Wacky Red Line schedule

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Postby trigonalmayhem » Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:44 am

woah, what the?

that whole schedule makes no sense, really.
trigonalmayhem

Postby SbooX » Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:06 am

ALL YOUR SCHEDULE ARE BELONG TO US!

:wink:
SbooX

Postby octr202 » Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:32 am

Those 18 minute headways ought to work real well with the four car trains on the weekends too...
Wondering if I'll see the Haverhill double-tracking finished before I retire...
Photo: Melbourne W7 No. 1019 on Route 78, Bridge & Church Streets, Richmond, Victoria. 10/21/2010
octr202

Location: In the land of the once and future 73 trackless trolley.

Postby fm535 » Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:29 pm

I ride the Red Line down to Braintree 5 to 6 times a week, and at all different times, and between the crawl caused by the derailment at Wollaston, and just normal T operations, that 18 minute time frame at off-peak hours is really typical. God help anyone trying to get anywhere in an expeditious manner on that branch. I don't believe that schedule is a mis-print!!!!
fm535

Postby efin98 » Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:33 pm

The derailment at Wollaston and some upcoming work in the Braintree Line(yeah, more delays are coming!) may be the reason for the uneven headways with some of the trains destined for Braintree instead routed to Ashmont.
efin98

Postby trigonalmayhem » Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:17 pm

why the long headways during midday weekday, though?
the weekend headways are SHORTER?
I mean ... come on?
trigonalmayhem

Postby apodino » Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:24 pm

If I might offer a suggestion, isn't there still a weekend bustitution on the Ashmont Line due to the construction of all the stations? If so, that would free up a lot of equipment for Braintree and allow for smaller headways, which would keep normal headways between Andrew and Alewife. On the weekdays, when you have two branches, this is no longer the case, and you need equipment for both lines.
Rich "Dino" Martin
A one time happy rider of Arborway and the old Washington St. El.
apodino

Postby efin98 » Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:37 pm

trigonalmayhem wrote:why the long headways during midday weekday, though?
the weekend headways are SHORTER?
I mean ... come on?

Quirks of scheduling and number of boardins at stations sometimes have that effect. Freaky scheduling does happen, but I believe there is a valid reason for why the headways are so short and so long. Might not have been announced yet but I have a feeling some project is going to cause the delays and headway changes on the line.
efin98

Postby efin98 » Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:47 pm

apodino wrote:If I might offer a suggestion, isn't there still a weekend bustitution on the Ashmont Line due to the construction of all the stations? If so, that would free up a lot of equipment for Braintree and allow for smaller headways, which would keep normal headways between Andrew and Alewife. On the weekdays, when you have two branches, this is no longer the case, and you need equipment for both lines.

There is only bustitution between JFK/UMass and Savin Hill, the rest of the Ashmont Line is still running on a regular schedule(albeit slow around the work zone).

I read on another website that there is going to be work done on the Braintree Line this fall, it was cryptic but it did indicate it is going to be a major project that would affect service on the Braintree Line. I would not be surprised if there was going to be single tracking on the line, which may also explain why the Ashmont Line has so many trains while the Braintree Line has so few. Ashmont can handle more trains thanks to the layup tracks beyond the station, Braintree on the other hand can only handle one train at a time over the stretch of the project if it's single tracking. More information is probably going to be known in the next few weeks, I believe the next schedule change isn't until the end of the month.
efin98

Postby ST214 » Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:12 pm

It appears to me that the times are listed under the wrong days.
Hoping for a rebirth of the Screamer fleet.
ST214

Postby willfh » Sat Sep 11, 2004 2:08 am

I believe it is in error, the 1 and 8 are spaced too far, looks like a typo. the real headways are much tighter
willfh

Postby fm535 » Sat Sep 11, 2004 3:33 pm

Ed, you are correct about the work to be done in the fall...actually next weekend!!! Seat-lets were left out this morning (Sat 9-11) for upcoming bus-titution between JFK and Quincy CTR, all next weekend. I can expect a long commute to/from Braintree on both days, I am sure! Its states there will be track work on that stretch and rehab to the Redfield St bridge in Dorchester, as well.
fm535

Postby Robert Paniagua » Sat Sep 11, 2004 11:57 pm

Same here, fm535, I have to take that same line down to Braintree to, from Boston on the way home.
~Robert Paniagua
Moderator: WMATA :: General Railroad Operations
Robert Paniagua

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)