Derailment at Norh Station (Fleet Center) Yard 9/9

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Derailment at Norh Station (Fleet Center) Yard 9/9

Postby StevieC48 » Thu Sep 09, 2004 3:42 pm

Here we go again another derailment. This time in the Fleet Center Yard, sitll awaiting type of car that derailed. Everything but Boston College trains are being turned at Goverment Center.However thay are using the crossover before North Station and crossing the cars back in the station.

Any bets on the type pf car????????? :wink:
Farewell old friend thanks for the memories.
#4 EBT cars Hawker Siddley 1978-2009

Instructor/Inspector SERY
Member 25 years proud
StevieC48

Postby MBTA1 » Thu Sep 09, 2004 3:57 pm

Alex, What is Breda?

Just another thing to add to their permanent record.
MBTA1

Postby efin98 » Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:07 pm

Sounds to me like it's a normal derailment, they don't only happen to the Type 8s you know. If it was a Type 8 it would have been reported on the ne.transportation newsgroup and on the NETransit website, neither of which has happened yet. Considering the B is running to the station and not the E I wouldn't be surprised if it was a Type 7 or Boeing LRV that derailed instead of the Type 8, they are due for a derailment themselves(haven't heard of one this year so far).
efin98

Postby jwhite07 » Thu Sep 09, 2004 6:14 pm

If it was a Type 8 it would have been reported on the ne.transportation newsgroup and on the NETransit website, neither of which has happened yet.

Jonathan Belcher isn't quite omnipotent, and he certainly doesn't sit at his phone all day waiting for word from his connections, so that he might leap to his computer and send the word to the masses instantaneously. The incident was only a few hours ago. Give it some time!

BTW, that may take a while, because I'm sure the MBTA is not going to be particularly vocal about a "minor" incident (it did not occur on revenue trackage or involve passengers).

Oh, and I'm betting it was a Type 8, too. :P :( :wink:
jwhite07

Derailment at North Station (Fleet Center Yard) 9/9

Postby StevieC48 » Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:21 am

The car that derailed yesterday was Type 7 3610, which its rear truck derailed due to a switch malfunction. No damage to the car should be in service as early as of today.
Farewell old friend thanks for the memories.
#4 EBT cars Hawker Siddley 1978-2009

Instructor/Inspector SERY
Member 25 years proud
StevieC48

Postby jwhite07 » Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:26 am

Okay, well that's good news at least.

Good thing I didn't put any money on my pessimist bet! :wink:
jwhite07

Postby efin98 » Fri Sep 10, 2004 12:49 pm

jwhite07 wrote:Okay, well that's good news at least.

Good thing I didn't put any money on my pessimist bet! :wink:

I would have wanted to collect on that bet too :-D

I am an optimist with them from now on, there has been too much spent on the Type 8s for something to happen to them that is not routine. The Type 7s were due for a derailment at some point, every train type has one typically and it's been a while since I had heard of a Type 7 derailment. No big deal, just a pain in the neck. You knew it had to have been something minor for trains to still be running to the station, especially the B Line which has Type 8s on it.

I give the T credit for having the smarts to allow trains to use the lower level from the eastbound direction, service really would have been screwed up if that wasn't possible. Probably going to be used only in case of the terminal track being out of service, but still a great addition to the line.
efin98

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)