"T" Information Billboard at South Station.

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

"T" Information Billboard at South Station.

Postby braves » Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:57 am

Does anyone know the train desination terminals up on the big "T" Information Billboard at South Station, for instance:Attleboro.

If anyone knows the terminals, please post them up.
braves

Postby MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 » Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:28 am

what do you mean? where the train's destination is?
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Postby CSX Conductor » Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:20 am

Nearly all of the destinations listed in the public timetables are prgrammed on the board, with very few exceptions......in which case it is left blank. I can't recall which one that I saw blank....it's been a while, sorry.
CSX Conductor

Postby trigonalmayhem » Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:52 pm

I think the Readville shuttle actually reads "Fairmont" on the board, if I recall correctly. In fact, even on the T's website it's listed as the "Fairmont Line."
trigonalmayhem

Postby MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 » Sat Sep 18, 2004 2:18 pm

for the Attleboro line trains, the board says where the train is heading to. like for instance,

811 on the board would read South Attleboro, because that is where its last stop is

813 would read Providence, because that is the last stop on the line
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Postby CRail » Sat Sep 18, 2004 4:20 pm

Heres the List:

Abington
Attleboro
Canton Ctr
Canton Jct.
Forge Park / 495
Framingham
Franklin
Kingston
Middleville
Lakeville
Needham Hts.
Norwood
Plymouth
Providence
Readville
South Attleboro
Stoughton
Worcester

There is one blank one. That destination is Mansfield, but its not on the board.
Moderator: Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority
Avatar:3679A (since wrecked)/3623B (now in service as 3636B).
CRail

Postby apodino » Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:39 pm

Ok, I have used south station for many years and I don't think you guys have it right yet.

I believe Abington is the Blank Destination, at least it used to be used in that fashion, though it might be whitman.

The Readville Shuttles over the Dorchester Branch are listed as Fairmount.

There is no separate sign for Canton Junction and Canton Center, Canton Junction is listed on the sign for those trips.

Franklin means the train is terminating at Franklin/Dean College, Franklin/495 means its terminating at Forge Park.

Football trains are listed as Foxboro.

South Attleboro and Attleboro are both indicated simply by Attleboro.

Greenbush has been on the signs for years, even though service hasn't begun yet.

Sometimes weekend Needham Heights trains say Needham Junction, even though all trains started servicing needham heights years ago.
Rich "Dino" Martin
A one time happy rider of Arborway and the old Washington St. El.
apodino

Postby CRail » Sat Sep 18, 2004 6:00 pm

apodino wrote:I have used south station for many years and I don't think you guys have it right yet.

I wouldn't come off so strong, this is how discussions can get heated.

Ive checked the schedules, the blank is mansfield.
Those are all of the destinations so what the board says is probably a little different then what I had, but its in the ballpark.
CRail

Postby Ron Newman » Sat Sep 18, 2004 7:51 pm

I think the original question may have gotten lost here. What destinations are built-in to the board but never used in normal service (because trains don't go there anymore, or don't go there yet, or never went there, etc.) ?
Ron Newman

Postby braves » Sat Sep 18, 2004 7:53 pm

I believe I saw future signs like Millis & Greenbush, if there are future signs, can someone post them.
braves

Postby apodino » Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:13 pm

CRail wrote:
apodino wrote:I have used south station for many years and I don't think you guys have it right yet.

I wouldn't come off so strong, this is how discussions can get heated.

Ive checked the schedules, the blank is mansfield.
Those are all of the destinations so what the board says is probably a little different then what I had, but its in the ballpark.

I apologize if I sounded like I was coming off strong. I meant that in a friendly way.

You are correct in the Mansfield is represented by a blank. Thats an early morning train that is primarily used as a repositioning train to Mansfield. Since I am not familiar with reverse commuting schedules, I wouldn't have really paid much attention to that train. And you should understand that my comment wasn't denying that the blank was used for mansfield, but that its used for other things as well. It has been used for a pm Rush hour train to Abington in the past, but that train has been extended to Whitman and I don't know if there is a Whitman listed on the solari sign or not.

I know that those destinations are represented in some way. But I was trying to respond to the original post as to what exactly the signs say, not what they mean.

Another interesting sign that can be found is Back Bay. I am not sure if this was used back when the NEC electrification project was underway and the trains diverted over fairmount, bypassing Back Bay.

This discussion may actually be moot soon. The T has solicited bids for some sort of information kiosk system to be installed throughout south station. While the solicitation was pretty vague, this could be used as a replacement, since the Solari Boards are 15 years old or so, and Amtrak replaced the solari board in Penn Station with a more modern one. I could be wrong though, since Amtrak did install a solari board at Route 128 station when it was rebuilt.
Rich "Dino" Martin
A one time happy rider of Arborway and the old Washington St. El.
apodino

Postby CSX Conductor » Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:26 pm

Thanks Corey and Apodino, I wasn't sure if it was Mansfield or Abington. Guess it was both and that's why I couldn't be sure which one. :-)
CSX Conductor

Postby CRail » Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:59 pm

its ok apodino, i was just saying that lots of people can take stuff the wrong way, and you can get people jumpin down your throat when you were just tryin to help out. I'll admit, ive been on both sides of the spectrum. Just a heads up :-)

Any Time CSX. :wink:
CRail

Postby Ron Newman » Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:35 pm

The T ran South Station-Back Bay shuttles in the 1980s when the NEC was shut down for Southwest Corridor reconstruction.
Ron Newman

Postby CRail » Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:42 pm

so is back bay on the board?
CRail

Next

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)