BOSTON SUPER RIDE Part 2 [very long post]

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

BOSTON SUPER RIDE Part 2 [very long post]

Postby Mdlbigcat » Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:45 pm

Sorry for the delay, but Tuesday I JUST HAD TO GO GET MY STAR WARS DVD at Best Buy! Since the store was out of my way [the price I pay for living in the 'burbs], and the bus connections sucked, I got home too late to type it up. Tonight I took the time. So without any further adeiu, here's PART TWO OF THE BOSTON SUPER RIDE:

BOSTON SUPER RIDE PART TWO

15] Red Line - Charles-MGH to Ashmont.
Got on a 01700. They look like the 015/1600, just as worn and tired-looking. It rode roughly as well. Noticed the missing Savin Hill Station [undergoing reconstruction]. Got off at the end of the line at Ashmont.

16] M line - Ashmont to Mattapan.
It’s been over 2 decades since I rode a early 40’s style Air-Electric PCC car. That style of car brought back a lot of memories, except for that left-side door. It was a typical PCC as well, it was quite a hot car for the short ride, bet in the wintertime, they will be quite cold.

17] Red Line - Ashmont to JFK-UMass.
Uneventful trip to the unusual JFK station [why didn’t the have both branches stop at one platform?]

18] Red Line - JFK-UMass to Braintree.
Another uneventful trip to Braintree, noticed how slow the trains ran around Wollaston, I wonder what happened there to cause the slow-running.

19] Red Line - Braintree to Park St.
Rode back to transfer to the Green Line. Got off at Park St and transferred to the Green Line.
The Green Line has several branches like the Subway-surface in Philly, but Philly has a single downtown terminal, but Boston has Government Center, North Station, and Lechmere terminals, [Lechmere is being bustituted]. Rode an 01700 series car.

20] Green Line - Park St to Boylston.
Took the car one stop, and got off to photograph the type 5 and PCC stores there, and get a nice look at Boston Common. Got my photos, and saw a Silver Line Bus on the way to Dudley Sq.
I will ride the Silver Line on my next visit. Rode a 36xx Type 7.

21] Green Line - Boylston to North Station.
After getting my pictures, and seeing the Silver Line bus, I went back in and rode another Type 7 car back to North Station. Checked out the incredibly nice new station, and marveled at the ease of transfer between the Green and Orange Lines. Got a pic of an Orange Line train, then went across the platform to hop on a Green Line car. Got on one of the new 38xx Type 8 car on the B [Boston College] line. Rode it to Boston University East station to hop off and get lunch at Taco Bell.

22] Green Line - Boston University East to Harvard Ave.
How many people can you fit in these cars? First it was an ordeal just getting on, then realizing that nobody pays outbound, and then riding an extremely packed car. Even as the cars were coming quite frequently, and in 2 car trains, they were always packed. I bet it was WORSE when the T was running the smaller PCC’s on these lines. I wanted to ride to the end of the line, but I jumped off at Harvard Ave. and tried to ride back downtown to then catch the D [Riverside] line. I got on then I noticed a couple of mixed Type 7 and 8 trains, tried to get a
picture of them. After my camera jammed [for the last time-I going digital for my next camera], I got my picture, then hopped on the inbound B car. It got crowded really quick,
causing the driver to tell people to “Move to the back of the CAH please!” [Approximate interpretation of the operators pronunciation.] The extremely packed car, went downtown.
I got off at Kenmore, thinking about crossing over to the other side and getting on the D line
But when I got off, I saw a 34xx Boeing car on the E line. I rode the Boeing car back to Government Center, got off, then went outside to a Starbucks to get some more caffeine re- enforcement. Then I strolled around the grounds of City Hall for a while, saw the Lechmere
Shuttle bus, then got back on the Green Line.

23] Green Line - Government Center to Reservoir.
I waited about 15 minutes for the D line, then got on another 38xx Type 8 car. The car got extremely packed [due to the delay] and it got worse as the car went down the line. I rode
to Reservoir station [next to the carhouse].

