Poll: Worst of rapid transit

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

What is the worst rapid transit line?

Green Line - one of the branches
15%
Green Line - subway/combined
26%
Blue Line
No votes
Orange Line
7%
Red Line - either branch
4%
Red Line - Ashmont
4%
Red Line - Braintree
4%
Red Line - combined
No votes
Silver Line (heh!)
41%

Total votes : 27

Postby ctaman34 » Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:57 pm

i say the silver line

because how long is construction going to last
ctaman34

Postby N.Y. State Of Mind » Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:02 pm

Tha Silver Line is not even rapid transit. It's nothing but a fancy, glorified limited stop bus.
N.Y. State Of Mind

Postby CRail » Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:04 pm

Im sayin the green line, its so unpredictable. You could get a train right away or in 20 minutes after you just miss one. All of the different destinations are a pain too. Plus with the construction and the shuttles, its just a mess. Its basicly a bus on rails, in my opinion.
Moderator: Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority
Avatar:3679A (since wrecked)/3623B (now in service as 3636B).
CRail

Postby efin98 » Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:13 pm

I have had nothing but success with the Orange Line, Red Line, and Blue Line, all three come fairly quickly and adhere to their scheduled headways the vast majority of the time. I have yet to encounter a problem on the Blue Line or the Red Line and the only troubles on the Orange Line have been passenger related medical problems and always didn't affect me too much.

The Green Line on the other hand has been a thorn in my side. It never comes on time nor does the branch that I want arrive in a timely manner. There are always Government Center bound trains when I need Lechmere or North Station bound trains, always D or E trains when I need a C or B, and the only time I have ever been on a train that went completely dead was on an E train after the switch that leads to the Brattle Loop heading west to Heath Street(you can imagine the pain in the neck that caused!).
I still love the line though, just had bad luck with it when I needed it most.
efin98

Postby CRail » Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:23 pm

Im with efin, I like the green line, but it runs like it travels on the road, and it seldom does, it also might as well with all of the shuttles it has.
CRail

Postby Robert Paniagua » Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:52 pm

The Braintree Extension has a mandatory "10-code" order on BOTH directions in the Quincy Centre, Wollaston, and North Quincy Stations, all because of train 01612 getting in that accident on Aug 12. Although they say around next month before 40-50 mph running resumes on the SS-QBE Red line, I'd love to see that branch increased to 55 mph, I took a look at the Red Line Car speed indicator/cab signals, and I saw a provision of a "55 code", which is possible to run down that way, citing the far distance between all Braintree Branch stations.
~Robert Paniagua
Moderator: WMATA :: General Railroad Operations
Robert Paniagua

Postby CS » Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:02 am

Well,
Green line wouldn't be at the top, probably 4th for reasons stated above. Of course the silver line is 5th. Phase three isn't going to happen, it's just not feasible any way you slice it. The only way you will get one silver line is on rails.
C. Sarjeant
"CS"
CS

Postby Robert Paniagua » Sun Sep 19, 2004 8:08 am

Yeah I know, and I think that's sill possible to convert the Silver Lie to light rail.
~Robert Paniagua
Robert Paniagua

Postby CRail » Sun Sep 19, 2004 8:46 am

Not happenin, harsh reality, but its not hapenin! :(
CRail

Postby Robert Paniagua » Sun Sep 19, 2004 8:49 am

Yeah we are aware of that already. Although light rail was the original plan, but they opted for a "trackless subway" instead.
~Robert Paniagua
Robert Paniagua

Postby jwhite07 » Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:32 am

I voted Green Line - one of the branches. That branch would be the E, for a couple of reasons. First, have you ever had to get off an E train during the rush hour, in either direction, at Prudential or Symphony? The train sits there for several minutes while a bunch of people fight their way through a packed car to get to the exit at the front door, and then a bunch more people file on, stopping to stuff dollar bills into the farebox. Not to mention that ridership seems to be way up at Prudential now that there is a direct connection to the Pru mall. It'd be a lot cheaper to just pay for the token booth collectors they used to have at Prudential and Symphony inbound, and make Symphony outbound free. That's the way it was ten years ago, and it was much quicker.

The other reason I voted for the E is that, of course, it doesn't go all the way to the Arborway like it should!
jwhite07

Postby N.Y. State Of Mind » Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:48 pm

Would it help tha Green Line if they were to run three-car trains?
N.Y. State Of Mind

Postby jwhite07 » Sun Sep 19, 2004 1:14 pm

Three-car trains are operated occasionally on the Boston College and Riverside lines. The T doesn't have enough equipment to run 3 car trains on all four lines, so they're operated only where and when they are most needed.
jwhite07

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)