An Unusual Question........

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

An Unusual Question........

Postby Mdlbigcat » Sat Oct 02, 2004 7:40 pm

I was just thinking.......Could anyone at the T could consider creating a line like the RiverLINE [diesel LRT] in South Jersey? Maybe this line could be an extension of an existing line [like the Blue Line north of Wonderland, or the Red Line south of Braintree], a replacement for a Commuter Rail line, or an entirely new line [Purple Line? Yellow Line? Brown Line?] Considering the fact that the RiverLINE has street running and PRW [much like the surface portions of the Green Line], could this line be feasible? Maybe not a line to downtown, but as a "Crosstown Connector" or a feeder line?

Has anybody thought of that?
69th St. Train Making All stops.......Doors are Closing!
Mdlbigcat

Postby efin98 » Sat Oct 02, 2004 8:17 pm

I think that was a consideration for the Fairmont Line(T's plan or the Indigo Line proponents' plan?) and possibly as a replacement for one or both of the branches of the Newburport/Rockport Line past Beverly(?). The Fairmont Line seems plausible, the Newburyport/Rockport replacement seems highly unlikely though.

Regarding colors, I would think the new line would be the Indigo Line or some variation of green and purple to coincide with the attributes of the Green Line(light rail) and Purple Line(Commuter Rail). Red, Blue, Green, Orange, Silver, Yellow, and Purple are already in use and I believe Gold may be reserved for the "Urban Ring" bus lines should that ever get off the ground. Brown would be the most likely candidate for being the color for new service, maybe with Grey as the next likely.
efin98

Postby CSX Conductor » Sat Oct 02, 2004 8:55 pm

But the Fairmount Branch (a.k.a. Dorchester Branch would still be needed.

1) For dead-heading equipment between South Station & the Readville service facility.

2) As an alternative to the Corridor. (I.e. emergency situation, or to simply divert trains during rush-hour which are heading the opposite way of the rush hour, in-bounds during evening rush and vise-versa.)

3) Freight service for CSXT's customers in South Boston. Although these customers could be serviced out of Beacon Park in Brighton if need be.
CSX Conductor

Postby efin98 » Sat Oct 02, 2004 9:33 pm

Those reasons are probably why nothing has been done with the Fairmont Line at all, other than plans to upgrade the stations to modern standards. However that doesn't prohibit anything from happening though, there has to be some way of getting better service on the line without causing it conflict with the needs of the commuter rail.
efin98

Postby CSX Conductor » Sat Oct 02, 2004 11:03 pm

I must admit though, the Fairmount Station modernization is coming along pretty quickly. :-)
CSX Conductor

Postby Cotuit » Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:37 pm

One of the alternatives to be studied for Blue Line extension to Lynn/Salem is the use of DMU's to augment current commuter rail service. DMUs could also be used on Fairmount line in the future creating a Riverline like service.
Cotuit

Postby ckb » Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:59 pm

The RiverLINE trains in South Jersey are DLRV's, not DMU's -- that is, they are not built to FRA passenger rail standards. They operate on a time-sharing agreement with the freights, who shuffle a fair amount of local business on parts of the line overnight. For more info, click on over to the NJT Light Rail Forum on this site.

DMU's on the other hand, like the one prototyped by Colorado railcar, are designed to be FRA-compliant. These regulations impose some hefty weight restrictions, making the cars less efficient and slower to accelerate, but for short trains, they appear to rival the traditional locomotive & cars consist.

For the Fairmont branch, sounds like either one could be a possibility -- if you really only need the line for emergency or overnight use for general traffic, the T could set-up a similar time-sharing agreement. If this is unfeasible, DMU's could be attractive.
ckb

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)