24] Green Line - Reservoir to Government Center.
I crossed over and got a rare thing: A CAR WITH EMPTY SEATS!!!!!!! But that didn’t last long, it got packed once it re-entered the Subway. BTW, if you ride on the left side, check out the
car as the train rounds the tight turn at Boylston, on an articulated car, it’s really cool.

25] Blue Line - Government Center to Bowdoin, then to Wonderland.
I got on the Blue Line, rode to Bowdoin, got off the train, took a picture of the train going out the station, and coming back into the station. Got on and got the “Railfan” seat. As the train
got on the way, I notice how extremely small the stations are, also it seems to be somewhat
deep as well. The most unnerving thing about the ride is the door chimes, being that they sound like the Broad St subway chimes. According to many of the railfan web sites, the changeover from third rail to overhead usually takes place at Maverick station, but it took place at the Airport station. The changeover takes less than 30 seconds, and is barely noticeable.

26] Blue Line - Wonderland to State.
I noticed that the line runs near beaches, making Boston the second city I’m in with subway
service to or near beaches [NYC is he First]. Rode the SAME train back to State [all three
rides on the 0600 series cars.

27] Orange Line - State to North Station.
I got on the Orange Line, rode to North Station for a bathroom break. Got off, went outside
and saw [and took a picture of] what’s left of the old Green Line El on Causeway St. As I was
walking into North Station, I wondered how crazy this place is during rush hour, and events at the Fleet Center, happening simultaneously. It is probably like MSG and Penn Station. Now a train station and an Arena looks like a great “Mixed Use”, but it must be way too crazy when events and rush hour collide.

28] Orange Line - North Station to Oak Grove.
Since each of the T’s heavy rail subway lines are incompatible with each other, I like the attempt to at least do some standardization by having the Blue Line and the Orange line have some common components, and a common look. The 01200 cars also have the all-too common door chimes that get on my nerves as well. During the ride, I noticed that most of the passengers
got off at Malden. Is that a major transfer point?

29] Orange Line - Oak Grove to Forest Hill.
This is the second trip I rode end-to-end [the Blue Line was the first]. In the downtown stations, I noticed that the inbound and outbound platforms are offset from each other. Why is that? I rode all the way down to Forest Hill, then crossed over to another train back to Downtown Crossing. Those 01200’s can be quite noisy.

30] Red Line - Downtown Crossing to South Station.
My last subway ride in Boston was on a 01500/01600 car set. Took the ride one stop, then checked out the construction of the Silver Line station as I was going back into South Station.
When the line opens. That will be quite an interesting ride, on an underground Trackless Trolley!

31] Amtrak 67 - Boston to NYC.
Got on the train and tried to sleep my way to NYC. Those train seats suck, couldn’t sleep.

32] 2 train - 34th St Penn Station to Church Ave Brooklyn.
I had a 2 ¼ hour layover, so I took a round trip on the NYC Subway. It was uneventful except
when I got out of the subway at Church Ave, and noticed that it was raining. That hussy Frances had arrived up here! Rode a 63xx R142

33] 2 train - Church Ave to 34th St Penn Station.
Noticed that on this ride, the REALLY early birds were heading to work. The local stops started
to really hiss me off, especially waiting for about 3 minutes at Atlantic Ave for a connecting 4
train. I sweated out hoping to reach Penn Station and catching the 4:44 to Trenton.

34] NEC line - Penn Station to Trenton.
This train had a combo of early risers to work, and those souls that had the misfortune to miss the last train and now they are taking the first train home.

35] River LINE - Trenton to WRTC.
When the NEC train arrived, it was pouring in Trenton. Ran across to get on the RiverLINE, and
got a [very rare] morning rush hour ride southbound. [usually if I ride the line, I’m going
Northbound]. The line wasn’t crowded [but I saw a couple of crowded Northbounds], but if they
had a 5:30 am start, it probably pick up a considerable number of people going to Camden and
Philly.

36] PATCO - Broadway [WRTC] to Collingswood.
Since it was raining, I decided not to use the 403 bus, and took the PATCO line instead. The
Lindenwold-bound trains are virtually empty, while the Philly trains are full.

