AFC Name?

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

AFC Name?

Postby vanshnookenraggen » Sat Sep 04, 2004 6:29 am

It looks like they are gonna have a name for the new AFC system. At least it looks like the T is gonna go ahead with the system.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2004/09/04/new_t_pass_needs_name_to_go/

I like the last idea, "Charlie Card"
vanshnookenraggen

Postby efin98 » Sat Sep 04, 2004 7:28 am

"T Go" sounds the best and may be the easiest to remember. I like the "Charlie Card" idea, and for some reason I think that may fall flat outside of railfans, Kinston Trio fans, and old timers(no offense to anybody meant by that).

How about a varient to "T Go"? "Go T" anybody? :P
efin98

Postby fm535 » Sat Sep 04, 2004 8:37 am

What is Boston famous for - T Leaf ! :-D
fm535

Postby jwhite07 » Sat Sep 04, 2004 9:32 am

And in Seattle and surrounding counties around Puget Sound, though it has yet to be officially announced, the new automated fare system will be named Orca, after the species of whale that populates the waters there.

Okay... then for us, how about "Fare Cod"? (Say it aloud in a Boston accent).

:-D
jwhite07

Postby efin98 » Sat Sep 04, 2004 11:15 am

jwhite07 wrote:Okay... then for us, how about "Fare Cod"? (Say it aloud in a Boston accent).

:-D

We are going to be the butt of every joke around with some of these names, glad the T isn't leaving the name up to us :-D
efin98

Postby trigonalmayhem » Sat Sep 04, 2004 11:22 am

haha
re: "T Go"

Also, why be so fancy about this stuff? Can't we just call it a farecard or a "T Pass?" I somehow imagine the people of Boston to be a little more pragmatic than having to be goaded into using something by giving it a stupid name.
trigonalmayhem

Postby bellstbarn » Sat Sep 04, 2004 2:09 pm

As of 9.4.2004 there are eighteen pages of suggestions on the boston.com message board, most of them quite good. One person urged T-Rip, as in rip-off or maybe trip.
bellstbarn

Postby Cotuit » Sat Sep 04, 2004 2:12 pm

trigonalmayhem wrote:Also, why be so fancy about this stuff? Can't we just call it a farecard or a "T Pass?" I somehow imagine the people of Boston to be a little more pragmatic than having to be goaded into using something by giving it a stupid name.

Agreed, just call it "T Card" to make it different from the current "T Pass."

Though that "T Leaf" idea ain't bad, considering what some other cities have, octopus, oyster... I could see some nice leaf motif in the logo. Of course I worry that the T would squander the opportunity for good graphics. :(
Cotuit

Postby parovozis » Sat Sep 04, 2004 7:37 pm

T-Kit, perhaps? (Say it aloud as one word :wink: )
parovozis

Postby BC Eagle » Sun Sep 05, 2004 12:07 am

If it works well, the MBTA plans to eventually usher in peak-period pricing, under which commuters would pay more for a rush-hour ride.

I'm surprised this hasn't caused more of a stir. Are there transit systems that actually engage in this practice. It just seems wrong to me. Also, are they planning on getting rid of T passes as well?
BC Eagle

Postby trigonalmayhem » Sun Sep 05, 2004 12:45 am

Yeah, that bothered me a little too.

For a few reasons:

It seems to be modeled after peak pricing for roadways that has been suggsted to curb congestion. Ok, so the T is congested during rush-hours. The problem is people have no other option generally. With the road pricing they expect some people to convert to mass transit, I assume. The only way to avoid the pricing hike is to reschedule your trip for an earlier/later time.
This would be quite impractical for a whole host of reasons, but mostly because people use the T to get to work, and their employers set their hours.

I don't know if they somehow think that this kind of system would better distribute trips throughout the day to relieve pressure on the system during rush hour, but I think it would actually just drive rivers away entirely, not to other time slots in the day.

Also, would charging people more to ride during certain hours really help improve service during those hours? As I mentioned before, peak-pricing's main purpose is to shoo people away from using a system during certain hours so congestion will dissipate. I don't understand how that would be a good thing for the T (plus there would be some kind of an equation to balance for how much extra they'd need to charge based on how many riders were driven away by the higher cost ... I'm sure it would reach some equilibrium but it still doesn't seem like a good idea).

Sorry about this being a little scattered, it's pretty late.
trigonalmayhem

Postby Ron Newman » Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:08 am

DC Metro has higher fares during peak periods. Are there any others in North America?
Ron Newman

Postby efin98 » Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:42 am

Ron Newman wrote:DC Metro has higher fares during peak periods. Are there any others in North America?

From what I have read the answer seems to be no, all of the others are one base fare all day and night. Only the commuter rail in some places has peak and off peak fares in all other places except Washington.
efin98

Postby efin98 » Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:52 am

BC Eagle wrote:
If it works well, the MBTA plans to eventually usher in peak-period pricing, under which commuters would pay more for a rush-hour ride.

I'm surprised this hasn't caused more of a stir. Are there transit systems that actually engage in this practice. It just seems wrong to me. Also, are they planning on getting rid of T passes as well?

Where would anyone get the idea that the T would be doing that? There has been no evidence to that the MBTA would do that, and if it was it would have been done already with the current technology. All it would require would be raising the price of a token from the booth, and that only requires signs plastered all over the place. If it hasn't been done already it isn't going to happen after the turnover to the new technology.
efin98

Bring back "Dime Time!"

Postby bingdude » Sun Sep 05, 2004 10:36 am

Peak and off peak fares? Wow. Remember Dime Time from the early 70s? It was a real pain to carry out--as I remember they had a guy standing next to a fare box at Harvard for those two hours as the turstiles weren't set up for it.
bingdude

Next

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)