new blue line cars

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Postby Ron Newman » Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:55 pm

The T has lengthened the platforms of many underground subway stations over the years without ever having to close them -- Central, Kendall, Park Street Under, Downtown Crossing (both levels!), South Station, Andrew, Broadway, Haymarket (Orange Line), State (Orange Line), Chinatown.

They also managed to turn the Orange Line stop at North Station into the current Green/Orange Superstation without ever shutting down the Orange Line.

So I see no reason they should have to shut down State or GC for Blue Line platform extension. It's true they did shut down Aquarium, but that was a total gut rehab.
Ron Newman

Postby Stephen » Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:00 pm

Does anyone have an update on the new cars? Any idea on when the first pair will arrive for testing?
Thanks,
Stephen
Stephen

Postby Robert Paniagua » Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:44 pm

I'm wondering the same thing myself also.......

I'd like to see how the new coaches would look (even though I saw the mockup shots).
~Robert Paniagua
Moderator: WMATA :: General Railroad Operations
Robert Paniagua

Postby StevieC48 » Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:54 pm

From what Johnathn Belcher told me that sometime in July/August 2005 for the prototype for testing and crew training. They were delayed because of the company who builds trucks (Buckeye Castings) went out of buisness so they had to find another supplier. The first 2 cars are in Kanoa NY being put together as we speak. Stevie
Farewell old friend thanks for the memories.
#4 EBT cars Hawker Siddley 1978-2009

Instructor/Inspector SERY
Member 25 years proud
StevieC48

Postby StevieC48 » Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:01 pm

Here is a mock up photo from Talgo America look in the web site the also have a photo of the actual shell of the #5 East Boston Tunnel Cars enjoy the photos

www.ttallc.com/newcomponents/newcomponentmockup.php

Member 25 years proud
StevieC48

Postby efin98 » Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:55 pm

Ted M. who happens to be a more reliable source than Jonathan Belcher(and is someone who actually works for the T- unlike him...) has stated it's going to be this summer for the first appearence of the cars on the Orange Line(yes, that line). Six months left, can't wait to see them!
efin98

Postby StevieC48 » Sat Feb 26, 2005 10:23 am

Yes Johanthan does not work for the T however he is quite reliable since his job puts him in direct contact with all the shops in the T. He is responsiable to keep accurate track of all transit rolling stock for the feds. I can vouch his crediability. PS you are only as good as your source of information is.
Last edited by StevieC48 on Sat Feb 26, 2005 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Member 25 years proud
StevieC48

Postby efin98 » Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:01 pm

StevieC48 wrote:Yes Johanthan does not work for the T however he is quite reliable since his job puts him in direct contact with all the shops in the T. He is responsiable to keep accurate track of all transit rolling stock for the feds. I can vouch his crediability.

Belcher has alot of credibility issues with me and I prefer to trust someone who actually works in the carhouse...besides, the information was already posted on this forum only a few days ago by Ted.
efin98

Postby StevieC48 » Sat Feb 26, 2005 4:14 pm

I undersatnd where you are comming from I give him Info time to time. I am at the Everett Shops and give him updates when anything of intrest happens over there LOL

Member 25 years proud
StevieC48

Re: new blue line cars

Postby Plaidline » Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:13 pm

efin98 wrote:I can't wait for something to happen, I am on pins and needles for this transformation of the line. BTW, IIRC wouldn't the renovations make the Blue Line the second fully ADA complient line on the T? Buses and Silver Line exempt, I think only the Orange Line can claim that title at this point...

The orange line isn't fully ADA compliant. Not even close. It's accessible to those with mobility impairments to the extent that they're allowed to disaply the accessability symbol on all the trains and stations. But there's plenty of stuff that doesn't meet the ADA of 1990, like doors with a pull weight of greater than 5 lbs, signage that doesn't comply, stairs that have hollow fronts and/or protruding noses, railing heights that aren't within the specified range, etc. This stuff isn't illegal, since the stations were constructed prior to 1990, but it should be updated when it can be.
Plaidline

Re: new blue line cars

Postby efin98 » Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:48 pm

Plaidline wrote:The orange line isn't fully ADA compliant. Not even close. It's accessible to those with mobility impairments to the extent that they're allowed to disaply the accessability symbol on all the trains and stations. But there's plenty of stuff that doesn't meet the ADA of 1990, like doors with a pull weight of greater than 5 lbs, signage that doesn't comply, stairs that have hollow fronts and/or protruding noses, railing heights that aren't within the specified range, etc. This stuff isn't illegal, since the stations were constructed prior to 1990, but it should be updated when it can be.

But it's still ADA compliant to the letter of the law for the stations and the issues regarding the trains are taken care of when the cars are retired and new cars that are compliant replaces them. The line is compliant, maybe not to YOUR standards but it is compliant.
efin98

Previous

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)