Official thread of the GUEST SERIES

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Postby McTed » Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:03 pm

If you’ll recall the 15/1600’s had a double cab and the passenger seats were set up more like the inside of a bus. They also were not completely ATO before the rebuild. Removing the extra cab and rearranging the seating gain quite a bit of space for passengers.
McTed

Postby McTed » Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:09 pm

Unfortunately for the rail fans the fireman’s window (Guard side) is not a top priority in train design in fact other then making enough space for the motormen or guard to look through IHMO the MBTA doesn’t even give it any thought at all.
McTed

Postby octr202 » Fri Sep 17, 2004 9:04 am

Two more:

Will the Blue Line retain one-person operation when it goes to six car trains?

Are there plans to add some form of ATO like the Red and Orange Lines, and are the new cars being built with any provisions for this?

Thanks!
Last edited by octr202 on Fri Sep 17, 2004 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wondering if I'll see the Haverhill double-tracking finished before I retire...
Photo: Melbourne W7 No. 1019 on Route 78, Bridge & Church Streets, Richmond, Victoria. 10/21/2010
octr202

Location: In the land of the once and future 73 trackless trolley.

Postby Robert Paniagua » Fri Sep 17, 2004 1:07 pm

Unfortunately for the rail fans the fireman’s window (Guard side) is not a top priority in train design in fact other then making enough space for the motormen or guard to look through IHMO the MBTA doesn’t even give it any thought at all.

Ok, I thought they would allow for the fireman's side window to be wide open on all non-Reddy trains as well, would have been nice, but maybe when the 01700s go for their overhaul in a few years, they'll shrink the ATO compartment and enlarge the railfan window.
~Robert Paniagua
Moderator: WMATA :: General Railroad Operations
Robert Paniagua

Postby lstrong » Fri Sep 17, 2004 2:53 pm

I noticed they are testing some noise abatement systems with a few blue line cars. Are there any plans to install these systems on other cars or lines?
lstrong

Postby McTed » Fri Sep 17, 2004 4:59 pm

Yes-No-No-Yes!!!! LOL Just kidding I couldn’t resist.

Will the Blue Line retain one-person operation when it goes to six car trains?

Yes!!! The six-car Blue Line will still only as long a four-car Red line train.

Are there plans to add some form of ATO like the Red and Orange Lines, and are the new cars being built with any provisions for this?

No!!!! There is talk about doing something every once and a while but as for the now the current word is no.

Ok, I thought they would allow for the fireman's side window to be wide open on all non-Reddy trains as well, would have been nice, but maybe when the 01700s go for their overhaul in a few years, they'll shrink the ATO compartment and enlarge the rail fan window.

If and when the 1700’s get a mid-life rebuild I unless the upgrade the ATO system I doubt they’ll be any changes to the ATO case they currently have installed.

I noticed they are testing some noise abatement systems with a few blue line cars. Are there any plans to install these systems on other cars or lines?

Yes the bonatron noise absorber appears to be the choice of Siemens. Siemens is required by contract to supply some type of noise abatement system. The Bonatron noise absorber looks like a 2 piece hubcap install of the Penn machine unit, which looks like a segmented wheel hub.
McTed

Postby McTed » Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:06 pm

Sorry about the grammar in the last post I use MS Word for spelling and grammar to write my responses first and for some reason all of it did not paste over correctly.
McTed

Postby McTed » Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:29 pm

Although this is not the end, in fact “it’s the beginning of a beautiful friendship”. (LOL sorry can’t help myself sometimes) (Ok, Ok, I wont give up my day job but at least now you know why I’m in transportation maintenance and not comedy. LOL)
I hope my answers helped to fill in some of the blanks for your questions the last few days; I really enjoyed myself even although my fingers are a little sore from all the typing. I hope my responses were timely enough to the questions you asked. Just because the series is about to end does not mean you can’t ask questions as they come up in the future, your always welcome to ask an open question in the forum or now that you know who I am send me an email. I’ll be happy to help you in anyway I can. If you have a question about a particular car or incident answered please be sure to include the car number, date and approximate time, when the incident occurred. Any open ended questions you may have asked I will address in the coming days and try to get back to the individuals by email as soon as possible.

Thank You and Best Regards

Ted McAuley (McTed)

Edward J. McAuley
Superintendent
Blue Line Maintenance

Orient Heights Carhouse
1069 Bennington St
East Boston, MA 02128
emcauley@mbta.com
McTed@lycos.com
McTed

Previous

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)