Red Line shutdown, 9/3-6, Kendall to Park St

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Postby efin98 » Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:08 pm

The easiest way on and off the Longfellow Bridge appears to be by way of Cambridge Street rather than Charlse Street so that may explain why buses were routed around the Common rather than up Park Street to Charles Street. The loop around the Common also helps in boarding and dumping passengers at the station since passengers would not have to cross Park Street to reach the buses. The T made the best possible choice in it's routing, even if it may have been a pain in the neck it was a brilliant plan. The streets just don't allow any easier routing.

And I can't fault the T because of traffic. It's a holliday weekend, people are out on the roads. The T did mention to add extra time in trips that involved the two affected lines, a half hour for delays and a half hour for traffic ain't too bad. Think of it this way: it could have been worse, the bridge could have been closed down and the T could have routed all shuttle buses over to the Science Park area.
efin98

Postby Fred Stacey » Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:58 pm

Sadly, that's just the way the T operates. It's nothing more than low-class service to all, and sadly that will be the outcome for them, which stinks in my opinion.

I hope that you guys get the picture now.......
Fred Stacey

Postby efin98 » Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:35 pm

Fred Stacey wrote:Sadly, that's just the way the T operates. It's nothing more than low-class service to all, and sadly that will be the outcome for them, which stinks in my opinion.

I hope that you guys get the picture now.......

What picture is that? The T did things the way it was supposed to be done over the weekend. The trouble that occured is beyond the T's doing, blame it on bad drivers and the city since they are the ones who caused the delays. The T explicably told travelers using the shuttle buses to expect to add onto their usual times because of the work over the weekend, can't say the T didn't warn people.
efin98

Postby Ron Newman » Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:58 pm

The city should have made Charles Street (between Beacon Street and Cambridge Street) temporarily two-way while this bus shuttle was going on. This requires only putting some orange cones down the middle of the street.
Ron Newman

Postby efin98 » Tue Sep 07, 2004 6:30 pm

Ron Newman wrote:The city should have made Charles Street (between Beacon Street and Cambridge Street) temporarily two-way while this bus shuttle was going on. This requires only putting some orange cones down the middle of the street.

Why? The street would only lead to the offramp from the bridge and unless you want to block off the whole south side of the bridge for shuttle buses it is impossible to get where the buses need to go. Cambridge Street is the best and only routing to the bridge that the buses could have used, why send them any place else when it's infeasable to do so?
efin98

Postby octr202 » Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:42 am

Sadly, the T seems to be developing a bad track record on replacement shuttles. Having used the Green Line shuttle a few times, I can attest that its just not working well -- I feel sorry for people that have to use it daily.

I can't comment on how well the Red Line shuttle worked or didn't this weekend, but it sounds like the biggest problem was a lack of buses. Traffic that delays buses is somehting that the T really can't control, but, they should not be excused from having done some homework prior to the shuttle going into effect to find out how bad traffic is, and how much it will delay buses. The Lechmere shuttle (at least earlier this summer, through most of July and August -- I haven't been on it recently) clearly did not have enough buses to compensate for the severe traffic congestion on the route. With buses stuck in traffic, the headways grow longer and longer, and people end up waiting 10, 15, 20 minutes for a bus that's packed to the gills. One afternoon, a trip took me 45 minutes to reach North Station from the time I left Lechmere!
Wondering if I'll see the Haverhill double-tracking finished before I retire...
Photo: Melbourne W7 No. 1019 on Route 78, Bridge & Church Streets, Richmond, Victoria. 10/21/2010
octr202

Location: In the land of the once and future 73 trackless trolley.

Postby jwhite07 » Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:20 am

Operating bus shuttles in place of rail service in Boston is a losing proposition from the get-go. While rail services generally go from point A to point B in a relatively direct manner, trying to duplicate that route on Boston's cowpaths-turned-streets is a nightmare. Those few streets that are suitable for a transit bus to negotiate are more often than not choked with traffic, and you just "cahn't get theyah from heah" in a straight shot.

Even relatively uncomplicated shuttle routes are tough. The Lechmere Shuttle is a prime example - local roads follow the routing fairly closely all the way, but you just can't do it because they're narrow, or one way in the wrong direction, or whatever. So instead you have Haymarket kinda-sorta directly served (except the stop isn't in the busway where one might expect it to be), North Station is several blocks away from a subway connection, and beyond North Station the routing is ridiculously convoluted because elevated demolition work is closing roads, and all of the roads are perpetually gridlocked anyhow.

A couple of good things about the situation - it certainly underscores the importance and value of rail transit in a city like ours, and it gets me to do a little more walking than I otherwise might! :-)
jwhite07

Previous

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)