Where to find old maps in the system

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: Where to find old maps in the system

Postby rhodiecub2 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:52 am

I noticed at State and Government Ctr, there is still some of the older style Blue Line maps.
rhodiecub2

Postby mattl » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:00 pm

Old style blue line? I will try and get a photo of this one tonight.
Oh, I bet you read a lot of Gordon Wood, huh? You read your Gordon Wood and you regurgitate it from a textbook, and you think you're awesome doing that and how 'bout them apples and all that Gordon Wood business?
mattl

Postby shawnp » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:05 pm

BU West and I'm sure a few others have all the suspended service street stops on the E line listed.
shawnp

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:14 am

shawnp wrote:BU West and I'm sure a few others have all the suspended service street stops on the E line listed.

Hynes, Park, and GC still have them.
F-line to Dudley via Park

Postby rhodiecub2 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:56 am

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:
shawnp wrote:BU West and I'm sure a few others have all the suspended service street stops on the E line listed.

Hynes, Park, and GC still have them.

Those green line maps also have the distinction of having the four stops on the B Line (Greycliff Road, Mount Hood Road, Summit Avenue, Fordham Road) that are now eliminated.
rhodiecub2

Postby sjp123usa » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:12 pm

Where do we find the maps of the Commuter Rail system from the days when it went all the way into New Hampshire?
sjp123usa

Postby RedLantern » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:39 pm

sjp123usa wrote:Where do we find the maps of the Commuter Rail system from the days when it went all the way into New Hampshire?

As I said before, the one at the taxi area at Lowell still showed it going to Concord, someone else said that the map was recently painted over, would this be an official paint job, or graffiti?
Trains aren't dangerous, it's lack of common sense that's dangerous.
RedLantern

Postby onthegreenline » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:38 am

check out Copley inbound - a few original 1967 A Line maps uncovered on the construction side. Outbound the early 70's map with Charlestown EL is viewable again...
onthegreenline

Postby sery2831 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:06 am

The painted over sign in Lowell.
Attachments
0517091103.jpg
0517091103.jpg (31.57 KiB) Viewed 1467 times
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

Postby sjp123usa » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:07 pm

But, I do not mean where are the old NH-bound commuter rail maps posted in stations; I just mean where in the world can I find one. Like a scanned gif or something...
sjp123usa

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:10 pm

sjp123usa wrote:But, I do not mean where are the old NH-bound commuter rail maps posted in stations; I just mean where in the world can I find one. Like a scanned gif or something...

The 1980 system map, the year they tried the experimental NH service. Note the conspicuously long gap between Lowell and Nashua, which briefly got filled in by an intermediate stop at Merrimack. Also showing the still-running Woburn branch service that ran until 1981, the then-newly restored Fitchburg line past South Acton with the Gardner extension that lasted till 1987, the then- brand new Fairmount line that all NEC traffic was rerouted over until '87 while the SW corridor was closed for reconstruction (look Ma!...no NEC through Boston!), no Needham line (closed until '87 for SW Corridor reconstruction), first appearance of Mishawum on a map (even though it didn't open until '84), Pawtucket-Central Falls station which only lasted another year before the Providence line shrunk back to Attleboro, Franklin line without Forge Park (didn't open until '89), the far-truncated Newburyport and Worcester lines, no Old Colony service, and conspicuously absent intermediate stations on several lines. Plus the planned but never enacted Rosemont extension of the Haverhill line and Lawrence branch service to Methuen and Route 213 park-and-ride, and the Tufts stop on the Lowell line that actually closed a year earlier. And if you squint really closely at the rapid-transit map you can see the Red Line Braintree branch still incomplete, no OL-CR transfers on Haymarket-North, and no Alewife RL extension.

Hard to believe that for a brief spell there during the '79-80 northside expansions and the SW Corridor reconstruction the northside was once twice as large as the southside...and that for a 2 week span in '81 before the end of NH service it got even more lopsided with Providence and Pawtucket being cut.
F-line to Dudley via Park

Postby mattl » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:09 am

Aquarium has a weird map, from 2000... it shows the silver line dotted, which presumably means 'coming soon' or something.

There's also one at Logan, Terminal A arrivals, which looks like the current system map, but has water colouring added in a vague way for the bits of water around Boston.

Also, saw a roll-sign for Ashmont/Park St on a train to Alewife.
Oh, I bet you read a lot of Gordon Wood, huh? You read your Gordon Wood and you regurgitate it from a textbook, and you think you're awesome doing that and how 'bout them apples and all that Gordon Wood business?
mattl

Postby djlong » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:45 am

Just picking a nit - Merrimack was (and still is) between Nashua and Manchester. The citizens of Merrimack demanded a stop in their town by literally picketing the rail line. Contrast those actions in the "anti-rail" state of NH with how Hingham and Scituate reacted to the Greenbush plans in "pro-rail" MA.
djlong

Postby mattl » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:52 am

Another one today... Haymarket, Orange Line, heading towards North Station.. old style map, like the one at Government Center on the Blue line with the solid colours for different lines.
mattl

Postby rhodiecub2 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:21 pm

Does the red line have any of those old style maps at any of the stations?
rhodiecub2

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)