37] Parkview Shuttle Bus - Collingswood Station to D building.
Explained to the driver why I’m going the wrong way. And now that I’m heading home to my bed at 8 am in the morning. That ends the MARATHON SUPER RIDE.
69th St. Train Making All stops.......Doors are Closing!
Mdlbigcat

Postby efin98 » Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:03 am

It looks like Boston has a new fan :-D

To add onto a few of your points:

17: the station was built in two seperate stages over the years. The configuration is easiest possible for the Braintree Branch to peel off the main line without causing disruptions to either line. The Braintree Branch is also newer, having been built in the 1970s compared with the 1920s for the Ashmont Branch. It also reduces two seat rides on the line that the previous configuration caused and also helped to provide better service north since a large percentage of those getting on at the station are going north anyway.

18: major damage due to a recent derailment

23&24: you could have walked down the street to Cleveland Circle and get a C line train back, that way you come and go two ways and get in more trackage :wink:

25: the changover at Airport is temporary(?) due to the demolition of the old Airport station, Maverick has been the place for it for a while and will probably be the changover point again.

26: Wonderland and Revere Beach are famous for being right near the beach(they don't call it "Revere Beach" for nothing :wink:) and Orient Heights has a pretty decent beach not too far away too, not as fancy and pretty loud(directly across from the runways at Logan Airport!) but it offers a great place to beat the heat.

27: North Station is worse, at least you can spread out more at Penn Station and MSG and I don't think MSG has its entrance within Penn Station the way the Fleet Center has its entrances within North Station.

28: Malden is a major transfer point, one of the large transfer points on the north side. I think only Harvard and Wellington have more buses out of it on the North Side though. And regarding the 1200s, they are based on the 0600s but have a few major differences(length being one). They are workhorses who put up with alot of abuse and still go strong, even if they are a bit underappreciated by riders.

29: Good question. I think they are squeezed into Washington Street when it is at its narrowest so they put the stations as close together and as possible to impact the street the least and ended up with offset platforms. They truely are unique in the system, three stations with platforms totally offset and on different levels at two. The Red Line and Green Line have two stations that are offset alot but not as highly offset as the Orange Line.

A shame you didn't have more time, but at least you got a taste of what the T had to offer. Maybe next time you can ride the Commuter Rail and get a taste of that part of the T and sample some of the bus routes off the beaten path as well.
efin98

Postby Robert Paniagua » Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:27 am

18: major damage due to a recent derailment

Yes, caused my M1 01612 back on Thursday, Aug 12, 2004 (earlier this year). And the mandatory 10-code will apply to ALL station approaches in BOTH directions for Quincy Center, Wollaston, and North Quincy. Hopefully 25-codes or 50-codes will be back in place no later than early October. It's been a nightmare for all South Shore/Southeastern Mass commuters who use this route as their only way to get to work or visit a Red Sox/Celtics/Bruins game or want to go up to town for fun and having to deal with this.
~Robert Paniagua
Moderator: WMATA :: General Railroad Operations
Robert Paniagua

Boston Super Ride {Part 2}

Postby eddiebear » Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:54 am

Item 29. Washington Street is very narrow through Downtown Boston so the stations are staggered.

In addition, up until the MBTA era, the opposite sides of the stations had separate names.

Haymarket for the Orange was Friend-Union. Trolley Subway was always Haymarket.
State for the Orange was Milk-Devonshire. Blue Line always State.
Downtown Crossing on the Orange was Winter-Summer. Red was always Washington. For a time in the MBTA era, the entire station was Washington and then eventually renamed Downtown Crossing.
Chinatown was Boylston-Essex. As far as I know, the two sides were never accessible from one to the other - for passengers. All of the others were.
In addition, the Red Line portion at South Station was SOUTH STATION UNDER. Plain South Station was the Atlantic Ave. Elevated. Park Street Red Line was PARK STREET UNDER. Regular Park Street was the Green Line level.

