Haverhill Line Upgrade Discussion (Western Route)

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

Re: Haverhill Line Upgrade Discussion (Western Route)

Postby BandA » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:42 pm

Why are the "telegraph" (railroad signal wires) poles on the left and the signals cabinet on the right?
BandA

Postby KB1KVD » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:58 am

Those "telegraph" wires are the old 550v signal power and some of the old comm lines. Back before all the work in the area,the signal huts were on the same side of the tracks as the pole line. As far as I know the pole line is supposed to be eventually taken down, I don't think that's happening until they cutover LJ and WJ.
Keolis Radio Maintainer Out....
KB1KVD

Postby insider485 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:57 am

My understanding (from the last picture) is that the wild cat line will be moved from it's existing spot and be re-routed under the new signal bridge (far right signal). You can see a new track bed (if your coming from Reading, east bound) already set to move the wild cat tracks under the signal bridge.

From there the existing main line will be centered under the bridge, center signal, with a interlocking switching for the third rail far left signal for the new easterly route track. They started laying the interlock switches just after the southbound side of RT93.

The old wild cat switch will be removed once all track work and signal work is completed.

:-D
insider485

Postby BostonUrbEx » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:13 pm

The old Wildcat switch will remain and go to a MOW siding.
BostonUrbEx

Previous

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)