An idea to make all doors open on Green line surface stops

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Postby Cotuit » Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:00 am

parovozis wrote:
Railsfuture1 wrote:Having exit control would be very inconvienant for a lot of people.

What's the difference between paying as you enter and paying as you exit? (As long as we talk about subway stations, not GL trains.)

A train empties a crowd of passenger all at once, rushing to the turnstiles, fumbling for passes/change. Paying before boarding, passengers arrive at the turnstile one at a time, not in one full mass.

Think of the annoyance of waiting for bozos in front of you boarding a bus that didn't spend any of the wait time preparing their fare, now you get to wait behind them getting off the subway too.
Cotuit

Postby parovozis » Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:18 pm

You are right. But who says life is easy and fair to everyone? :-)
parovozis

Postby Cotuit » Sat Sep 04, 2004 2:08 pm

parovozis wrote:You are right. But who says life is easy and fair to everyone? :-)

It's not, but why go out of your way to make it more difficult?
Cotuit

Postby parovozis » Sat Sep 04, 2004 7:28 pm

Just a bit more difficult for some, but much easier for the socium in general. Remember, the point was to make the Green line faster by opening all doors.

By the way, at least SF BART and DC Metro use exit fare control, and they don't seem to be upset about it.
parovozis

Postby efin98 » Sun Sep 05, 2004 12:04 am

parovozis wrote:By the way, at least SF BART and DC Metro use exit fare control, and they don't seem to be upset about it.

I think you misunderstand why those cities have that system. Theirs is distance based according to the starting point in the system, every other system in the US is not either one fare or zoned fares(payable on exit or on the train). If Boston was to convert to a distance based fare system then paying as you exit will happen but considering that only two train branches in the entire train system would need that a "pay as you leave" system it's not goign to happen.
efin98

Postby Ron Newman » Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:07 am

neither BART nor DC Metro have streetcars as part of their systems.
Ron Newman

Postby efin98 » Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:35 am

Ron Newman wrote:neither BART nor DC Metro have streetcars as part of their systems.

True, they also don't have the short length that Boston has either.
efin98

Postby parovozis » Sun Sep 05, 2004 8:49 pm

Ron Newman wrote:neither BART nor DC Metro have streetcars as part of their systems.

Did I say they had?
parovozis

Postby Pete » Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:58 am

This thread is too interesting for the little time I have to devote to it right now, but I do want to raise a question that maybe has been answered and I'm reading too quickly to realize it.

With the exit-pay system, what about the revenue loss from people boarding the three rapid lines and exiting at Green surface stops?

Who's providing public oversight to the fare system? Is there an advisory committee or other input process beyond the naming aspect? I'm particularly annoyed at how it's been handled since it's important to find a way to speed Green Line boarding, particularly with Arborway restoration and with the recent speed concerns with the Type 8s. And the T seems resigned that it can't work.
Pete

No no no

Postby jumbotusk » Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:26 pm

No no no.... the idea I believe the oringal poster is making is on the green line inbound you pay as you exit. ALl other lines remain the same.

i.e. Trip from Davis to BU East. You pay at Davis. That's it.
Return trip. Get on at BU East for free. Pay as you exit the green line at park, onto the red line platform. Go to Davis.

OR....

Cleveland Circ to Kenmore. Board, and pay as you exit at Kenmore. Going outbound for the return, pay as you enter the system as usual.

The trick is just to separate the inbound and outbound passengers for fare collection at green line subway stops.
jumbotusk

Re: No no no

Postby Cotuit » Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:01 pm

jumbotusk wrote:The trick is just to separate the inbound and outbound passengers for fare collection at green line subway stops.

And that would be quite a trick. Park is the busiest transfer point in the system.

That also doesn't address the issue of people proceeding beyond Park on the Green Line. You'd also have to have internal fare collection at GC, Haymarket, and North Station. I think the confusion it would cause, and the cost to implement and run these internal fare controls are not worth the benefits you would reap on the Green Line surface stops.
Cotuit

BC Eagle...

Postby Plaidline » Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:53 pm

I hate the B line too. What part of the line are you on though? I live near BC, and I walk to Reservoir and save 30 minutes. I rarely take the B line to go further inbound than Kenmore.
Plaidline

Previous

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)