New Orange and Red Line Car Acquisition Process

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: New Orange and Red Line Car Acquisition Process

Postby BandA » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:06 pm

I would think you would always want to use Feddybucks. But the CRRC underbid was so large that it probably works out okay for Taxxachu$$ett$.

I recently drove by the CRRC plant at night. Couldn't see much though the fencing. The CRRC logo is creepy.
User avatar
BandA
 
Posts: 2409
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:47 am

Re: New Orange and Red Line Car Acquisition Process

Postby dieciduej » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:09 pm

BandA wrote:But the CRRC underbid was so large that it probably works out okay for Taxxachu$$ett$.


Only if the orders are ToT (Time on Target), no major technical hiccups or ECO (Engineering Change Orders). And we can get at least 35 years out of them before GOHs (General Overhauls). Wow three (3) acronyms!
JoeD

Member of IEEE, BSRA, ERA, BERA, SPH&TS, SFRH&MS, RGM&HS, UPHS, NHRHTA, NE PRRT&HS and PRRT&HS

This message was sent from a DEC VT100!
User avatar
dieciduej
 
Posts: 591
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 9:37 am

Re: New Orange and Red Line Car Acquisition Process

Postby BandA » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:17 pm

CRRC is trying to make their reputation on this order. Plus I think they should be able to find enough trainable, competent workers in the area. As for 35 years before GOH, that's the area that's gonna fail. I imagine they would also have plenty of managers/supervisors that want to work in USA that they won't have the problems that Hyundai-Rotem had. Dealing with U.S. unions is presumably a culture shock for them. (I'm just assuming they are unionized).
User avatar
BandA
 
Posts: 2409
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:47 am

Re: New Orange and Red Line Car Acquisition Process

Postby bgl » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:13 am

dieciduej wrote:Only if the orders are ToT (Time on Target), no major technical hiccups or ECO (Engineering Change Orders). And we can get at least 35 years out of them before GOHs (General Overhauls). Wow three (3) acronyms!


True, but, the use of federal funding vs state only funding won't change the end results of this.

BandA wrote:I would think you would always want to use Feddybucks. But the CRRC underbid was so large that it probably works out okay for Taxxachu$$ett$.


Strange how Massachusetts continually ranks middle of the pack of all states in tax burden.
bgl
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:40 pm

Previous

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests