1.50 fare on the D line

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

1.50 fare on the D line

Postby jumbotusk » Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:41 am

Ok, so can someone please answer this.... Why does the T charge 1.50 as opposed to 1.25 on the D line between Resevoir and Fenway inbound?

The answer I've heard is you pay extra for the faster service, as opposed to the B or C line. However, the D line is just on par with the red or orange lines as far as time and speed to cover a given distance. If this reasoning was the case, they should discount the B and C lines!

Plus, you only pay the 1.50 if you are paying cash going inbound. No differential is made for T-pass holders, nor those going outbound from downtown. So really, the T is making 12.5 cents per cash passenger more on the D line than elsewhere. Hardly seems worth it to confuse the hell out of people.

Also, would you agree the B line must be the slowest transit line in the country? I mean, it takes 50 minutes to go not much more than 6 miles or so. You may as well walk!
jumbotusk

Postby MBTA1 » Tue Sep 21, 2004 6:52 pm

Yes, the B is slow

And the T is going to try to make as much money as they can plus its the most hevily ridden line on the Green so if you figure if you charge people more where they go more then you make more money.
MBTA1

Postby astrosa » Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:33 pm

Another thing to consider about the D line is that it serves Brookline and Newton in addition to Boston. It's also not alone in requiring a higher fare, as boarding the Red Line inbound in Quincy costs the equivalent of two tokens. True, the portion of the line you're talking about serves basically the same area as the C line - but of course the speed of operation is mainly what separates the two.

I don't know if your comparison to the Red and Orange lines is entirely valid, though. They are both heavy-rail rapid transit lines, which are designed to move quickly over larger distances, while the D is a light-rail line that is somewhat of a cross between streetcar and rapid transit. What exactly the T's reasoning is, I don't know, but one does need to recognize that the D is somewhat unique among the other transit lines. Maybe the operating costs are simply higher than other lines.

Also, I don't share your view that the different fare system "confuses the hell out of people." Maybe it's because I'm a native of Boston, but it's just a fact of life: fares are higher on the D line. You want confusing, try a place like SF or DC with a distance-based fare system. At least you always know what the D line's fare is going to be. And as far as how much more the T earns per passenger on that line, it's not limited to the portion of the line you mentioned. I can't say for sure what their motives are, but if it's revenue they're after, it's not just the 25 or 12.5 cents extra per person.

People have argued about the speed of the B line for ages, but I don't think much can really change. It's a milk run, a streetcar line serving Allston and Brookline, and it's not a rapid transit line. I think that for the Comm. Ave corridor, train service is very important, but the neighborhood just isn't really suited to a rapid-transit line. It may be slow, but it's better than buses, and I don't think you'll find many people who would be willing to regularly walk the length of Comm. Ave from downtown...
astrosa

Postby Plaidline » Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:35 pm

Well, what's annoying about the fare change on the D line is that I live at Reservoir. It costs me $3.00 to go from Chestnut Hill to Reservoir, and this is in addition to the money I've already shelled out for the subway pass, which is useless inbound past Chestnut Hill. This trip is about 1.5 miles the way the train goes and is about a mile if you walk on back roads going by the reservoir. WHY does this need to cost $3.00? I know the have the Newton local thing going on further out to address the issue of paying a huge fare to go a small distance, but it doesn't help me. Needless to say, I walk home from the Chestnut Hill malls or drive there and back.
Plaidline

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)