Boston idiosyncracies.
eddiebear

Postby Ron Newman » Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:33 am

Boylston-Essex was first changed to just Essex (both sides), then later to Chinatown.

Other station renamings in the MBTA era:

Scollay Square (and Scollay Under) -> Government Center
Mechanics -> Prudential
Columbia -> JFK/UMass
Atlantic -> Aquarium
Massachusetts -> Auditorium -> Hynes/ICA .... and with the ICA moving and the Hynes Convention Center possibly closing, this station will need yet another name soon.
Last edited by Ron Newman on Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ron Newman

Postby jwhite07 » Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:29 am

Massachusetts -> Auditorium -> Hynes/ICA .... and with the ICA moving and the Hynes Convention Center possibly closing, this station will need yet another name soon.

I always thought they ought to name this station Newbury...
jwhite07

Postby apodino » Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:47 am

jwhite07 wrote:

I always thought they ought to name this station Newbury...

I agree 100 Percent.
Rich "Dino" Martin
A one time happy rider of Arborway and the old Washington St. El.
apodino

Postby MBTA1 » Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:19 pm

For Item 29 I believe that they are also across because of the building foundations.
MBTA1

Postby Ron Newman » Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:41 pm

17) When the South Shore Red Line branch was first built, it did not stop at Columbia, but ran express from North Quincy to Andrew. The second platform, for Braintree trains, was added only in the late 1980s.

28) Malden is a transfer point not just to many buses, but also to the Haverhill/Reading commuter rail line.
Ron Newman

Postby fm535 » Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:50 pm

Since they name the stations for something close by, like Aquarium, or Hynes, etc, I said it before and I still say it, Mass Ave on the OL should be named after the sandwich shop thats right there...

SUBWAY :wink:
fm535

Postby Robert Paniagua » Fri Sep 24, 2004 5:54 am

Yeah there you go. Subway Station would be VERY appropiate for that one..........
~Robert Paniagua
Moderator: WMATA :: General Railroad Operations
Robert Paniagua

Postby octr202 » Fri Sep 24, 2004 7:38 am

Robert Paniagua wrote:Yeah there you go. Subway Station would be VERY appropiate for that one..........

Uh oh -- this is starting to sounds like the T's plan to sell naming rights again... :wink:
Wondering if I'll see the Haverhill double-tracking finished before I retire...
Photo: Melbourne W7 No. 1019 on Route 78, Bridge & Church Streets, Richmond, Victoria. 10/21/2010
octr202

Location: In the land of the once and future 73 trackless trolley.

Postby jumbotusk » Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:34 am

No its not. He's joking. And why are you winking?
jumbotusk

Postby octr202 » Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:38 am

jumbotusk wrote:No its not. He's joking. And why are you winking?

Sarcasm, my dear friend, sarcasm.

Of course, its not like the T didn't try this -- just it seems to have gone over like a lead balloon.
Wondering if I'll see the Haverhill double-tracking finished before I retire...
Photo: Melbourne W7 No. 1019 on Route 78, Bridge & Church Streets, Richmond, Victoria. 10/21/2010
octr202

Location: In the land of the once and future 73 trackless trolley.

Re: BOSTON SUPER RIDE Part 2 [very long post]

Postby BC Eagle » Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:48 am

Mdlbigcat wrote:
22] I got off at Kenmore, thinking about crossing over to the other side and getting on the D line But when I got off, I saw a 34xx Boeing car on the E line. I rode the Boeing car back to Government Center, got off, then went outside to a Starbucks to get some more caffeine re-enforcement. Then I strolled around the grounds of City Hall for a while, saw the LechmereShuttle bus, then got back on the Green Line.

23] Green Line - Government Center to Reservoir.
I waited about 15 minutes for the D line, then got on another 38xx Type 8 car. The car got extremely packed [due to the delay] and it got worse as the car went down the line. I rode to Reservoir station [next to the carhouse].

E-Line trains do not pass through Kenmore Square. They branch of the main line at Copley Square. As for Type 8's on the D-Line, they are not in revenue service on this branch. Are you sure it was a Type 8?
BC Eagle

Next

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)