providence to Foxboro on Sundays for Patriots games in addition to the Boston-Foxboro ones.

Are there any plans for MBTA to purchase electric locomotives for the Providence line now that it is electrified? It seems to me that if youve got an electrified line you might as well take advantage of it.

I recall that Amtrak had a lower weekend fare on their trains somewhere around $8-9 maybe a year ago.
pdxstreetcar

Next

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)